Kickstarter $200+ tiers?

Lol.. yea, id say the final number should be somewhere between 60 and 500k.

I was going to go with "the final amount will definitely be a number."

Xenonauts 2: the retirement home

...where surviving Rookies go to remini...oh, no there aren't any are there?

Seems like the pledges are plateauing, at this rate the project will finish at about $200k if lucky. The project would most likely benefit from additional high end tiers with some relatively small additional rewards.

I have a feeling Chris is mistaken in thinking about how much people would be willing to pay for reward X. All people need is some reason to pay a lot more money.

For instance, I have pledged only $50 because I do NOT want any physical rewards for pledging more. Also, I do not want my face to be a portrait. I could easily pledge over $200 for this project just because I love X-COM and want to support the game and can afford it, but I need some kind of a small incentive to do so.

It's not about how valuable the higher tiers are, it's just about having some sort of an excuse to support the project more.

There are a lot of intersting non-physical rewards that are very cost-effective with next to no effort required from your part. Off the top of my head, you could give a free version of the next game / expansion you make if you ever make one at +$100 or pair that with special thanks in ALL future games you make for +300 or +400. Or maybe a beer and an hour long tour of a possible studio with Chris if the pledger ever visits Chris's neighborhood within the next 2 years for +$400 with a signed photograph of you & Crish & the team if the pledger wants one.

You can gather a lot more money if you want to.

Edited by Linque

I'll bet that people would pay an extra $25.00 to have their least favored 70's politicians show up in an alien abduction notice in the Geoscape. Perhaps in-laws and lawyers too.

That might reflect poorly on Goldhawk though. It would be funny despite that.

I think sell.the female.portraits make 7k And add something to 100 125 and 2 for 150. digital exclusive team photo. Pdf of your favourite artwork. A with thanks page. A bi weekly video diary entry outlining your crazy time. A link to a guided tour of your house.

Selling female portraits would look bad now that Chris has said he'd be including a starter set as a feature.

I was also under the impression that the portrait artist was getting maxed out with work already. If that's not the case I'd suggest offering more slots of the $200.00 option. I'm pretty sure they'd sell as well as they did the first two days.

I'd be very happy if the funding reached 205k. I'm kind of doubtful it will but it's hard to predict these things. It would probably need a popular reward item to reach 200k and beyond like a boxed copy but who knows if those would be worth it. Just the time required to ship them (not counting monetary costs) is probably enough to push one's sanity to the brink.

Yeah, opening the 200$ tier to women would be great if an artist could be found to do additional portraits.

Edit:

Apparently there's a site that predicts KS outcomes based on empirical data: http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/69341191/xenonauts/

Oh wait: http://blog.kicktraq.com/why-you-should-take-kicktraq-trends-with-a-grain-of-salt/

Edited by Jean-Luc

You could always price the boxed copies way higher. Have a limited edition boxed version with 1000 copies priced at $300 each, saying this exclusive version will be only available thru kickstarter. Even if you sell only 20, I'm sure $5000 will more than cover the costs of production.

You do wonder if the initial push would have been more had the target been $100k

>thunk< sorry, the mists in my orb of hindsight got a bit cloudy. That's better.

dunno... I think $50k is enough, to ensure that something worthwhile comes of the kickstarter. It'll most likely get to $100k, but can you imagine if you only got to $98k? That would be frustrating.

most projects start strong, lag and then pick up at the end. I'm sure we'll get to $100k to $125k at least.

You do wonder if the initial push would have been more had the target been $100k

>thunk< sorry, the mists in my orb of hindsight got a bit cloudy. That's better.

I agree with that mate, Chris I think you should've set it to something between 70k to 80k, I'm a 100% sure that people would have reacted (donated/supported) the same way and you would've counted with the extra funds.

Anyways, damn gooooooooood job xenonauts, as soon as I hit my holidays Im going to save Earth :D

PS.- great fucking job showing the forums on the intro movie, not many Dev teams let people know that customer's opinion are heard.

You guys are probably already familiar with this link, but I thought it might be useful in determining where/how to sweeten up the right reward tiers:

http://www.kickstarter.com/blog/trends-in-pricing-and-duration

In short, Kickstarter did a study of all of their projects at the time and broke down how much a reward tier generally provides to the overall income of a project. Generally, they have found that 100$ and 50$ tiers contribute a higher percentage to the overall project funding than any others, so it might be worth your time to see if you can expand the value of those tiers. Of course, I understand that expanding the value of a 50$ contribution might not have a whole lot of legroom while still maintaining profit, but it's still some very good info to have.

Chris, you definitely need to prioritize adding additional higher-level reward tiers ASAP. At the moment, there's no real attraction for people to donate at the higher levels; more copies of the game are nice, and having your name in the credits is as well, but it's not glitzy. It doesn't grab people's attention and make them go "oooh, I want that!"

Every day that new higher-level tiers aren't added could potentially cost you guys hundreds or thousands of dollars, so you really should try and get the new ones up ASAP. Just my 2c. :)