High ground advantage - does it exist?

So far, out of the 4-5 times I have tried to utilize 2nd floor of buildings, my soldiers get instantly killed. An alien has actually never missed, no matter the distance when I am on high ground. Now, it could of course be luck, but it feels to me like high ground confers no additional cover?

Additionally, its kind of irritating to have an alien move into the tile in front of a 2nd floor window (outside, on ground) and then shoot UP into the window at an impossible angle, and instant kill your soldier...

High ground feels kind of useless to me.

It feels that way.

Though a higher target is harder to hit unless using parabolic projectiles (like arrows) - Due to the lip of the roof they are on covering the lower body in a lot of cases.

Alas, I shall probably not bother with the 2nd floor for now.

Edited by DeviousAlpha

Its probably worth it for your snipers as it means they can shoot a long way over intervening terrain, instead of having to get up close and personal to get a clear shot. They can be out of harms way (and thus not need armour) and still shoot in support of your guys. Machine guns too, to an extent.

That is only from my very limited experience over the last few days though...

It feels that way.

Though a higher target is harder to hit unless using parabolic projectiles (like arrows) - Due to the lip of the roof they are on covering the lower body in a lot of cases.

Alas, I shall probably not bother with the 2nd floor for now.

The aliens can make use of the upper floors. The Harridan sniper is very deadly. You're right about the "lip" of the roof, unfortunately, that really only helps if you are able to lay down at the edge reducing your profile greatly, but alas, our poor Xenonauts are only able to crouch. Maybe they need some yoga classes.

Historically speaking, putting troops in the upper floors of buildings isn't good practice unless they are camouflaged and only observers or snipers i.e. they're hiding, otherwise they draw way too much fire.

This happens to me all the time, aliens hide on second floors and fire from an impossible angle to my xenonauts, they never effing miss... I have to assault the damn building with 3+ xenonauts for a caesan guard.

And of course, once the damn fairy like aliens appear wooow that's a "let's get sniped from the other side of the map" party. But if I ever dare to use the damn buzzard armor to position my snipers on rooftops, boy the get shot from every corner, it's like they carry a giant sign with them as they move.

Lesson? forget about sniping or shooting from high ground...

I go into it assuming that no, being on the rooftop gives you none of the protection that it logically should, and purely use my buzzard troops as scouts for the ground forces. Its significantly more effective that way, and makes the game much less dangerous if you manage to keep all or most of the aliens in view where they can't shoot back. And occasionally, when you get a rooftop that provides some cover lets you rain down death on people.

Additionally, its kind of irritating to have an alien move into the tile in front of a 2nd floor window (outside, on ground) and then shoot UP into the window at an impossible angle, and instant kill your soldier...

I think that this is a symptom of the issue I'm describing here: http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/10511-Xenonauts-V1-04-Released!?p=116225#post116225

Basically, the 'can-shoot' calculation works differently for aliens than for soldiers, resulting in times when an alien can shoot and target a soldier who cannot shoot back.