Why female soldiers

Yes - the result; But where is the poll? I have never seen it and have never had a chance to vote..

It was in one of the kickstarter updates.

The polling site Chris used caps out at 1100 votes though (not his decision) so it closed when it hit that.

*edit* Didn't see Kaguras post until after I clicked submit, but you get the picture.

I thought I mentioned tin foil waaay back in the kickstarter rewards thread. I just thought Chris was holding them back as a special treat. Are you saying we won't be getting them?

If you buy foil in bulk, it's only a matter of getting everyone you know to start making them up and shipping them about along with the other goodies. So, they are dirt cheap, easy to make, no two will ever be identical, they are hand made and personal, they prevent being mind controlled by Venusians at the very least, not to mention orbiting space fleets.

What more could you possibly want from a kickstarter reward?

For a little more you could get one that shuts out Martian mind control. I believe these require turkey foil which is a little thicker and therefore more expensive.

Yeah, I've never quite understood that one either. Obviously outer space rays work differently.

I recall seeing an article about people who live in the middle of nowhere because of effects to their health they believe are caused by a variety of transmissions. I'm likewise reminded of all the health and safety patents taken out by mobile phone companies at the same time they said there was absolutely nothing to worry about.

'Trust is a tough thing to come by these days.' - MacReady, Outpost 31

Yeah it would add an extra touch to the game but considering the funds and the time they had to spend... it sounds quite improbable.

The only possible way would be that Chris allowed it to be modded, then they could get some spare time and focus their attention on AI or tilesets. But well, I am of no help, know nothing about handling sprites or animations. :/

I think the idea in the original x-com was to re-enforce the idea that this truly was a new type of organization, futuristic, with equality and all that. Your right that set in the 1970's this makes far less sense, and yes I agree it's a ton of work for the developers. Short answer is that Firaxis is putting in all sorts of different races and females, so these guys will just have to bite the bullet and work weekends and get those girls and ethnic groups coded...

Yeah it would add an extra touch to the game but considering the funds and the time they had to spend... it sounds quite improbable.

The only possible way would be that Chris allowed it to be modded, then they could get some spare time and focus their attention on AI or tilesets. But well, I am of no help, know nothing about handling sprites or animations. :/

My female mod (version 1) will come with Basic Armour, Jackal Armour, Female faces and animation for both.

I just have to figure out how to implement the new animations - without CTD's (as it does now) :mad:

Version 2 will have at least Female Wolf armour and maybee a Buzzard "look-a-like armour".

I'll toss my vote in with the "if it doesn't bankrupt Goldhawk" lot. As has been said, there weren't alot of fighting women in regular armies back in the days. There never existed a dedicated Anti-Extraterrestrial Organization either, though, but there seems to be a pretty good template for how they recruit folks (prior military experience, preferably in an elite unit, combat experience is a plus).

I did 11 months of military service, and my platoon had about 25% women. Once you put on a helmet and a vest, the only real way to tell the boys from the girls at a distance would be judging from their height (the ladies usually being a tad shorter than the gentlemen). My point is that female names and portraits work pretty well, in my book (and maybe a separate basic armor sprite if I'm nitpicking).

It's all moot, though, since they're already going in the game. I just felt like writing stuff.

I would like females to be added at some point, even if it starts off as just portraits.

I'm not just pointing at this game, I don't think it was intentional or much to do with any sexism in this instance. But games are quite guilt of feeling like a male club sometimes. Particularly when it comes to certain genres in certain settings. We are starting to step away from it but I think developers could make a bit more of a conscious effort to push things along a little faster.

As long as you aren't going to leave yourselves in financial ruin because of it.

The only time I get irritated by the male/female divide in games is with games that have all the male characters in full plate mail and the female characters wearing metal bikinis.

I rarely play female characters in MMOs particularly because of that.

What's wrong with designing female characters that look competent and capable instead of over endowed and who will probably catch pneumonia in the first chilly wind :P

Will that set a trend for Red Sonja?

Yes, all male characters will be wearing bikinis. Not mankinis, because that would be silly, but bikinis.

If females are added they also need their own dying sounds. It was great in the original X-Com to hear males going Aaaarggh!!! and females EEeeeek!

Good spot. I'm honestly trying not to picture you as the person who sits up nights listening to dying X-com soldiers over and over. I really am.

Is that like making a movie about capturing the enigma machine but forgetting that the people involved weren't all American?

I assume you are refering to the recent Hollywood version of U571. As an American, I apologize for Hollywood. My guess is they thought more Americans would watch it, if it was about Americans. Considering how popular James Bond movies are, I don't know why they would think that, but they rewrite history for strange reasons all the time. The sad part is many Americans get their history from movies, so as far as they know, the movie is accurate. At least I know what really happened if that makes you feel any better.