Introduction thread!

Chris

Hi everyone!

Pleased to have finally made the jump into getting the game. I've been looking at it for quite a while now. I loaded up Steam X-Com last week and it's lost none of it's magic. I'm hoping that this will be a worthy successor to it.

In the far distant past I played Rebelstar Raiders on my bouncy keyed Spectrum and most of it's successors. Then X-Com was reviewed in the Fortean Times and I picked that up for the Amiga, not knowing of the connection for number of years.

A number of reimaginings/reboots/resets/sequels later and I'm still pretty much hooked by it. I'm looking forward to discussing the game with you all.

Edited by thothkins

Hi There,

Long time lurker who's been following the game ever since it was first mentioned over on RPS and I've now finally bitten the bullet and pre-ordered. I still have my floppies with UFO: Enemy Unknown on (and TFTD and the CD of Apocalypse) and I think I've tried all the various remakes, reimaginings, reinventions etc. at one point or other over the years, without ever quite finding 'IT' (whatever 'IT' was/is). I'm hoping this one is different, but from everything I've seen and read it looks as though it is going in the right direction (hence the pre-order).

Have to say I'm also looking forward to the Firaxis reimaging too - more than enough room for both :) Good idea to make the alpha available - it was the Firaxis stuff that pushed me over the edge from wanting more XCom to needing it now!

I look forward to trying it out once it has downloaded and will share impressions on the forums here.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

My name's Shane and I live in London. I've always tried to play the old XCom games but couldn't quite get past the awful menus and gfx (I'm a GFX whore) so with the spate of remakes I'm very happy. I saw this game on the Kotaku website and thought I would like to help finish the game so I chucked my money in.

I'm stumbling through the game at the moment but I certainly hope to have an epiphany sometime soon and 'get' turn-based shooters

We are all just bots really, designed and built to spout random posts related to Xenonauts.

And we all dream of electric sheep.

I dream of electric aardvarks. back to the workshop. That is, if I were an android and not an active, busy poster, then it would be back to the workshop. But I'm not. Look! Posting away! that's us. no adroids here. no sir!

Hello all!

I'm Chuck from the US, I was a bit late to play X-Com when it was out but I'm a big fan of turn based tactical games. Having been burned by games in Beta in the past I'm excited to what the Demo Chris is going to put up for the Kickstarter looks like.

And I've probably already poke the bear by saying nice things about Firaxis's X-Com in the Off-Topic section.

Welcome sixgunninja. (Love that nick btw)

The thing to remember is that the alphas (Xenonauts current state) and betas are going to be flawed. However I too have been in betas and suddenly the game has shipped, and I've been thinking "Hell no, I'm not buying that for at least a few months!"

However I have high hopes for Xenonauts, obviously.

I've got high hopes too, everything ive read and seen makes it look well designed and well made. I would simply rather play the finished product than troubleshoot it now. But I'll right at the front of the line when the Kickstarter posts to try the demo and give Goldhawk their tribute.

We dont have anything against the firaxis version. Many people say they are going to buy both games. So poke away!
But its not as much fun if it isnt heresy!

Really I was just surprised at they ways some posters assumed the roster and ammo would work in the new Enemy Unknown, but correcting people on the internet can be dangerous. Especially if you try to use facts.

Edited by sixgunninja
grammar

But its not as much fun if it isnt heresy!

Really I was just surprised at they ways some posters assumed the roster and ammo would work in the new Enemy Unknown, but correcting people on the internet can be dangerous. Especially if you try to use facts.

Yes... I've experienced that. On this forum. NastyNative has me on ignore as a result. (I was a bit blunt and could have handled the whole thing better)

I think I'm the only one that has gotten put on anyones ignore list so far on this forum =P (where's my achivement?)

Hi there. I suppose this is a but late, as I have been posting for a while now, but I thought I should introduce myself anyway.

I'm from New Zealand, living in blenheim at the moment.

I'm an aircraft technician by trade, and a sergeant in the royal new zealand air force.

I loved UFO:Enemy Unknown as a teen and have been hoping for a really good remake for years.

I think I have found it.

I'm surprised you haven't got the spam award given I don't think anyone has got to 1,000 posts so quickly before. I assume Sathra still has it though...

I have had the spam award (several times, I was competeing with AD for a while) but I slowed down for a short period and someone else got it while i wasn't looking.

Current holder is pluxc I think.

a stack of early day baked goods that ends up shooting people in the head.

great.. I had quite fancied some potato scones for breakfast. How do I know that if I eat them now, their relatives aren't going to just turn up and shoot me in the head? Huh? huh? Scrambled eggs for me now...