I'm doing a Reditt AMA (Ask Me Anything)!

Just a quick note to let everyone know I'm doing a Reddit AMA (Ask Me Anything), which you can find at the link below:

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/ua9t8/iama_indie_video_game_developer_who_broke_into/

This might help drum up some support for our Kickstarter, or perhaps everyone will decide I'm extremely boring. Should be fun, anyway. I'll be around for the next few hours and should mop up any questions a tomorrow if I miss them.

So if you guys are desperate to ask me a question in an environment where I can't whip my banhammer out and banish you, there's the place to do it!

I suspect it was Matthew asking the first question. He's been forwarding me spam emails all day...

Yeah, that was a rude question. He should make more of an effort to know you, or at least buy you a drink first.

The first answer is only accurate after I replied to all those spam emails anyway...

Jean-Luc - yes, true. I just posted that title to try to get people interested. Although I'd only been out of university 6 months when I started the project so I wasn't exactly Warren Buffet!

Incidentally, can someone cross-post it to the gaming section? It won't let me make another post because my current one has not been sufficiently well recieved or something. Also, it'd probably look more like transparent marketing if I did it...

Yeah, but I have personal aversion to making new accounts.

I mean, I wouldn't even have made account for this forum if I hadn't been annoyed by "True successor!" people. And wouldn't have made Desura account if not for this game.

Yeah, I know its kind of pointless since usually its just easier to create account instead of avoiding it.

Isn't the entire forum essentially a big question answering session?

Well, I suppose that is true ^_^;

So anyway, my question is that how do you know whether you have talent for anything? I mean, I personally have so low self esteem that I doubt I could ever even become good in anything game related, but its not like you can just be naturally good in something game related right? Well, ok, some people can, but not everyone? And what if I want to do art stuff for games, but I suck in drawing and such, should I just give up because someone who is naturally good is going to do it better than me even if I manage to train myself to be passable?

Hmm, the traditional joke made amongst my friends is that my two main "abilities" are actually personality defects. I'm sufficiently delusional about my own abilities to assume I'll be able to pull something off if I try hard enough (how hard can it be?), and then I'm too stubborn to give up once I realise I am in fact in waaay over my head. But the handy thing is that if you plug away at something for long enough, it'll usually work out in the end.

I am quite good at organising stuff, although I'm not especially good with people or anything. I'm reasonably bright, but nothing special. It's just a case of knowing what you want to achieve and then keep at it until you get to it, no matter how hard it is. The business knowledge accumulated at my day job did help, but it wasn't the be all and end all. Generally you've gotta enjoy what you do to do well in it - I wasn't very good at my previous job because I simply didn't care enough.

I don't do art or programming for the reasons you said. I don't think I have the natural talent to do it. So I set my mind to raising enough money to hire people who were naturally talented at those jobs to do them instead. Seemed a more efficient way to do it.

I don't do art or programming for the reasons you said. I don't think I have the natural talent to do it. So I set my mind to raising enough money to hire people who were naturally talented at those jobs to do them instead. Seemed a more efficient way to do it.

Generally (but not always obviously) the artistic types who are really good at what they do have little interest or skill in project management.

Letting them get on with it and pointing them in the direction you want things to go seems like a good plan to me.

Looks like some genuinely interesting questions over on the AMA.

Edited by Gauddlike