Build V12.1 Released!

Build V12.1 has been uploaded to Desura and has been released. It is not yet uploaded to the Desura client-free download links though. It takes them a while to clone and upload it.

The new build adds a variety of new features and does some balancing of the suppression system. It should also fix the CTDs from the last build.

A couple of important things to note - Matthew has been having computer problems so this build has not been very well tested internally. It's possible it might be extremely unstable.

Secondly, things have got to the point where I'm only making very cursory efforts to sanitise the builds as every time I remove something to keep it "secret" it runs the risk of causing more stability issues in the build. I've just taken most of the art and research / manufacturing out, but you may well still be able to encounter parts of the game that are beyond the scope of the alpha if you play long enough. Obviously these won't work very well for you.

I'll post up a seperate development update later today. And without further ado, the update notes are below:

New Features:

• Animated Tiles: We’ve added support for animated tiles in the ground combat maps. This will initially mostly be used for alien technology (it’ll be a visual representation that something is valuable and should not be destroyed) but we’ll roll it out as widely as possible before release. The UFO Power Source tile inside Scout and Corvette UFOs is now animated.
  • Morale System: The morale system has been expanded a bit, so when troops suffer a “morale event” they will either panic and lose all their Aps, drop their weapon and flee, or go berserk and fire off their weapon. The system can now be customised by modders. It’s been tweaked so troops should be a bit braver too, hopefully it’s not gone too far the other way.
  • Pre-generated soldiers: All the Kickstarter soldiers have been added to the game and can be accessed by anyone. Instructions on how to do so here: http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/2362-Pre-Generated-Soldier-List
  • EMP Damage: We’ve added EMP damage to the game. This is a third type of damage (along with normal and stun damage) that can be set for weapons and it only affects robotic units and vehicles. The only early-game weapon that causes this is the stun baton but there will be dual stun / EMP grenades in the beta.
  • Smoke Grenades: These have been added to the game. They are starting items and available in unlimited amounts, and when thrown they generate a cloud of smoke in the blast area. This smoke will reduce accuracy of anything firing through it. Smoke now only causes stun damage to a unit once per turn, instead of every tile they walk through causing a new stun damage attack.
  • Hypervelocity Projectiles: if these projectiles strike an object, they will do enough damage to destroy it and will then continue down their flight path until their damage potential is exhausted (so you can potentially shoot through a building and out the other side). The first example of this is the AP rocket, which is a starting rocket launcher ammunition type, but more powerful weapons that use this will appear in the beta.
  • Windows: There are now designated window tiles in the submap editor. Any projectile that strikes them is temporarily counted as a hypervelocity projectile, so it will do enough damage to shatter the window then keep flying along its flight path. So you can now shoot aliens through windows.
  • Delete Save Button: There’s now a “Delete Save” button on the Load Game screen, so you don’t have to have old saves cluttering up your display!
  • Female Soldier Spawn Rate: This is now customisable in gameconfig.xml (search “femaleSoldierChance” ) so if you want a team with more or less women you’re free to do so.

Balance Tweaks:

• The suppression values for all the weapons have been tweaked so roughly 20% less suppression is caused by all weapons.
  • We’ve added a check to the suppression formula to prevent friendly units close to the firing soldier getting suppressed (this “safe” radius around the shooter is the same width as suppression the radius of the weapon).
  • Alien non-combatants have increased bravery to stop them getting suppressed far more easily than alien soldiers. Their lighter armour means they’ll still be a bit easier to suppress though.
  • The Hunter / Ferret armoured car should now correctly cause suppression.
  • The ballistic machinegun has a significantly higher burst fire cost now.
  • Smoke and all gas types now only cause damage once per turn, either when the unit starts a turn in it or when they first enter it. Moving into further tiles of the same gas type will not cause additional damage. Moving into further tiles of a new gas type will apply damage from the new gas type though.

Bugfixes:

• When shot, female soldiers should now have female injury / death sounds.
  • Less CTDs, hopefully. Unfortunately Matthew is having computer problems so I don’t have a full bugfix list but I think we’ve fixed the major CTDs from the last build.

That's a nice amount of new features for a point release. Hope all/most of the CTDs are gone. :)

As I was reading I heard "female spawn rate" in the Zerg overmind voice, which made me think of larvae hatching into female Xenonaut soldiers. Hmm.

update: seems to be live for premium but not normal. odd.

also any rough ETA to download os x / linux ports from Desura?

Edited by erutan
had moar thots

This sounds great. Loving the sound of the hypervelocity projectiles, and the fact that windows can now be shot through! That was pretty much my only gripe with the game up until now; no exploring a building when a sudden shot smashes through the window to scare the bejesus out of me and kill my trooper.

Chris, does firing from a window tile (not through a window from a distance) still negatively affect your shot accuracy, or has this now been fixed?

Hypervelocity Projectiles: if these projectiles strike an object, they will do enough damage to destroy it and will then continue down their flight path until their damage potential is exhausted (so you can potentially shoot through a building and out the other side). The first example of this is the AP rocket, which is a starting rocket launcher ammunition type, but more powerful weapons that use this will appear in the beta.

AP Sniper Rifle!

I'm listening.

It's not been approved by Desura on either branch yet. I'll pester them when I see one of them online on Skype.

Jimbo - no, not yet. Thanks for the reminder though, I'll put that on the to-do list for the next update.

I'll write a longer post on general progress today, which will include ports and the wider issues.

Thanks for the reply, and you're welcome. Once that's done I'm looking forward to testing out whether fortifying a building and holding out, with your soldiers reaction firing out at aliens as the appear is as effective as it used to be in UFO.

This! I used to love playing UFO this way :)

Especially against Chrysallids. Up to the top floor, blow the stairs, sit back and take pot shots. It took ages and the civilian population was toast (my 14 year old brain didn't care about this at the time!) but it was fun!

I actually like that the bleeding wounds system may mean that I can't just sit in a building and play defensively for as long as I want to, as trying to complete a mission before a valued soldier bleeds out will add a sense of urgency to the missions.

Desura's updating system is really miserable. 15 minutes of validating old files, <1 minute of downloading files, and another 10 minutes of installing them.

vat.

I believe they are think of upgrading their system to three hamsters next month. :)

new here were on Desura is the download, i can only find the V12 for preorder V12.1 is preimum preorder

as i already order do not want to reorder just to get latest build :(

found the download for preorder button but its still say V12.zip

Edited by gbusrt

the zip file download will not have updated yet. (and that the premium preorder displays 12.1 is a bug related to desura trying to seperate the standard and premium preorder version despite that they are the same version.)

The only way to get 12.1 right now is to update through the client. You will have to wait a bit longer still to be able to download the version 12.1 zip file from desura.

A word of advice for this build folks- The scout (not light scout) has been beefed up and will take out a single interceptor- you will need to treat them more cautiously this time around

EDIT: actually Noticed some bugs. That 0% aim bug is still around, but this time it wont crash the game. Also I've tried recruiting soldiers and when it says recruit from the list there are none to select-anyone else having this problem or is it caused by negative faction relations?

Edited by Gus