Any chance of not having to use Desura?

e1ain3s

My point was: I do not want to install _yet_another_ DRM system on my PC, no matter how low-intrusive it is billed to be. That is all.

That's your prerogative. I merely noted your curious use of the term "DRM system" with regard to Desura, which, in itself, is nothing of the sort.

Will all mods need to be released through Steam or will the mod makers still be able to release them directly to the public?

Don't quote me on this, because I haven't a single modded title in my library, but as long as you don't alter any files monitored by their client software, Steam does not interfere with modifications nor with how they're installed, methinks.

Yeah, it's more of a distribution system. But I understand it's a pain to have to install it to get the game.

Distribution system does not need to install client on my PC. Its DRM software and advertisment channel. Just as Steam is. For distribution a web api is just enough.

Desura is nice and easy for a small indie developer to use.

It leaves the dev team free to concentrate on making the game.

If anyone who really can't face installing Desura can knock up a simple and secure delivery method for Xenonauts that shares its advantages and has no significant disadvantages I am sure they would be interested to hear about it.

well, for all the advantages Desura can possibly have (for the developers at least), it is currently preventing me from playing Xenonauts because that f***ed up piece of software refuses to install the game correctly. I "use" Desura for all of about one hour and already I really really hate it

I really hope that when the game is released there is stand-alone installer that gives me chance to play the game without using Steam/Desura/whatever

IG0xP.jpg

instalation ends with this message. seems to be Desura client problem ... game file download seems to finish OK, then another window opens labeled "Downloading dependencies" (about 98MB download), download finishes and then the error message appears. and since Desura seems to lack any instalation logs or debugging tools there isn't much I can do to locate what causes the problem

If you've bought the game and logged into the Desura site, you can simply go to this link and download the game without the client:

http://www.desura.com/games/xenonauts/download

That's brilliant, thanks Chris. I assume future builds will appear at the same link as well (i.e rather than updating via Desura, just download the new version from there)?

:)

EDIT: Actually never mind, just read the sticky!

Edited by century_rain

gozer, I did get the same error for some time. Running Desura as an administrator and letting it update itself solved the problem.

what did the trick for me was editing the toolinfo.sqlite file and set the updates as installed so Desura doesn't try to install them. I have these installed already (it is mostly stuff like directx, .net framework etc), but in case there is something I don't have the file even contains links for download of the updates from desura website, so I can download and install these manualy

in case anyone runs into similar problem, just edit the file using SQLite database browser or similar application and set the values to 3 (Desura client later changes the value to 1, but if you set it to 1 right away the client just crashes)