Weapon Editor - The Quartermaster's Armory

Quartermaster

Hmmm have not yet been able to get this to work. Tried just a straight install, tried extracting to then installing from the xenonauts folder, tried extracting to and installing from the assets folder, it always complains that it can't find part of the path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Desura\Common\xenonauts\assets\strings.xml'.

I'm on Win7 but not 64-bit. My Xenonauts path is C:\Program Files\Desura\Common\xenonauts'.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance!

Stick the program in the same folder as Xenonauts. It is set up to recognize the location if in the same folder otherwise it defaults to where it is located on my computer.

Uninstalled, extracted to 'C:\Program Files\Desura\Common\xenonauts' and tried to run XenoArmory. It goes through the Setup (Launching Application...), launches the program, but when I click on Forms... Weapons, I get the error about the path.

Removed again from Control Panel, extracted to the assets folder. Ran XenoArmory- same thing, goes through the Setup, launches program. Again when clicking on Forms... Weapons I get an unhandled exception referencing the path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Desura\Common\xenonauts\'

Still unsure what I am doing wrong.

Uninstalled, extracted to 'C:\Program Files\Desura\Common\xenonauts' and tried to run XenoArmory. It goes through the Setup (Launching Application...), launches the program, but when I click on Forms... Weapons, I get the error about the path.

Removed again from Control Panel, extracted to the assets folder. Ran XenoArmory- same thing, goes through the Setup, launches program. Again when clicking on Forms... Weapons I get an unhandled exception referencing the path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Desura\Common\xenonauts\'

Still unsure what I am doing wrong.

Got the same problem. My path is 'C:\Games\Desura\Common\xenonauts\'

Nice work, Quartermaster. It's looking good. Just a few more things to think about:

- We've added a reaction fire modifier to the weapons, which is a multiplier to the soldier's reflexes stat (a modifier of 1 has no effect)

- For explosive weapons, we've also added a Smoke / Gas type which affects what type of smoke / gas spawns when the weapon explodes

- For explosive weapons, we've also added a "Fire" field, which controls whether the explosion spawns fire or not.

We're also likely to be adding EMP damage and smoke spawn % in the near future, so I'd leave room to add all of those if you want a fully complete tool.

To be honest, it's more than likely I'll use this myself for balancing purposes when it's fully updated. Irongamer's Xenofloor tool was really useful for me, so I've got a lot to thank the community for. Possibly I should set up a sub-forum here for tools available for download...

Also, reload sounds. We've added them too.

There's also tags for "integrated" and "melee" weapons (isMelee and isIntegrated) which it might be worth putting in tickboxes for, unless you can fold Melee into the weapon types somehow (putting it in weapon category could be more elegant I suppose).

Integrated weapons are alien weapons that don't drop when the unit is killed, such as a Chryssalid's claws or the integrated weapons in a tank etc.

- We've added a reaction fire modifier to the weapons, which is a multiplier to the soldier's reflexes stat (a modifier of 1 has no effect)

Hey, I like the sound of that. So a pistol will be a lot more likely to perform reaction fire than a sniper rifle, for example? I think adding factors like this, along with the suppression functionality will give you a load of scope for balancing weapons above and beyond the obvious factors such as weight and damage.

Double thumbs up then!

Just on the topic of weapons; I've been modding the files a little, testing out various balance ideas and I just wondered two things, if you're able to shed any light on them please, Chris?

First up; is there any way to modify the damage a certain shot type does? I was thinking of adding a damage bonus to the most accurate/AP expensive shot option for the assault rifle, for example, to represent the trooper taking his time to aim for the head or something along those lines.

Secondly; Is there a way to give some sort of penalty based on a shot being taken at close range with the precision rifle? I've been tweaking the sniper as it seems too similar in use to the assault rifle at the moment. I really want it to be a weapon that you'd only be able to use effectively once you'd made it to a good position, for long range shots. If a sniper equipped trooper turns a corner and discovers an alien, I'd want his precision rifle to be at a real drawback at such close range.

