[v1.03 Ground Combat] Props not there, but still showing up

In my most current game, I was using windowsills for cover and having my guys get consistently shot behind them. After getting frustrated and reloading I have figured out why. There is no wall there, and it provides no cover.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Load savegame

2. Select Roger Phillips

3. Move him through the broken window directly in front of him

OR

4. Back him off one square and manually target the square outside the window. The windowsill provides no cover.

[ATTACH]4076[/ATTACH]

Broken prop.sav

Broken prop.sav

Found the issue. It's a problem with the spectre: the damaged version of it has been set as south-east facing rather than south west. You can see this on the save game: to move the soldier mentioned 1 tile to the south east he has to path around an invisible wall.

Another big problem, putting it in the same thread because it is a similar issue. Apparently intact windowframes do not provide any cover, but broken ones do.

cover.jpg

cover2.jpg

Confirmed for all the windows I tested in the industrial tileset. This one definitely needs fixed.

cover.jpg

cover2.jpg

cover.thumb.jpg.811b4f15a51875540eae4cee

cover2.thumb.jpg.a06e38d2391d65cc509bf49

Edited by legit1337

Your definition of game-breaking is pretty loose, legit. Windows have always worked that way - the first shot passes through them. The game isn't capable of working out whether the shot has hit the glass or the frame itself for an undamaged window tile.

Nor is a mis-set property of a single state of one tile in one tileset particularly serious, although I will fix it.

Sorry, but this is pretty serious for me. Newbies are going to be using these props for cover thinking it protects their troops.

I certainly did and I have been playing this game for over a year.

How does a window frame, or wall with a window NOT provide cover when intact, and yet provides 50% cover when broken? That is completely illogical and counter-intuitive.

I have been losing troops like crazy, thinking "wow, those caesans are good shots", when all this time all the stuff I have been using as cover has not really been cover at all. Correction, it is only cover "sometimes".

If you can't fix it, you can't fix it. But please put something in the quickguide or loading screen that explains this mechanic.

Edited by legit1337

I agree the window thing is rather obtuse and I think you guys( the developer) would have been better off just not putting glass in the game. I know that sounds weird to think about, but you didn't need the fancy looking glass that breaks the game in some form or another.(and it does)

I still love the game, but I think that was a the wrong call... at least it makes for a lot of jokes on stream.(Let's repair that window so we can hit the alien easier.)