Three Builds to Beta!

My personal guess is that they won't make it to the 18th but probably a few days after the second suggested date for V14 (26th of August).

That's my prediction, as well. They were a couple days past due when they rolled out v13, as I recall.

Of course, given how long some of us have been waiting for Torchlight 2, that kind of delay is barely worth mentioning.

That's my prediction, as well. They were a couple days past due when they rolled out v13, as I recall.

Of course, given how long some of us have been waiting for Torchlight 2, that kind of delay is barely worth mentioning.

And considering how long we've been waiting for a decent XCOM successor I can certainly accept a few more delays. :-)

i hope someday anyone will make the old xcom in HD textures and win7-8 support:)

Also check out The Two Sides. Though it was pulled for copyright reasons, it was almost complete from the playing as the humans point of view and you should be able to find it in google.

I predict with some certainty that while the final release may be delivered differently, there isn't any need (on Goldhawk's part) for the beta to be updated and delivered in any other way than the alpha has so far. Perhaps the regularity of updates may change to reflect the goals of the beta (say, once a week instead of every few), but it will essentially be the same cycle of delivery-feedback-work-delivery that it's been so far.

EDIT: And it isn't happening YET. So chill, or you'll hurt something.

Edited by Max_Caine
changed setnence so it made sense.

well well it is finally happening.....i guess for next game you will use kickstarter right away!!!!!!!

That... sounds like a bad marketing plan. The kickstarter campaign had a lot of strong points. Some of them only because they were so far in the development that they had something to show for it. Some because there was a commonly shared longing for this type of game. (that are now somewhat satisfied and not something you can count on again. We don't even know if Goldhawk will want to produce another game in this genre.. they might decide to go for a different genre)

Going directly for kickstarter the next time around without investing enough in the game that it will be released whether or not the campaign is successful is most likely going to backfire. It won't seem as serious and may be seen as a quick cash out or something. I really hope goldhawk does not do that.

once the game is out are we going to get an email with instructions/keys to download it ? i haven't downloaded a single beta ever

Yes. You will be able to choose between desura and steam keys at least. Goldhawk will have to contact you in some form.

Edited by Gorlom

I agree with Gorlom...excuse me, I must wash my mouth out... :) ... Having a playable alpha, having really atmospheric art... making it X-Com related which is the only reason I got here...having a solid forum with a groundswell of support (a huge plus)... catching Kickstarter during an upswing of interest in it... all big pluses.

Being able to say that the game would be complete even without Kickstarter was a big plus too.

To disagree with Gorlkins (the weird Gorlom/Thotkins hybrid) I think a kickstarter could actually work out.

My reasoning is that

1, Goldhawk would already have a released game to their name so a bit more respectability than other projects.

2, Goldhawk also have a successful kickstarter behind them to further increase confidence from the funders.

3, Having completed the previous kickstarter project and made good on what was promised as well as going the extra mile could well persuade people to give that little bit extra cash because they know they will get what they are paying for.

I have to say though that I don't think the kickstarter route will be anywhere near as popular now that it has passed its FOTM peak.

Gauddlike do you think the second kickstarter will be more successful if it launches at the development stage of double fines adventure game's kickstarter or at the development stage of Xenonauts kickstarter?

The issue wasn't IF using a kickstarter campaign but rather WHEN. (At least that is how I understood it and what I meant when I responded to it)

I don't know anything about a double fine kickstarter.

I am assuming from context that it was an earlier stage than Xenonauts.

I don't think it matters either way.

Early stage ks would be good for people to feel they were getting on board early and supporting the guys who made their favourite x-com remake.

For the reasons I stated above the funders could have a good amount of confidence in Goldhawk being able to deliver a finished game and to deliver on the promises made.

I personally prefer to see a late stage KS though as I don't like to pay for something that doesn't exist and might never exist.

If a game is far enough along that I can see what their vision is and how they have managed to realise it so far I am more likely to get excited and spend money on it.

I think it is unlikely I will bother using KS much though, the novelty wore off pretty quickly for me.

I don't have the sort of free cash to splash around on games that have not been made yet and can't afford to go above the bottom tiers anyway.