Update: New Uploads that fix most of the issues mentioned are up. If it cannot find the file it will ask you to type in its location and it defaults to what seemed common for most folks "C:\Program Files\Desura\Common\xenonauts\". You will only need to select the location once. I added in the weapon reload sound, isIntegrated, and reactionModifier variables to the form. Please let me know if you are still having errors.

Here are links so you don't have to backtrack:

Install:XenoArmory Install

Code: XenoArmory Code

Is the sniper set as a heavy weapon?

Heavy weapons suffer a penalty to accuracy when they have moved that turn.

If it is implemented at the moment that is.

That could help with the penalty you are looking for.

As far as I am aware there are no weapons that currently use the "Heavy" delineation so I am not sure if it works or not. Has someone used it yet?

Chris, are there any examples in the data file of the Fire and Gas/Smoke tags in action? I could not find a data element that used them so I didn't want to try fiddling with it until i had a good idea of what was going on. Thank You!

Edited by Quartermaster

@ QM - The next update, due out tomorrow most likely, will contain updated grenades and rockets and a variety of new gasses. Light smoke, heavy smoke, stun gas, nerve gas etc. Also the fire settings will have been set up for the rockets and grenades too, so just take a peek at those when they come out.

@ all - I'm currently unsure as to whether "heavy" weapons are functional in code terms. It is intended that both the rocket launcher and the machinegun would be heavy weapons (and possibly the precision rifle too as mentioned above), and this would give an accuracy penalty if the user moves and shoots in the same turn. Maybe someone should have a play and see if it works.

Your program should support it, though, QM. If it's confirmed not working, we'll be implementing them pretty soon.

I was going to try it out but I can't remember where the 'heavy' flag should go.

I also can't get QM's program to run.

If I install it in my xenonauts folder it comes up with a window asking for my path but won't accept it (C:\Program Files (x86)\Desura\Common\xenonauts).

I was going to try it out but I can't remember where the 'heavy' flag should go.

I also can't get QM's program to run.

If I install it in my xenonauts folder it comes up with a window asking for my path but won't accept it (C:\Program Files (x86)\Desura\Common\xenonauts).

Add a slash to the end of the path. It was a quick fix so it isn't too intelligent at this point. Try "C:\Program Files (x86)\Desura\Common\xenonauts\" (the same thing with the backslash at the end)

Just checked, the heavy flag doesn't seem to make any difference.

Accuracy on a target at any range doesn't alter after movement with it set.

If it needs to be set with the bullettype flag doesn't that mean you will be unable to have rocket launchers that are classed as heavy?

Would it be better to have it as a separate optional flag, perhaps in the same section where you set the recoil?

Loads fine for me now but I get 'Unhandled Exception' if I try to Save->Save As or Update->Replace Data Files:

Are any XML files created? The issue could either be that it can't make the files or that Excel is running at all (I use it to open and resave the file that the code creates so that it is better formatted for Xenonauts).

Also what happens if you click continue?

I get this when trying to load current values;

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11258902/xenonautsreports/qmarmoury.PNG

I'm looking at the screen that you provided and it looks like the boxes that hold the numbers have commas in them instead of decimals. Is that relevant for where you live? Could you check the following for me: If you change the reaction modifier value for the pistol in the data file to "1,8" instead of "1.8" does the number error pop up or change from 1.8 to another number?

Update:

You can still do the above, but it looks like there are regional differences in how periods and commas are used in numbers. I will try to figure out a good way to handle this and when I update the program (after the new version comes out) I will try to fix this so that it functions more universally.

Edited by Quartermaster
Did some research...

No files were created as far as I can tell. Clicking on Continue just takes me back to the program. If I change any values for a weapon, when I click on another weapon I find that the values have been reset. I don't have Excel open as it is not installed on my machine. I do have OpenOffice installed but I tried shutting down all instances of soffice.exe and still get the 'Unhandled exception' error.

Yes, there are differences. Not that I can ever remember them. I think we use commas in Norway for decimals, and punctuation for large number separation. Which the commas in your program substantiates. :)

Yes.. a friend just went to Australia to study, and she was pretty decent at maths. Then she totally bombed on the first test, and apparently it was because she used commas instead of periods.

Edited by IceVamp