Hot Drop

Well it's easier now that aliens start with less TUs.

If any alien is visible immediately upon landing, blast it with the heavy machine gun to at least make sure it's suppressed. Other than that, be careful on the first turn moving out, get into the nearest cover and don't spread my guys too wide. If in doubt, use smoke.

YEah I have a tendency to establish a base of fire with Heavy weapons, which tends not to work well when the enemy has heavier weapons than I do. But I end up in these really frustrating Catch-22s where if I stay on the dropship they'll smash me with a heavy weapon and if I disperse I get picked off by incidental fire. I had a really bad one where my Scimitar got killed and clogged up the back of the Shrike and four androns were covering the other exit from inside a building. Total Squad wipe in four minutes.

Every time I've tried to use smoke it has failed me. I don;t know if I try to use it to redeem a lost cause or if its not that effective though. Does it usually work for you?

If aliens can see inside the dropship, then you can see them. In which case firing with the HMG should suppress the alien, which makes you much more safe for killing it immediately or at least the next turn. If aliens can't see inside the dropship, then it's a matter of taking up safe positions as usual.

Also, yeah, if I am really worried I take a vehicle with me that scouts. Once I get the Shrike, I usually use it to carry a tank.

If aliens can see inside the dropship, then you can see them. In which case firing with the HMG should suppress the alien, which makes you much more safe for killing it immediately or at least the next turn. If aliens can't see inside the dropship, then it's a matter of taking up safe positions as usual.

Also, yeah, if I am really worried I take a vehicle with me that scouts. Once I get the Shrike, I usually use it to carry a tank.

Only problem is Androns can't be suppressed. Which is only partially why everyone died. But that's a good point, can a suppressed alien still fire the plasma cannon on its turn? Or is it just sad and afraid like a Heavy Weapons soldier is when they get suppressed.

Only problem is Androns can't be suppressed. Which is only partially why everyone died. But that's a good point, can a suppressed alien still fire the plasma cannon on its turn? Or is it just sad and afraid like a Heavy Weapons soldier is when they get suppressed.

Androns are probably your worst enemy when they catch you like that, yea.. but, smoke works on them, so you could always cover yourself in smoke and go from there.(or if you think it will work, shoot and then cover yourself in smoke)

This is why I'm always very careful about my troop placement in the dropship - machine gun, shield and assault in the front row so that I can either blast the crap out of the alien with MG, draw its fire with the shield or charge it with the assault.