Russian translation

Hello, everyone!

I’m trying to translate Xenonauts into Russian language. Some sort of game modification, you know. And there is a technical problem here. The game doesn’t show Cyrillic. I was trying to switch code page from ANSI to anything else but it doesn’t work (why don’t you use Unicode?). Is it possible to do something with it?

By the way, I’ve translated your website into Russian (except gallery-pages and elder news). I can't understand haw to attach files to this message :D so, I’ll send it to you by e-mail. Please feel free to use it any way you want.

Well, maybe I'm doing something wrong. I open strings.xml with notepad++. I can see, UTF-8 is used. So yes, I think it should support Cyrillic. Replace soldier's short rank is the easiest way to check changes for me - I can find it in the game immediately. Then I change the ranks, save the file and start the game. But only I can see in the game are blank spaces in place of Cyrillic letters.

Absolutely the same for xenopedia.xml

I think, I should attach strings.xml which has the strings were changed. Here it is. The strings # 192 # 196 # 200 # 224 # 228 # 232 were changed.

strings.zip

strings.zip

strings.zip

• 2 weeks later...

OK. I've translated the xenopedia.xml file (descriptions only), and now I can't move forward without your help. There are two files in the attachment 1) translated xenopedia.xml 2) .doc file with Russian and English text.

Unfortunately you're keeping silence. I don't know what should I think.

Have you confirmed the problem? Or was I so stupid with my trying to use Notepad++? Or you was so scared with my Engrish? (I know, it's isn't perfect, but it's much easier to translate from English to native then write or speak English).

Anyway, English words usually have too many meanings to translate separate words without context, so I should stop and wait for your answer.

[ATTACH]681[/ATTACH][ATTACH]682[/ATTACH]

xenopedia.doc.zip

xenopedia-r.zip

xenopedia.doc.zip

xenopedia-r.zip

OK. I've translated the xenopedia.xml file (descriptions only), and now I can't move forward without your help. There are two files in the attachment 1) translated xenopedia.xml 2) .doc file with Russian and English text.

Unfortunately you're keeping silence. I don't know what should I think.

Have you confirmed the problem? Or was I so stupid with my trying to use Notepad++? Or you was so scared with my Engrish? (I know, it's isn't perfect, but it's much easier to translate from English to native then write or speak English).

Anyway, English words usually have too many meanings to translate separate words without context, so I should stop and wait for your answer.

[ATTACH]681[/ATTACH][ATTACH]682[/ATTACH]

Don't take his silence as a sign of mistrust, he has a lot on his plate. Try sending him a PM, that might get you a quicker response =]

I don't think it's necessary, cause there is nothing official. Just a modification. Afterwards any one can change these text files. But the game doesn't show Cyrillic, and I can't understand, am I doing something wrong, so it's my fault, or there is a real technical problem?

Anyway, I don't want to hurry anybody. I know translation isn't main problem now. I'm just trying to show - I'm ready to work on it, it's really interesting.

Edited by Olgoy-Horhoy

Hmmm. You're right, the XML file isn't picking up the Cyrillic for me either. I imagine the issue is that the file (probably because it's Excel parsed now) is not supporting Unicode any more. I'll have a chat to the coder about it at some point - although it's not that high on my list of priorities yet!

• 3 weeks later...

Wouldn't you also need the xenonauts.ttf file to be able to include cyrillic? It dosn't have accented or special characters neither(like Ø , è, and ó) as I initially included some in my soldiers mod but the game would crash if a soldier had them in his name.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
And we (Russians) are watching you!

Probably the biggest Russian gaming web sate 'Absolute Games' has news about you, guys.

Cool. Seems like there's some kind of Russian proverb at the end, something about offering a pig without something something. How does that actually translate?

He means "a pig in a poke".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_in_a_poke

"The idiom pig in a poke can also simply refer to someone buying a low-quality pig in a bag because he or she did not carefully check what was in the bag". Buying something without knowing what it is.

In the original russian version it's "cat in a bag" (Кот в мешке).

Oink!

Oh, NOW I get it! I had to translate article here. Sorry about that. OK. Let's do some English practice :D

'An independent developer Goldhawk Interactive that is working on the X-COM remake – Xenonauts last three years just opened the page on Kickstarter. They are raising funds to make the release closer and better. If they can’t reach this target, the release will be later on October this year.

The Xenonauts gameplay is very similar to original X-COM. In base on classical mechanics developers have made it more profound and understandable. The player leads an international Special Forces group who is trying to defend the planet from the alien invasion. The entire globe is available to him on strategic map, so hi can use the key positions for military base. He has to launch interceptors to dial with UFOs. Construction, research, production of weapons and finance and personnel management is also part of his duties.

When interceptors catch up with UFOs the game switches to real time air combat. On each side of the air combat take part up to three pilots, and it’s possible to command them separately. If you manage to shoot the UFO down, Xenonauts launches turn-based battle. Tactical combat location are generated randomly, and all objects on the tactical map are destroyable. The UFO capture is not only the mission. You also can clean-up occupied territories, attack alien bases and defend your owns.

Unlike the other developers who collect money by Kickstarter Goldhawk Interactive does not offer buying something you know nothing about. Right now you can download the Xenonauts demo and check this out. The minimum amount for buying a digital copy is $20. The information about other awards is available on the project page.'

And there is a voting below the article.

The question is – Did you like the demo?

For now:

47% 123 Have not seen that and do not want.

23% 58 Not bad!

19% 48 Excellent!

6% 15 So-so.

5% 12 That's nonsense!

SilverMoonFlare, спасибо за разъяснения! :)

Edited by Olgoy-Horhoy