Where are the alloys?

It's been a while since I last played, and since we're at v1 I thought I'd give it a go again.

I started on easy just for the fun of it, but one thing I'm noticing is that I have totally run out alien alloys. My entire game has ground to a halt because of that. I have managed to collect just enough alloys to create laser weapons for all my guys, but armour is out of the question, let alone anything else.

I'm just waiting for the next UFO to show up so that I can get alloys from it. I was hoping Alloy Fabrication would allow me to create alloys, but nope.. I can't even spend money to make them, so I'm just stuck :(

The aliens are getting stronger all the time and without alloys I'm starting to lose ground on them, even on easy!! Have I missed a trick somewhere? Is alloy fabrication hidden somewhere? Either way I guess I'm going to lose the game soon because cannot manufacture anything I've researched.

Also.. why countries keep cutting my funding every month, despite me shooting down almost everything? I'd have thought on easy I'd have to fail spectacularly for that to happen. :confused:

You have to do quite a few recovery missions each month to keep up a supply of alloys and alenium. The gold mine for both is a successful recovery on UFOs that are landed not shot down. They'll show up as green and stopped on the ground somewhere. Those missions are tougher because none of the alien crew will be dead, so you'll have to fight a full crew complement. For a win on those missions I believe you will receive 3x as much material and money.

You can't make alloys. There was a big debate quite a while ago what to name "Alien Alloy Fabrication" and nothing was particularly suitible, so it stayed "Alien Alloy Fabrication". You get alloys from doing ground missions and from shooting down interceptors. To be honest, I'm surprised that you've run out of alloys, because even if you do one UFO per wave you should be able to build up quite a sizable stock of alloys by the time you need to make anything.

There are a variety of reasons why countries might be cutting your funding, but I don't have enough information on your particular situation to comment.

You should not be running out of alloys generally unless you're doing poorly. The biggest alloy investment early on is laser weapons for your squad, but you should have enough to outfit most soldiers at once, and then, unless you suffer a squad wipe, you retain the weapons indefinitely.

Prioritize landed UFOs, and do shoot down air superiority fighters - they provide some alloys, and they do the most damage to your funding.

I'm having trouble with this too. I don't remember having this much difficulty in previous builds, I'm only getting 1 or 2 alien allows from Light scouts and Scouts. Generally I've built up 20-30 Alien Alloys by the time I have Laser Weapons unlocked, which is not nearly enough to outfit the entire squad.

You should not be running out of alloys generally unless you're doing poorly. The biggest alloy investment early on is laser weapons for your squad, but you should have enough to outfit most soldiers at once, and then, unless you suffer a squad wipe, you retain the weapons indefinitely.

Prioritize landed UFOs, and do shoot down air superiority fighters - they provide some alloys, and they do the most damage to your funding.

That's not true. You lose Laser weapons when your soldiers die. At-least that happens to me anyway! (It might be a bug).

I can also attest that even without losing a single air battle I simply don't have enough alloys to make any armour by mid November.

I'm having trouble with this too. I don't remember having this much difficulty in previous builds, I'm only getting 1 or 2 alien allows from Light scouts and Scouts. Generally I've built up 20-30 Alien Alloys by the time I have Laser Weapons unlocked, which is not nearly enough to outfit the entire squad.

Scouts should be giving more than that. You should get ~6 alloys for a crashed scout, assuming the power core doesn't explode in the crash.

Are you using a lot of explosives/causing a lot of collateral damage when assaulting them? Alloys and alenium are tied to certain props and if you damage or destroy them you won't recover them.

Scouts should be giving more than that. You should get ~6 alloys for a crashed scout, assuming the power core doesn't explode in the crash.

Are you using a lot of explosives/causing a lot of collateral damage when assaulting them? Alloys and alenium are tied to certain props and if you damage or destroy them you won't recover them.

Hmmm. Might be it. I've been relying on flashbangs for suppression. I would've thought that wouldn't damage anything though.

Fairly certain flashbangs wouldn't do enough by themselves. Was thinking proper explosives/machine-gun misses. Was just a thought in any case; you should certainly be getting more than 2 alloys from Scouts unless their resource drops were debuffed since I started modding UFOs.

Fairly certain flashbangs wouldn't do enough by themselves. Was thinking proper explosives/machine-gun misses. Was just a thought in any case; you should certainly be getting more than 2 alloys from Scouts unless their resource drops were debuffed since I started modding UFOs.

Yeah, latest playthrough I used the UFOs as shooting galleries for my Machinegunners trying to get their strength stat over 70, but its a problem I had in games I wasn't doing that too. I always thought we scraped Alien Alloys off the hull or something. Guess I just have to be more careful.