I'm glad they were all dead...

Lucky you, CPL. Corporal Hicks :D

I usually send in my backup rookie (I take the guy just for this occasion) with a grenade in hand to blow up the powercore beside them. It usually kills all aliens in an instant and the explosion ends right next to the doorway in which the rookie usually stands.

Yeah they will, I've seen some unused tiles in game folder which could go nicely to the interiors of the ufos.

But I think the corvette is just to small, it should have at least 2 levels, imho. It's weird that aliens can cramp whole terror mission crew in such small space.

Lucky you, CPL. Corporal Hicks :D

I usually send in my backup rookie (I take the guy just for this occasion) with a grenade in hand to blow up the powercore beside them. It usually kills all aliens in an instant and the explosion ends right next to the doorway in which the rookie usually stands.

LOL, yeah, I think it's good to take the disposable rookie in all missions, so they can go inside the ships kamikaze style :cool:

I was thinking there would be only 1 alien, as usual... So I thought that Hicks could had taken care of it!

Yeah they will, I've seen some unused tiles in game folder which could go nicely to the interiors of the ufos.

But I think the corvette is just to small, it should have at least 2 levels, imho. It's weird that aliens can cramp whole terror mission crew in such small space.

I also agree that the corvette should be bigger, It's so big in the air combat screen, and so small on ground combat... 2 Floors at least!!!!

Well, yeah, rough times, you have to cut corners. But seriously what were they thinking? Having warships shot down by 70's jet planes is downright embarrassing. :D

On a more serious note, I'd like to know what changes xenonauts made to their airplanes, compared to Earth's nations. It raises some eybrows that xenonauts are so hugely successful in downing alien ships and rest of Earth's forces is just crap.

Well, yeah, rough times, you have to cut corners. But seriously what were they thinking? Having warships shot down by 70's jet planes is downright embarrassing. :D

On a more serious note, I'd like to know what changes xenonauts made to their airplanes, compared to Earth's nations. It raises some eybrows that xenonauts are so hugely successful in downing alien ships and rest of Earth's forces is just crap.

I was thinking about that as well, how come all the army of all countries not being able to destroy/damage the UFO's?? Come on... It would be really nice if we had crash sites caused by the army of determined country, wouldn't it? Like "Crash site 39 - UFO downed by Russian Air Force", something like this.

PS: I think they should work more on the interior of the UFO's, there's nothing inside (or maybe they're holding it for future releases?). Where are the screens, panels, seats, stuff like that, and alien tech you would expect to see inside the UFOs.

I'm thinking the "Polarized Armor" from the show Enterprise

or, as the fluff states, some sort of painted material that dissipates energy projections.

Aha! Thanks, I missed that. Come to think of it, these weapons must be riddiculously powerful, when Corvette can down your interceptor with just 2 shots. And its near impossible to dodge Corvette's shots! :mad:

I was thinking about that as well, how come all the army of all countries not being able to destroy/damage the UFO's?? Come on... It would be really nice if we had crash sites caused by the army of determined country, wouldn't it? Like "Crash site 39 - UFO downed by Russian Air Force", something like this.

Well, that would kinda go against the whole "Player guided organisation vs Aliens" theme, I think. National guard getting theirs asses kicked in ground missions is good enough for me :)

And when we get Military bases tileset it will be even better!

Edited by Shima

Or this is just the version of the "Small Scout" in EU, which means that the Corvette is at least 50% bigger...

That'd make the small scout in Xeno equivalent of the single-seat saucer thing that ~always explodes from pretty much any weapon in EU. Implications: worrisome.

or, as the fluff states, some sort of painted material that dissipates energy projections.

And the greedy Xenos don't share their tech! :< Thenagain, the alternative is every single ufo getting zerged by hundreds of Americans and Soviets.

And the greedy Xenos don't share their tech! :< Thenagain, the alternative is every single ufo getting zerged by hundreds of Americans and Soviets.

Actually, giving the tech to everyone would be the smart choice, considering faith of humanity is at stake. :)

Game plays out, the 1st one took nukes, was a massive mother.. of mother ships that needed real power to bring down. However, they are still messing up in the atmosphere so are sending smaller ships, which are like rock to our paper. Now taking on endgame ship with sidewinders is gonna be a no no, however at that point we will have invented quantum torpedoes and piloting the XNC-(Xenonaut Craft) The Delta Kicker

Actually, giving the tech to everyone would be the smart choice, considering faith of humanity is at stake. :)

Yeah, but that wouldn't be very fun game to play. Unless the aliens go all zergrush and blow up all the surface bases within the first few days. (and then for some reason scale back to sending scouts. Maybe their big ships got too damaged :b)

Limited supply of beer. All beer has been channeled to the Xenonaust and technicians require beer to fully activate.

