Can scintists die during research?

KOKON

I guess allien can break it's cell or wake up during autopsy or some box can suck someone inside lol.

I've watched my father playing xcom when i was 7-8 y.o. and we have played lego reenacting alien containment module incident with me and my friend as a chief scintists inside with all scintist die except us. Just wanted to say that was pretty interresting :P

p.s.: do not bring too advanced aliens inside your base alive

Edited by KOKON

Probably not. Much larger scale, so instead of a dozen or so, it'd be something like 50 scientists and engineer at least in a major base.

A bigger concern is how the soldiers would work. Currently you can only control 16 soldiers or so (UI control limitation) so...

Well, squads immediately come to mind, though I'm not a programmer so I wouldn't know how hard that would be to implement. In Apocalypse, you were allowed (I think) 6 squads of 6 people, totalling 36 soldiers.

Others, well, maybe I'll make a list some time later this week and post suggestions here. Been quite busy lately.

Well, squads immediately come to mind, though I'm not a programmer so I wouldn't know how hard that would be to implement. In Apocalypse, you were allowed (I think) 6 squads of 6 people, totalling 36 soldiers.

Others, well, maybe I'll make a list some time later this week and post suggestions here. Been quite busy lately.

That squads were implemented to:

1. make realtime possible to play

2. make tactical missions more quick in case of last alien lurked somewhere and game turned into realtime until this alien is close to you

Any other ideas to make squads are useless

Probably not. Much larger scale, so instead of a dozen or so, it'd be something like 50 scientists and engineer at least in a major base.

1. You don't have to place all the scintists on the map if that is the problem

2. They can be selfcontrolled

Edited by KOKON

One more thought is about player's base attack. We've been pooing our pants with bricks when we recieved this message. And we were also scalcred to place alien containment module believing that aliens can rescure their friends from there or smth. While this is not so important this also can be interresting :P

edit: some aliens can be placed in research modules and ailien containment during the base attack with some sintsits around for more fun and horror

Edited by KOKON

Any other ideas to make squads are useless

That's a bit final and negative Kokon. I realise it's your opinion, but everyone is allowed to have their own. It might be useful in some other ways we haven't thought of yet

1. You don't have to place all the scintists on the map if that is the problem

2. They can be selfcontrolled

By self controlled do you mean by AI? Or the player. Because the engine can only run 16 soldiers for the player, so that's a no go, and I'd hate to have scientists on the map, and have no ability whatsoever to direct them to safety. I just don't see any positives to having them around. but that's just me

That's a bit final and negative Kokon

yeah. yeah. sorry

do you mean by AI?

Yes stupidly standing or retreating somewhere. I guess they would be in a relatively safe position initially.

I don't think this feature is really important but thats just possible :)

Edited by KOKON

I think the engine could handle controlling more, there's just a space limitation for the UI elements (hot-buttons) and why would you need more that 16 soldiers and 4 tanks? There are very few situations that would require it, and it'd get tedious moving them all around.

One advantage of having squads is being able to control troops in widely-spread groups. The hot-buttons and selection hotkeys make it much easier to find them. Being able to separate troops into sub-groups was brought up for if players want to use troops in specific squads/fireteams. Like 3 riflemen and a couple special weapons guys in one group, snipers in another, etc.

As to how that would be done, *shrug*. Basic options were either set while on base, or being able to sort them while in a mission, like a control group in an RTS.

Having AI controlled scientist and technicians would be like window dressing, but there isn't much of a worry about keeping them alive. Yes, you could lose points, but the techs aren't really important since you could just hire replacements after the battle with the money from the loot you got from the dead aliens. It'd also make the turns longer, since you'd have a bunch of civvie-type NPCs, all the aliens and then your own troops.

First thing I did in Apoc was run the scientists for the nearest map edge.

It wasn't a fun mechanic it was just an extra task to perform.

Send all the scientists away from the base with the remaining troops as protection.

If you wanted to keep them you could have an actual NPC turn where you can control up to 16 scientists/national guardsmen using the same UI.

At least you would have proper control, although the additional coding involved may not be worthwhile

I would assume that the bases have some kind of a hidden panic room for scientists, engineers and other non-combatants to retreat to in case of an attack. If aliens take over the base, they will be dead anyway, but a good explanation why they are not anywhere to be seen during a defense mission.

Again i would imagine this like they are running on their own without your control. With some sintists locking theirselvs in lab room with aliens blowing the door but not qiuckly. And some scintists near dangerous alien containment chamber violantly eaten up by the eivil monsters they research that can be rescured if you are not taking care

Well i'm sorry for so much flooding on this a little stupid topic

Edited by KOKON

but that's just extra animations to be done, and have to sit through. And then there is the loss of resources (money for new scientists) for with a lot of difficulty trying to save them. Plus how exactly would the aliens breach the containment, given they've been held within it for probably weeks , and haven't managed to break out before. I can understand someone breaking them out, but not the other way around

Perhaps if the aliens reach the Alien Containment they can free their fellow comrades? That'd be pretty scary if you're housing a lot of cryssalids. There can even be a few 'self-destruct' spots that you can activate to destroy the alien containment module using your soldiers if the aliens are advancing well.

You can also make the scientist AI go straight for a designated 'panic room' (living quarters maybe?), making their actions more predictable, unless they panic. The cost of losing them is a good price to pay for letting the aliens find your base. Maybe you can even have an increase/decrease in costs for scientists, proportional to the number you let die/save.

Except, in Apocalypse, scientists were limited, so you wanted to save them, especially those with 90-100 skill.

I would imagine that all Xenonauts bases would be well guarded, with a smart, defensive layout. With a radar system installed, you would think they are geared up and ready to defend against the raid.

Hell, a good explanation for why scientists aren't seen in the battlescape could be that they have already retreated into safe rooms when UFOs are detected near the base. Then we don't need to have scientist defense at all.

Edited by 81dB

Yeah, I think the scientists would already be in the panic room when the aliens get inside the base, it's not like they just teleport inside without a warning.

Not sure about this freeing of aliens from the containment. I doubt that they would be in a condition to immediately start fighting even if they would get out. Some of them might be badly wounded from combat/experiments/interrogation, and perhaps the captives are being held unconscious for safety reasons? So they would have to be carried out by the attackers if the base is taken. Assuming that they even care about saving them.