Build V12.1 Released!

The recruit solder list bug can be solved by loading new game. Then load your savegame and list should be populated. Its not a major issue, I generally recruit a surplus of soldiers at start to counter this bug later in game. I also use cheat-engine to hack money as to speed test things :) Once game goes beta(one year?) hopefully it will have most content available thus worth taking more serious.

sorry didn't read ALL posts, but I dled the new build and started a new game, and get ##### for alien invasion research yety after completing a shootdown mission was able to research the alien tech(handgun)... oops, I think as in XCOM/UFO IIRC the initial research(alien invasion) was pre-req for EVERYTHING else, and well... #####....

(I'm guessing simple typo and fragile parsing system... off to kinda sorta check...)

And there's a new UI for research coming, so they're not focusing on filling the descriptions just yet.

The Alien Invasion topic is not required to research something else afaik. That would be strange, however it is required to research the MiG.

Update looks juicy. Really like that we can shoot through windows and the hyper velocity tag!

<snip>

Really like that we can shoot through windows and the hyper velocity tag!

Can we? I've tried shooting through a window with a shotgun and the precision rifle, but only hit the wall. I rather doubt it was poor aim since in both cases I was right up against the window and the baddie was in a straight line and not very far away. Does it only work for rockets?

Desura's updating system is really miserable. 15 minutes of validating old files, <1 minute of downloading files, and another 10 minutes of installing them.

vat.

It really is dreadful. And now it's telling me there is a new update again despite having been updated yesterday. I'm actually going to uninstall it and redownload the whole thing. I think that might be quicker than Desuras update method!

[edit]

Yeah I think that was quicker. :D

Edited by targetbsp

Korval - it's only been set for a few windows so far. Maybe I'll update all the tiles and do another release tomorrow, we'll probably use the Quick Battle for the Rezzed Expo this weekend so I should really get it sorted before then.

It really is dreadful. And now it's telling me there is a new update again despite having been updated yesterday. I'm actually going to uninstall it and redownload the whole thing. I think that might be quicker than Desuras update method!

[edit]

Yeah, I think it is. I actually timed the 12.1.1 update. 18 minutes validating, about 1 second downloading, and 7 minutes installing. 25 minutes in total. With 10Mbit connection, the whole thing could be downloaded in about 22 minutes. With faster connections the gap will just keep going larger and larger.

This is going to become more of an issue in beta. We're already cutting down the number of spritesheets in the game

to save download time, but in beta they'll all be there. It'll take longer to download for that reason, and the sheer number of sprites and tiles means it'll take even longer to verify. Not fun.

Couple things to note so far. Some Civilian Military have ALLOT OF AP (like 200 or so is my guess). Also they appear to not make gun-shot sounds or walking sounds for some civ/mil over grass? Oh also the Tile for cement wall barricade is still showing over top of soldiers.

Infact this mil civ is firing non stop until alien is dead. Unlimited.. No sound in the process, unless he hits.

I'm actually going to uninstall it and redownload the whole thing. I think that might be quicker than Desuras update method!

[edit]

were did you get the download, all i find on Desuras is V12.zip, am i just being stupid is there some secret url that you have to know the handshake to get to

finding it very frustrating and not keen to go the check game route

just tried the download on

http://www.desura.com/games/xenonauts

page and it still V12 same size as the original i got

is Desura the only place to get it or is there some ware else

Edited by gbusrt

were did you get the download, all i find on Desuras is V12.zip, am i just being stupid is there some secret url that you have to know the handshake to get to

finding it very frustrating and not keen to go the check game route

just tried the download on

http://www.desura.com/games/xenonauts

page and it still V12 same size as the original i got

is Desura the only place to get it or is there some ware else

Desura is the only place you can get it.

Have you tried updating/installing through the desura client. The DRM thingy from Desura.

The client version of the game will always be validated and available before the zip file version. (simply because there is a lot more to go through and validate in the zip file)

Now version 12.1 is much more stable than all other versions that came before it. I was able to play 7-8 hours and still play now. This is amazing! Previously, he could not normally play at least one battle without a crash. We must continue. Perhaps you have time to autumn to release a stable build so that it can play. :)

Edited by resonansER

No that's because not all the descriptions have been written for the game yet. It is still alpha after all.
Ah, but it wasn't even letting me assign scientists to it, while as soon as I got the gun I could pick it assign scientist and complete the research...

