Weapon AP Costs

Ingame shots do tend to spread far less than squad fire does in X-COM, but I think that's actually a problem which needs to be addressed.

That's because Chris wanted them to actually be realistic misses, rather than shooting at an alien in one direction but the shots going out 90 degrees away =p

A gun can only be fired so often mechanically, but is the time taken to acctually aim that wepon before fireing taken into account then? Woudln't one be able to shed some of his aiming time off with experience?

Edit: or are we assuming the soldiers are stepping right out of Counterstrike and are using aimbot?

I like to think of it this way. Some times aiming will only take a second, the target is still and in the open. But sometimes it takes a lot longer, the target is moving, behind cover, crouched, weaving, etc. (obviously real world examples, but still slightly applicable). What we have though is a system that averages the amount of time you would use to aim shots. It doesn't for instance cost more to shoot at an alien who presents a smaller target, because then no one would ever be able to reserve enough AP properly. That's how I explain that to myself =]

They are fine for a laugh but not so great when you are relying on the bullet going in the rough direction of your target :P

As I mentioned you could have training or extended use reduce the percentage used by your shots a little, on a soldier by soldier basis, to reflect the idea that they are much more familiar with the weapon and can use it that little more efficiently.

By extended use I am referring to my own suggestion of weapon proficiency medals for several kills with a specific weapon.

Physical training would allow them to move around more without drastically reducing their number of shots per turn.

Also Gorlom remember you are technically already winning this discussion (can you win a discussion?) as the system currently used is the one you prefer anyway!