Release Gameplay Discussion

Sup Guys

So much has changed over the many builds I've played that none of my old tactics work anymore, I'm not really sure exactly how everything works either. So I was wondering if any of you wanted to discuss what stuff works for you, squad loadouts, breaching tactics, base design etc.

For example I usually run two MGs, a sniper, a shield, and an assault, rounded out with three riflemen. UFO breaching I walk the assault up along with the shield, spam flashbangs like its going out of style, and apply heavy machineguns. How about you guys?

Due to my impatience I work on a 2 teams of 4 approach to my loadouts. Each team of 4 consists of: Shotgun Assault, Shield Pistol, Rifleman, Machinegun/Sniper.

Typically the sniper trails and provides support to both team where possible. Riflemen, Shields, and Assaults all carry 1 flashbang, 1 smoke, 1 grenade. Situationally all are useful, smokes let you cover ground without much fear of reaction fire, flashbangs let the two assaults breach rooms/UFOs without reaction fire and thus take out aliens execution style. Grenades are great for throwing over walls when you don't have LOS for gunfire.

Mostly the strategy is to draw fire with the shield/rifleman while the assault flanks. If an assault can get up close it is a good old fashioned execution. BANG. Goodnight sweetheart. Seriously, if you can get an assault within three tiles they will often outright kill an alien even if all other shots have missed.

Breaching UFO's is sometimes tricky, it depends on the numbers inside. Typically I pre-equip a shield with a flashbang, open door, flashbang, rush in with the assaults to the tiles next to the aliens and unload 2 sets of 3 bullets in to aliens faces. If there are more aliens then I will open the door, draw reaction fire with a sniper shot from far away, unload with rifles, and close the door again. I repeat this until I am confident I can take out whatever is left inside in 1 round of all rush in.

Something you didn't mention is what stats you value on your soldiers.

Heavy MGs -> STR / TU. They don't really need accuracy with 10 shots, mostly they're good suppression and with 10 shots they'll pick up kills. Having high STR and TU allows them to get into position for shots much more easily.

Snipers -> ACC / TU. Again snipers need TU to re-position quickly, accuracy is a no brainer. My sniper often picks people off that he couldn't technically see without closer allies seeing them for him.

Assault -> TU/HP. These guys are often up front and frankly the TU is needed to get there with shots left in the tank. The HP is for when the shit hits the fan and they end up taking a shot or two. Something to note, I usually put some kind of armor on these guys so STR isn't a bad tertiary stat.

Riflemen -> All rounders, ACC / TU / BRA. Almost all stats are good on these guys, I tend to favor accuracy over anything else but honestly I don't find them very useful before lasers are researched, even after that they are still eclipsed by the assaults and sniper. These guy don't get armor, often I give them a med kit instead. Bravery is something that is surprisingly useful here, nothing is worse than having someone die because the medic panicked and ran instead of treating their wounds.

Edited by DeviousAlpha