Scientists are even more demanding and only work well when fueled by Absinthe

I wish the corvette were bigger in all ways on the tactical map, bit of a downer to go through all that trouble to shoot it down, you get there and it's just a metal shack that looks really cool on the outside. :) I second that if it had two floors and more interior walls it would probably be fine, though. I'm sure they plan on working on it more.

edit: Looking at that image again, I'd say it definitely needs side doors as well. Once aliens have better AI and start patrolling around their craft, this would make it much more dangerous to approach and lock down, but would open up more tactical possibilities if you can manage to lock down the surroundings.

If these are the ships they use for terror missions or other landings, it would definitely make thematic sense to have side doors so they can disembark and overwhelm the area quickly. This might already be planned, though, I notice there's a seam on each side that could certainly be adapted into a narrow hatch.

Edited by Stromko

If the Xenonauts are downing UFO's with gatling gun and sidewinder missiles, how come the anti-aircraft artillery of the army cannot? That's a bit weird... It would be nice that, once in a while, we could get some "free" crash sites to investigate ;)

I'd say it's a nice idea for a mod. I myself get frustrated with 100th trivial small UFO fight that I shot down myself. Having other nations shoot more of them all around the globe would just drive me insane. :P

Makes you wish for a "Tail until above water"-option at times.

Makes you wish for a "Tail until above water"-option at times.

You don't have to investigate crash sites, you still get points for downing the UFOs. I believe the general assumption in this sort of setting that UFOs which disappear because you waited to long are recovered by local government forces (who of course share nothing with mysterious multinational organizations).

If the Xenonauts are downing UFO's with gatling gun and sidewinder missiles, how come the anti-aircraft artillery of the army cannot?

You use special radiation-detecting equipment, at least the sidewinder missiles do. It sounds like the UFOs can only be engaged at very close range (the modified sidewinders can only get a lock from about 1 KM out according to the Xenopedia).

Frankly I'm surprised the Xenonaut radar dishes have such enormous range as they stand right now. I would think the NATO and Soviet Bloc nations would have thousands of radar dishes covering their territories. I have seen the occasional a message about a UFO being detected by normal forces and them waiting for Xenonauts to respond, though it shows up as an event-blip and not an actual radar contact.

Honestly I'm not sure it makes any sense to have regular radar stations and hangars as parts of a base, when in reality you would need hundreds of them spread all over to cover the globe (and could probably get that from member states no problem). So, I guess your stuff is just extremely, extremely advanced and very rare?

Heck, your low-fuel fighters can't even land in one of the numerous allied airbases that exist all over the world, they just crash and die if they can't make it back to base. I guess they're so advanced they can't even land on normal tarmacs.

Yeah, but that wouldn't be very fun game to play. Unless the aliens go all zergrush and blow up all the surface bases within the first few days. (and then for some reason scale back to sending scouts. Maybe their big ships got too damaged :b)

Yeah I'm aware of that. :)

I'm actually quite content with the explanation in the game. The Iceland Incident is great read! Especially with the main menu music playing for proper atmosphere. Makes me feel like I read report in military bunker deep underground.

Limited supply of beer. All beer has been channeled to the Xenonaust and technicians require beer to fully activate.

Scientists are even more demanding and only work well when fueled by Absinthe

That sounds like Settlers 2 :D

Frankly I'm surprised the Xenonaut radar dishes have such enormous range as they stand right now. I would think the NATO and Soviet Bloc nations would have thousands of radar dishes covering their territories. I have seen the occasional a message about a UFO being detected by normal forces and them waiting for Xenonauts to respond, though it shows up as an event-blip and not an actual radar contact.

Honestly I'm not sure it makes any sense to have regular radar stations and hangars as parts of a base, when in reality you would need hundreds of them spread all over to cover the globe (and could probably get that from member states no problem). So, I guess your stuff is just extremely, extremely advanced and very rare?

Heck, your low-fuel fighters can't even land in one of the numerous allied airbases that exist all over the world, they just crash and die if they can't make it back to base. I guess they're so advanced they can't even land on normal tarmacs.

Well you have to deal with this being only a game and quite faithful to the original X-Com: EU. Furthermore, with all the international radar dishes, additional airports for your fighters and shortened range of your own radars it would get a bit complicated. And it would be pointless to build basic radars in your bases since every nation has thousands of them. And then you research Hyperwave decoders (or something similar) and this problem suddenly gains a whole new side... So it might be just fine as it is now.

Edited by Shima

You don't have to investigate crash sites, you still get points for downing the UFOs. I believe the general assumption in this sort of setting that UFOs which disappear because you waited to long are recovered by local government forces (who of course share nothing with mysterious multinational organizations).

Huh. Guess it's just been the completionist in me that made me go and mop them up all the time in EU. Looking at the scoring page it seems that there isn't any negative scores for ignoring crashsites, after all. Just chance to gain points (or lose them on a horrible failure).

Huh. Guess it's just been the completionist in me that made me go and mop them up all the time in EU. Looking at the scoring page it seems that there isn't any negative scores for ignoring crashsites, after all. Just chance to gain points (or lose them on a horrible failure).

Scoring page has detailed overview?! O_O