[EDIT]

hmmm... another update on desura today about maps generating properly...

...and yes it takes FOREVER for it to check files, even on a 3930k/16GB/WD Caviar Black 1TB 6G... still grinding away...

[/EDIT]

[EDIT2]

Actually makes M$ pokey updater look speedy...

[/EDIT2]

Edited by cutterjohn

Can we? I've tried shooting through a window with a shotgun and the precision rifle, but only hit the wall. I rather doubt it was poor aim since in both cases I was right up against the window and the baddie was in a straight line and not very far away. Does it only work for rockets?

I don't know if i understood the wrong thing, but i could shoot through windows for quite some time in earlier builds, at least with a shotgun or a pistol. Note that the first shot breaks the window and the bullet doesn't pass through. You have to shoot again and depending on the angle many times to make the bullets go through.

All the windows are supposed to be closed.

Edited by xcom

The way i do to install a new build is just execute the Desura client and call the game. If it detects that there is an update i let it update, and if not, well then i play the current version. Its not fast but at least you avoid making a mess in the installation and then waiting even more time.

Maybe defragmenting the hdd when you are not playing could help the update process being faster. Desura's update process is very slow. Steam is much much faster.

Edited by xcom

honestly I dunno why people are complaining about desura so much. You realize that desura is a slow process....and then you move on. It sucks you cant have instant gratification, but its really not such a big deal is it? Just walk away and do something else if it bothers you. Or just play another game at the same time

honestly I dunno why people are complaining about desura so much. You realize that desura is a slow process....and then you move on. It sucks you cant have instant gratification, but its really not such a big deal is it? Just walk away and do something else if it bothers you. Or just play another game at the same time

When an operation that shouldn't take more than a few minutes at tops takes half an hour, it's more than just slow. Running validation on a 5GB game in Steam takes 90 seconds (and isn't even needed for updates), whereas Desura validating a 1GB game takes 15 minutes, not to mention the update process being instant on Steam save for the downloading part, where Desura tinkers around another 5+ minutes after the download, for even a tiny <1MB update.

I don't have that big of a problem with it, there's plenty of other stuff to do, but it still is ridiculously slow in comparison.

(anyways, it's Desura's fault, not Xenonauts'. Either way being the first contact with the service, I have hard time justifying buying anything through them if there are any alternatives)

Edited by Kaguya

You don't see the truth. Time, which Desura installing updates, very long. In fact, Desura engine developers have curves hands.

When an operation that shouldn't take more than a few minutes at tops takes half an hour, it's more than just slow. Running validation on a 5GB game in Steam takes 90 seconds (and isn't even needed for updates), whereas Desura validating a 1GB game takes 15 minutes, not to mention the update process being instant on Steam save for the downloading part, where Desura tinkers around another 5+ minutes after the download, for even a tiny <1MB update.

I don't have that big of a problem with it, there's plenty of other stuff to do, but it still is ridiculously slow in comparison.

(anyways, it's Desura's fault, not Xenonauts'. Either way being the first contact with the service, I have hard time justifying buying anything through them if there are any alternatives)

I agree with you. It's a true and pure truth! ;)

Help me out... The direct download link and file are still actually the V12 version, and not the V12.1 version as indicated? I D/L the file, and the launcher has "Preorder Alpha Build V12 - 17 June 2012" in the upper left corner. I would have thought it would have gotten update by now...

I would have thought it would have gotten update by now...

Yeah, last time they had it updated in under a day, I think they forgot completely.

This is going to become more of an issue in beta. We're already cutting down the number of spritesheets in the game

to save download time, but in beta they'll all be there. It'll take longer to download for that reason, and the sheer number of sprites and tiles means it'll take even longer to verify. Not fun.

Could you not distribute the sprites as a packaged file (.zip or .rar etc) have Desura verify THAT single file (crc check I presume?), then on first run extract the sprites, rather than have lots of little things for Desura to verify?