-

MeVII

You should just be able to modify the existing game files and run the game. I've never had any trouble getting mods to work (except where I broke something!)

Quick question: did you download the demo, and are you accidentally modding the demo files instead. It's a long-shot, but I know someone else did that a few weeks ago so I thought I'd check.

We're looking at sorting out Steam Workshop, so maybe hold off the clumsy mod packaging stuff for now.

Steam workshop is a bad place for any modding community, as you cannot update files.

Only re upload. You end up with a cluttered mess...

Imho, your time is better spent doing anything else.

Steam workshop is a bad place for any modding community, as you cannot update files.

Only re upload. You end up with a cluttered mess...

Imho, your time is better spent doing anything else.

Can you not remove things you've uploaded to replace them?

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW, I've also been looking for an answer to this question for several days. There are a couple of mods I've wanted to try, but I'd much prefer to leave game files intact and use a mods folder to actually mucking about in the game files. I'm partial to the Civ IV model that reads the XML from the game files, then reads the XML from the loaded mods and just overwrites any conflicts with the mod's data.

As much as I like Steam, I'm also not a fan of Steam's Workshop. I'd honestly rather just not use mods than use the workshop, and I'd rather not use mods than mess with the game's main files.

i to would like to know which mod folder (c:..<username/docuemnts or xenonauts/assets/mods) you put mods in.

Also what the mod structure is for these external mods.

*edit* using steam version of Xenonauts.

*edit 2* ok i put a copy of a basic mod i made into the mods dir of xenonauts and mydocuments/zenonauts/modding and neither of them apply any changes.

Is there a way of installing mods withotu overwriting teh base files?

Edited by aZmoDen