Nice to meet you, Mr. Stephen!

I'm really looking forward to reading your work, you don't get a chance to read quality material about your favourite game very often! :)

I have some questions already:

Will the story begin with Kirov's parting with NATO General, or before that, say, in barracks?

What are your favourite sci-fi books? And which ones heavily influenced your work? (just spying to see what I can expect :) )

Hi Shima, great to meet you!

To answer your questions, the story will begin prior to Kirov's speaking with General Palmerston. Things will unfold very quickly, as the span of this entire event takes place of the course of 4-5 hours. The situation does not allow for a long, drawn-out buildup. That's as much as I can say for the time being.

Regarding my favorite science-fiction authors, that's always a difficult question to answer, because I don't often get opportunities to sit back and read. When I'm reading, I'm not writing. One of my favorite current authors, and also an independent, is Patrick Todoroff, author of the Eshu International series. His work is definitely worth checking out. Turning back the clock some, I was always a big fan of Michael Crichton (who wasn't?). Ray Bradbury's Martian Chronicles was always a favorite of mine, too. But I'm not sure I could say that either inspired my style of writing. When talking about my influences, I'd rather talk about cinema. Films like Black Hawk Down and Alien have influenced me far greater than any written works. I think that definitely reflects in the way that I write.

@ Lee Stephen

Are you aiming to release the Novella with the game or will it be an in advance/when its done release? I kinda like the idea of having something to read pre-release as part of an excitement building frenzy, if you get what I mean.

Welcome Lee Stephen.

Will there be Icelanders on Iceland? I'm curious as to what their military was doing during this incident.

And how exactly does the Soviet unions neighbours like Finland and Poland react to USSR suddenly mobilizeing? Surely they must have noticed?

Edited by Gorlom

Poland at that time was a satellite state of the USSR. I don't think they would've done anything. Would be pretty cool to get some impression about what was going on around the world during the incident (think: World War Z, but smaller), though, so please don't only focus on the four or five hours on-site. Let news from outside trickle in.

Are you aiming to release the Novella with the game or will it be an in advance/when its done release? I kinda like the idea of having something to read pre-release as part of an excitement building frenzy, if you get what I mean.

Chris said it would "arrive before the game does". Not sure if that also means it'll be released to the readers but it seems that way.

Will there be Icelanders on Iceland? I'm curious as to what their military was doing during this incident.

Pretty sure Iceland didn't really have a military, the US ran a protection force from a base at Keflavik.

Tom Clancy's Red Storm Rising is based partly on Iceland as well, a good read.

Really? I originally put a (?) after Poland but the 1979 map I found showed poland outside the soviets borders, so I edited it... Well either case: What would the rest of Europe do?

Well, Poland wasn't part of the Soviet Union. You're right on that, but I didn't mean to suggest that they were absorbed. They were just strongly controlled by Moscow (that's what I meant by "satellite state", sorry if that was too unclear), so they'd probably not do anything if the real Russians mobilized their army (it's likely that they'd have been informed beforehand anyway).

Wikipedia in its opening paragraph on the People's Republic of Poland agrees on this.

@ Lee Stephen

Hi flashman!

My favorite release date is "when it's done," though obviously our goal is to get this thing out as pre-release as possible. On that same note, I don't want to rush to the point where the quality or coherency suffers. The novella will be ready, at the latest, for the release itself. Anything sooner than that is lagniappe.

You have to look up "lagniappe" yourself. :)

Welcome Lee Stephen.

And how exactly does the Soviet unions neighbours like Finland and Poland react to USSR suddenly mobilizeing? Surely they must have noticed?

Don't think worldview as much as in-the-trenches. Obviously this is a planetary event and a moment in history. On that same note, however, this is also a novella! The only way to evaluate every aspect of this encounter, from man to nation, would be to write a full-fledged novel (3-5 times the length of a novella). This is a much more personal story.

Don't take that to mean that the worldwide impact will be ignored, though! It cannot and will not be. It'll just be revealed more through dialogue and plot progression than through chapters dedicated to explaining it.

Welcome Lee, I've always loved a good sci-fi read, ever since I tried Asimov for the first time. I understand the novella is to be written from the point of view of a Russian General at the incident, just wondering if it is to be written solely from his point of view or if it switches between multiple points of view that are all somehow related to the general?

Don't take that to mean that the worldwide impact will be ignored, though! It cannot and will not be. It'll just be revealed more through dialogue and plot progression than through chapters dedicated to explaining it.

That was what I was expecting (if it was included at all) so that suits me perfectly :D

Edited by Gorlom

Welcome Lee, I've always loved a good sci-fi read, ever since I tried Asimov for the first time. I understand the novella is to be written from the point of view of a Russian General at the incident, just wondering if it is to be written solely from his point of view or if it switches between multiple points of view that are all somehow related to the general?

Though the narrative may deviate occasionally due to necessity, this is (Captain) Kirov's story.

Hi, everyone! Great to be here on the forum.

stuff

In the meantime, I'll let this be the thread where I answer any questions and address any issues! I like to be engaged, so by no means do I plan to be a one-and-done poster. I'm looking forward to getting to know you all!

well i am 65 inches high, and weigh about 135 lbs. i have brown hair and brownish hazel eyes. i built my first calculator at age 10, wrote my first computer program at 12. i didn't go to college (definitely a mistake, tell your kids to go to college), joined the USNR at age 28. my top 5 favorite video games are:

1. BGT (mod for baldur's gate 2)

2. JA2 1.13 (mod for JA2)

3. UFO Extender (mod for UFO: enemy unknown)

4. Total Realism (mod for rome: total war)

5. dwarf fortress

my top 5 favorite video game series are:

1. baldur's gate/planescape: torment/icewind dale

2. xcom

3. total war

4. dynasty/samuari warriors

5. hearts of iron

there's my geek side, maybe i'll tell you about my jock side some other time. can't tell you everything at once.