Making the MIG researchable?

Chris

I like having research project early in the game and the MIG fits the bill for me. I didn't see it on the research tree as an item to research for over a week after I had the ability to do so. I would like to see researchable items easier to see, such as highlighted or backlit or whatever gets the attention of the player fast. Sounds like I am a real noob, but I watch it pretty close and a real new player might not see it and get it researched in time.

You could make it researchable after researching the scout.

Tie it in by saying "if ships get any bigger we will need a more powerful interceptor".

That way you have to down, recover, and research the biggest of the three small ships before getting the heavier interceptor.

That does move away from having the Mig as a research project that is available at the start of the game though.

I don't think i like the idea of haveing to shoot down a corvette first. The optimal would be to have it ready in about the time corvettes show up so that you still get to fight the corvette with 3 F-17s if you messed up, but don't need to if you played fairly ok.

Amiga: I don't think it would be fun. If you think it would you could probably impose that rule on youself, while being open to others exploring other options/balance solutions. The problem as I see it is that you can be forced to fight several corvettes without the MiG.

And as Gauddlike has already said, we lose the "from the start" research.

I'm not afraid of it. I'm just not seeing the fun in it. If you think it is far more amusing there is nothing stopping you from doing it. I just don't want anything stopping me (assuming I'm not neglecting the research) from being able to use MiGs (as intended) against the corvettes.

You are makeing a very big deal of me not enjoying your idea. Suggesting you are pushing very hard for this. Why is it so important that you force people to fight corvettes without the MiG?

Edited by Gorlom

• 3 weeks later...

I`m personally satisfied with current MIG-into-two-techs unlock. Honestly, i forgot about MIG at first place. I`ve played 8+ version for the last time, so this huge gap presented me a nice bunch of 'wows' (new chinokee, new farmland, new interception screens, new aliens and well-done ufos etc.).

I didn`t prepare hangars for MIG from the start. Only after the 'Alien Invasion' tech i`ve started building several new hangars. I assume that this way will all the newcomers use on their first play through and i consider this to be a perfect way to introduce players to research, production and base screens.

In the first few days in the game, there's usually few things to research and even fewer things to manufacture. It makes sense to have to some research to get told about the Mig and then to start manufacturing it. It lets players get introduced to the research screens early, and get a feel for the manufacturing process.

The players then have to start thinking about their R&D strategy early, asking questions like, "Should I be building more labs?", "Is 10 technicians really enough for building things per base?", etc.

I'm assuming there will be more advanced craft to research and build in the later game, so I see nothing wrong with letting the player experiment with the MIGs before the Corvettes arrive.

By the way, when do the Corvettes start making an appearance? I'm in the second month in 9.2 and all I have flying around are the fighters that always crash into the all-encompassing sea.

Edited by BuzuBuzu

By the way, when do the Corvettes start making an appearance? I'm in the second month in 9.2 and all I have flying around are the fighters that always crash into the all-encompassing sea

It depends on the difficulty and on how well you interfere aliens with their affairs. Try wait bit more,

And they mistakenly detected as same size as fighter. You never know is this a corvette before intercept.

And the corvette "crashsite" is not finished for now.

• 2 months later...

I think it'd be more sensible to start with four hangars and only two F-17s and the Chinook. If people buy an extra F-17 then fair enough, but they'll only ever do that on their first playthrough.

Will we be able to buy more aircraft, or at the very least build aircraft with similar attributes of the F17? The reason I ask is that the production of just the MIG is counter to my strategy (I have at least 1 F17 and 1 MIG in my squadron). Due to screwups, I have lost two F17s, but I need them for my strategy.

1 F17 and 1 MIG enters battle

-Afterburn F17, Leave MIG on Default Throttle

-F17 in range of ET, fires sidewinders, ET evades Sidewinder

-MIG comes in range of ET during roll, Fires Sidewinders, hits ET at new position, Destroys

It depends on the difficulty and on how well you interfere aliens with their affairs. Try wait bit more,

And they mistakenly detected as same size as fighter. You never know is this a corvette before intercept.

And the corvette "crashsite" is not finished for now.

You can easily tell a corvette by its very slow speed; a leisurely 850 km/h.

Will we be able to buy more aircraft, or at the very least build aircraft with similar attributes of the F17? The reason I ask is that the production of just the MIG is counter to my strategy (I have at least 1 F17 and 1 MIG in my squadron). Due to screwups, I have lost two F17s, but I need them for my strategy.

You can already buy more F17's (and Chinooks). Go to the aircraft equip screen and either click or mouseover the empty hanger slots on the right to get a pop up button to buy one.

Interestingly, people seem to be getting hungup on aircraft without actually seeing or using the *new* aircraft that will need to be researched and built. I suspect strongly that Chris and Co have both advanced dogfighters and advanced intercepters waiting in the wings so to speak.

waiting in the wings

..and today's pun king is Buzzles. Congratulations.

perhaps all this is slightly due to your interceptors getting their butts handed to them on a regular basis? I'm often surprised at just how many craft I need. It's more that I was far too comfortable with EU than any failing at all with Xenonauts.