i just read the first page, and found that [missing are, mountain, jungle, artic and forest.]

.... to me, this is somehow dissapointing.

consumer like me get attracted to support the game by the slogan "xcom remake". but now not even the fundamentals are there but the game get strayed and dragged to enhancing some other features with its limited resources.

bah!

That was made in diablo & in ja2(1999 !) -

why it can't be in game of 2012 year ?

Because you are looking a feature incomplete alpha build?

i just read the first page, and found that [missing are, mountain, jungle, artic and forest.]

.... to me, this is somehow dissapointing.

consumer like me get attracted to support the game by the slogan "xcom remake". but now not even the fundamentals are there but the game get strayed and dragged to enhancing some other features with its limited resources.

bah!

X-Com had 10 terrain types, if you include the martian, and two of those others were alien and x-com base tiles.

Xenonauts so far has 9 types listed for it, including xeno base and alien base sets.

That is the same if you ignore the martian.

I say ignore it because it was only used for the finale and the xeno finale has not been announced, or even hinted at yet.

Chris has also said he wants to implement others if time and funds allow.

With a tiny bit of research (probably took me less time than it would to fire off an uninformed post) I have located folders relating to arctic (probably the tundra tileset?) desert, farm, industrial, suburban, temperate, town, alien base, and xeno base tilesets.

Hopefully the soviet, indoor, and military base tilesets will also make it into the game.

Why do people fixate on exactly duplicating the old game?

Why do people fixate on exactly duplicating the old game

Hugging my X-COm box and repeating 'you'll be reborn...you'll be reborn...' into the early hours is not fixating!

It's a no win

If it's the same then you have no creativity, and haven't put your own spin on it.

The urges to 'improve' things is as varied as the posters on this board so no one is going to be entirely happy.

If it's different then you've given into too many of the urges and strayed from the hallowed path.

X-Com had 10 terrain types, if you include the martian, and two of those others were alien and x-com base tiles.

Xenonauts so far has 9 types listed for it, including xeno base and alien base sets.

That is the same if you ignore the martian.

I say ignore it because it was only used for the finale and the xeno finale has not been announced, or even hinted at yet.

Chris has also said he wants to implement others if time and funds allow.

With a tiny bit of research (probably took me less time than it would to fire off an uninformed post) I have located folders relating to arctic (probably the tundra tileset?) desert, farm, industrial, suburban, temperate, town, alien base, and xeno base tilesets.

Hopefully the soviet, indoor, and military base tilesets will also make it into the game.

Why do people fixate on exactly duplicating the old game?

thanks for clarifying, appreciate that.

i think if not all, most of the patrons are attracted to the slogan "xcom remake" to patronised.

and if most of the patrons are having that mindset, they will naturally hope Xenonanut will include things they encountered before, like amazon jungle and pine forest.

at the same time, some considerable amount of newly introduce things would be fairly acceptable, but not overdo things. example(just imaginary example, not a real case) is, if the developer go and put another hefty level after blowing off the alien mastermind in Mars, just to think that it will excite the player more, then this might not achieve the purpose.

xcom did it(artic, jungle, forest) within tenth of megs, but it would be unfortunate if Xenonauts decided to abandon those.

Why would it be unfortunate if this game didn't have the exact same tilesets?

It will have the same amount or even more sets, some of which x-com didn't have.

That is like saying it is unfortunate that the original powered armour isn't used even though there are more, and more varied, armours in this game.

Why would it be unfortunate if this game didn't have the exact same tilesets?

It will have the same amount or even more sets, some of which x-com didn't have.

That is like saying it is unfortunate that the original powered armour isn't used even though there are more, and more varied, armours in this game.

I really like the forrest tilesset and I would want the hills back into the game. Although they might be problematic to represent but I really would like them ingame :D So the reason I want forrest (I couldn't care less about jungle or artic tbh) is that I like it, or atleast the idea of that particular tileset.

Hills and uneven terrain is being worked on, you can see the test tiles for it in the tile folders.

The main problem for the jungle type tiles is that Chris felt the trees wouldn't be detailed or individual enough for a modern audience.

Not with the funds and time available at least.

You can only walk past so many identical trees before you start to feel a bit let down.

Rather than have what he felt might be a substandard tileset he removed it and spent the time on others that could work better.

That is what I have put together from his previous posts.

Could all be wrong or misleading but I am sure he will let us know if it is.

I'm more excited about the soviet city tilepack, and made me start thinking about a "south american" tile pack, or "asian city" tilepack. So much work, but would add so much environment to say, Terror missions. Aliens attacking Tokyo would feel like aliens attacking Tokyo. Or say, Rio.

Peterwalgreens, I have to disagree. Adding more town tilesets does not enchance tactical gameplay in any way.

American, Soviet or Asian town would look cool, I agree on that, but it's just the same city combat.

