Ahh, it's good to be back :) The site and forums look nice Chris, I hope the game is moving along nicely. Of course I went with the premium preorder, I support you guys 100%.

Regarding the possible bonuses for the premium pre-orderers, I'd like to make a suggestion. My guess is that the game will have an (infinite?) pool of soldiers for hire with random names, right? Well I thought it would be cool if you guys could add the premium pre-orderers' real names (if they so wish, of course) into that pool. I would love it if I had a physical presense in the game and I'm sure other pre-orderers would love it too. I don't know if it's possible of course, just a suggestion :)

Regarding the possible bonuses for the premium pre-orderers, I'd like to make a suggestion. My guess is that the game will have an (infinite?) pool of soldiers for hire with random names, right? Well I thought it would be cool if you guys could add the premium pre-orderers' real names (if they so wish, of course) into that pool. I would love it if I had a physical presense in the game and I'm sure other pre-orderers would love it too. I don't know if it's possible of course, just a suggestion :)

I suggested something similar on the old forums, but as far as I know, Chris never commented on the viability of my proposition. It did garner some support from the community, though.

The bonuses aren't finalised, and objectively they won't represent better value than the standard pre-order. They're mostly just for people who want to add to the development fund of the game, because the bonus for everyone is a better game at the end of it. There's no shame in going for the standard order though - it's all helpful to us!

Mainly I was just curious, I was commenting on the old forums when there was a considerable amount of pondering about what the bonuses would be and whether they would be semi-useful in-game things or freebees etc. I think names of the soldiers, faces, as well as useful (but not earthshaking) buildable items were mentioned, but it's been a while since I checked that forum. I can't pre-order buy right now (things are a little tight here) but am hoping to get it in a week or two. What I've seen (especially on your new snazzy site!) is very impressive. It certainly seems more in-depth than any such game I've seen before both in the background and the game mechanics. Good job and I hope I'll get to preview the alpha version soon :)

hmmm, not sure having names in the release is really much of a bonus, since you can change names anyway can't you? might be nice for some to think that random person on the other side of the world has a soldier with their name, but oh well, not sure where I am going with that. Let's just say I'm not a fan of that bonus - but I could just opt out if I wanted to I suppose

Yeah you can change the names. Secondly the names are in two sets, first and last names, so the chances of both your names coming together. Thirdly they're randomly generated, so the chances of you getting your name in your game with all these points... Quite low

The idea was to give each premium pre-orderer a chance to add a full name (a given name or a pseudonym, their choice) into a separate, hard-coded pool of soldier monikers. The resulting database would then be scrutinised by the community in order to prevent abuse.

There was also talk about fleshing out these recruits by filling in more personal details (age, nationality, service history), or even by giving them fixed stats and physical appearance.

Any chance of getting a hard copy of the game?

As much as I love DD's, there really isnt anything quite like having a hard copy of one of your favorite games that can work independently of a DD service or online connection. Even the ability to install the game on a computer that has no or will never have a connection.

I know its a minor thing... but its something to think about....

Im going to stick with my premium regardless of the bonus because I love GoldHawk for what they have done and being so open to the forums for suggestions to help shape the game (a game for the fans molded by the fans)...

The idea was to give each premium pre-orderer a chance to add a full name (a given name or a pseudonym, their choice) into a separate, hard-coded pool of soldier monikers. The resulting database would then be scrutinised by the community in order to prevent abuse.

There was also talk about fleshing out these recruits by filling in more personal details (age, nationality, service history), or even by giving them fixed stats and physical appearance.

I know what the ideas were, don't you worry =p I even thought some of them up. Still waiting on a final answer, but as I've said, there are a few complications too

I know what the ideas were, don't you worry =p

Oh, I wasn't insinuating you couldn't recall what was discussed only a few weeks ago, that was merely a quote function fail on my part. My post was meant as a summary of the stuff that was brought up on the defunct forums, so that discussion could pick up from where we left off.

Claiming partial credit for the ideas I showcased, however, was just mean! For a moment there, new forumites probably mistook me for a real thinker!