Grenade range adjustment?

catmorbid

Yeah, I know, but for grenades it doesn't seem to work. The "gasgrenade" bullettype which is used by all grenades gives them the nice arc of throw + ability to fly over obstacles but also seems to have a bunch of other hardcoded behaviour tied to it.

I did make a grenade launcher based off the grenade code (see my mod thread in the forum), but there's some problems with it, hence the question :)

I'm pretty sure it only works with bulletType="rocket":

<Weapon name="weapon.ags17" bulletType="rocket" emptySound="Empty Click 1">	<props range="70" hands="2" recoil="0" weight="31" isHeavy="1" clipSize="30" reloadAPCost="50" reloadSound="Weapon Shotgun Reload" reactionModifier="0.5"  disableReactionFire="1" disableDamageScaling="1" />	<SingleShot />	<BurstFire ap="80" accuracy="30" sound="Weapon Assault Rifle Burst" delay="0.7" burstdelay="0.05" shotCount="6" suppressionValue="40" suppressionRadius="3" />	<GUIImage name="gui/mod/ags17.png"/>	<GroundImage name="grounditemimages/ballistic_machinegun.png"/>	<Ammos>		<Ammo name="ammo.ags17_ammo" type="kinetic" damage="30" mitigation="0" isOverdamage="1">			<Projectile spectre="projectiles/grenades/grenade_frag" speed="1000" />	<Impact spectre="particles/explosion/explosion" radius="1.5" sound="Weapon Frag Grenade" fireChance="5" smokeChance="5" gasType="GrenadeFragSmoke" />	</Ammo>	</Ammos></Weapon>

That's how I have it for the AGL's in M'nauts. I think that's pretty much the only way to do it. The nades don't have an arc though, it's like direct fire, but it does look like nades (because of the projectile image). Slowing down the spectre will probably make it look better too. Stick a disclaimer in the Xenopedia saying that 'nauts aren't allowed to use indirect fire, and you can get away with it.

Now that I'm in front of my own computer, there's a key variable that people have (unsurprisingly) missed, because you don't see it on many (if any!) grenades, and it was only mentioned in passing by Aaron several complete builds ago. Here's a line from the flare with the key variable highlighted.

<props range="20" hands="1" recoil="0" weight="0" isHeavy="0" clipSize="1" reloadAPCost="0" disableDamageScaling="1" throwingRangeModifier="5.0" />

throwingRangeModifier adds X.X number of tiles to the throwing range of a grenade. When I made a concussion grenade launcher as a secondary vehicle weapon for my Grease Pit mod, I did this:

<Weapon name="VV.CONCUSSION" bulletType="gasgrenade" emptySound="Empty Click 1">

<props range="10" hands="1" recoil="0" weight="1" isHeavy="0" clipSize="6" reloadAPCost="0" hpLimit="80" disableDamageScaling="1" throwingRangeModifier="10.0" />

<SingleShot delay="0.85" sound="Weapon Grenade Throw" suppressionValue="100" suppressionRadius="5">

<Set1 ap="20" accuracy="60" />

</SingleShot>

<BurstFire/>

<GUIImage name="gui/weapons/GrenadeSmoke.png"/>

<GroundImage name="grounditemimages/grenade2.png"/>

<Ammos>

<Ammo name="default" type="chemical" damage="1" stunDamage="50" mitigation="10">

<Projectile spectre="projectiles/grenade" speed="600" />

<Impact spectre="particles/smallgrenade/small_grenade" radius="4" sound="Weapon Gas Grenade" fireChance="0" smokeChance="0" gasType="GrenadeFragSmoke"/>

</Ammo>

</Ammos>

</Weapon>

A vehicle doesn't have a strength value, so the only thing that gave the grenade launcher any range was throwingRangeModifier. That's what you want to add/alter.

Yupyup. From a code perspective, it's NOT a grenade launcher. It's a customised grenade with a clip and a large positive throwing modifier (throwingRangeModifier can be positive or negative). Because vehicles don't have a strength value it will maintain a constant range (because it can only draw from the throwingRangeModifier) so it behaves like a grenade launcher. Like so many tricks in programming it's not about the actual, it's all about the virtual.

Aye, just tried it out. Works nicely, but with a couple of limitations. The weapon animation disappears during the action - not really a biggie, specially if one is looking at the back of a soldier - and it doesn't support multiple single fire modes. For example, my M79 has a snap and normal fire mode, but it's not possible to cycle through them - i.e. like a nade, there is only one way to use it, so I can only use snap fire with it. Haven't tried burst yet.

Another problem...it's not just the animation that vanishes, it's the weapon too. Albeit on the next turn, but that's no consolation. And burst fire doesn't work....it just lobs one nade.

However, the vanishing only happened to the single shot weapon (m79). The ags (burst firing, but only one nade) didn't disappear. Maybe the way forward is to use burst fire as the only fire option, but treat it like single shot...it only uses one round, and isn't as pricey as a normal burst, if you know what I mean ('arry).

It also breaks the quick-throw slot, as the game'll be thinking there's a nade being thrown, but there's not. This soldier isn't carrying any nades, but check out the "1" in the slot. And also the lack of ammo in the weapon frame, where this weapon should have 30:

TpsONAn.jpg

Edited by Mikhail Ragulin

• 1 month later...

I'm looking at both CatMorbid's mod and Mikhail's Magnum-nauts, wanting to get an M79 that works nicely. Mikhail, looks like you never got yours working, because I don't see it in your release.

Did either of you get one working, and by working, I mean with an arcing shot (with or without indirect ability, although with would be ideal)? It seems to work fine as a rocket.

I'm kind of picking and choosing items out of various mods, rather than making wholesale changes.

I had them in previous releases, but dropped them to make room for the flamethrowers.

They work as rockets, but obviously only direct fire. I've tried various methods to work around this, but it's just not (quite) possible. I had another go the other day, changing the nade throw animation to a gun firing - but with the game still thinking it's a nade, the gun disappears (like it's been thrown). So, basically, one-shot disposable launchers (with an arc) are feasible by mucking around with the animations (and a lot of headscratching).

Now that I'm in front of my own computer, there's a key variable that people have (unsurprisingly) missed, because you don't see it on many (if any!) grenades, and it was only mentioned in passing by Aaron several complete builds ago. Here's a line from the flare with the key variable highlighted.

I use this value and not that only one, in config.xml there is the base of throwing range for all grenades. :P

I'm looking at both CatMorbid's mod and Mikhail's Magnum-nauts, wanting to get an M79 that works nicely. Mikhail, looks like you never got yours working, because I don't see it in your release.

Did either of you get one working, and by working, I mean with an arcing shot (with or without indirect ability, although with would be ideal)? It seems to work fine as a rocket.

I'm kind of picking and choosing items out of various mods, rather than making wholesale changes.

Is not possible put a hand weapon with "gasgrenade" type projectile? really?

I think that is possible o.O

Edited by TacticalDragon