Gorlom's idea with forest is quite nice.

Just imagine that night combat in a dark forest, full of caves in which aliens might be lurking, with a stream flowing in the middle of the map...

Speaking on that - do we have any water tiles in Xenonauts???

To be fair he didn't say it would add to tactical gameplay, he said it would be more atmospheric.

Completely different reasons for preferring a tileset in my eyes.

I would prefer an indoor industrial map, hopefully reminiscent of Aliens.

Although those rockets I take on every mission may be a problem...

The main problem for the jungle type tiles is that Chris felt the trees wouldn't be detailed or individual enough for a modern audience.

well, some initial screenshots of farm cabbages tileset truly impressive to me though~

and thats why i am looking forward for more natural world(jungle/forest) tactical environment. i don't meant to be hater, just as a wisher. new tilesets you mentioned are remarkable as well, appreciate these value-added features.

in fact, if we shoot down UFO in the middle of U.S. or middle of South America, the chances of UFO crashed into pine forest or amazon jungle are much more greater than urban area. at the same time, its varying our tactical combat decision because jungle warfare and urban warfare are different(a polygonal wall will totally hide our soldier but not a treetrunk). well, thats what i enjoyed so much in the good-old-xcom.

In game terms there would be unlikely to be much difference between a wall and a tree trunk.

Tactically it would be the same, just in a different environment.

Don't get me wrong though, I would like to see a nice wild looking area as well.

Anywhere with a few caves to hide in and some difficult terrain to make advancing more difficult than running from wall to wall.

See how the tundra tileset looks though before I start asking for other new ones.

• 2 weeks later...
Some new ideas for game ... -

1.) Peek around the corner

(Looking out around the corner wall)

1b) Throwing a grenade around the corner,

with NO looking out around the corner.

2.) Use Ja2 system for movement.

Run, go, go-squatting, crawling.

lie on the floor function - for snipers.

go-squatting - this function is very necessary,

because without - covers have no meaning when moving.

(when aliens shooting in you)

(on\off - silent mode for movement)

3.) Open doors not completely function - 25% \ 50% \ 100%

(look into the room through doorway)

4.) Setting traps on the door

(such as grenade, c4)

alien open door and Booomm ! :)

- aliens can make it too !

4b) Closed doors - which you need to crack.

(like in ja2)

5.) Shot in the head, if there is a skill - sniper.

6.) Setting grenades as a trap, if solder have exploser skill.

7.) Strafe left\right, go back.

(Ja2 system of movement)

8.) Traces of blood when the object has a wound.

(red, green, blue, orange or black as oil, if alien is a mechanical)

9.) "Large avatars" view of all team.

(ja2 interface)

10.) Add visual liveliness, - add to the background -

cats, dogs, birds, - cows in the fields, goats, sheeps and other livestock.

:)

11.) Make an animated trees and bushes.

12.) Ability to mine the way - if the coating allows.

(laying of mines) - aliens can make it too !

13.) Hotkeys such as ctrl+s \ ctrl+l - fast loading\saving.

14.) Add animation when a soldier is idle ...

(as in ja2)

15.) Add Value stamina (energy) as was at X-com & is in ja2 game,

so when you run - stamina go down, if a soldier is overloaded - stamina go down.

If breathing gas or smoke - stamina go down.

15b.) gas masks.

16.) Ability crush(kill) the alien with machine\tank.

----------

Some ideas for engine -

1f76a57272c77dbf585a3c75f4d60b89.jpeg 4f570ac659ab64770c74ed23b2c26965.jpeg 10f032fb587abb547ba3aef248c60fa0.jpeg 3f8cd3db04ac806c6d862784a846d8fb.jpeg 77af26a819ad9561ade1f92e46d1fef6.jpeg 2c4fbe697a41ddb9f1ddc1f29b22e152.jpeg a9453ed9a25c1ce9e879ae90eb9d531b.jpeg a534c475c3cb3eb0ef5f192dc3ddd8dd.jpeg

any news ?

any news ?

Yes. Practically nothing of that is being looked into. Unlikely any of it will make it in. The exception I think would be 13). :rolleyes:

PS. Did you do what I asked you last time (like 6 posts up)? Did you PM Chris?

Edited by Gorlom

More soviet kit would definately be welcome.

Given the cold war theme, it would be nice to have an option that toggled "NATO/Warsaw Pact" for the weapons. It wouldn't even have to do more than just different names and graphic on the selection screen.

M16 - AK47

M60 - RPK

and so forth

Edited by runequester

M16 -> AK47

This I can see. The Assault rifle is somewhat...lacking...in the accuracy department, which is just utterly confusing seeing as how you're arming your troops with the M16, a rifle that easily can reach out to a small target at 500 yards in the hands of a trained solder (which they should be...unless the commander's using the "bury em in bodies till they asphyxiate" tactic...).