Vehicles - balance and usability (V22.7 HF2)

Ah... secondary weapon graphics. I was only ever able to access secondary weapons through a keyboard shortcut, so I don't have any idea how to get it to switch between the two. Might be worthwhile looking into my older versions of the same script to see if there are features which have since been edited.

The old garage screen UI had a section in the lua script to display and select possible secondary weapons but that was removed when the new UI was created.

I still have a copy of the old script file with the code intact but I haven't tried adding it back in yet.

On the ground I think you always had to use a keyboard shortcut to select secondary weapons, I remember doing that with my original test mod back in May 2012 and secondary weapons were already not being supported by GH at that point.

I wonder if there would be a way to sneak them into the quick grenade slot?

I usually use the vehicles as bulky yet expendable scout in the beginning of each ground assault to explore and establish a perimeter and occasionally blow up some nasty alien clusters without exposing precious soldiers. I honestly don't see what can be changed at this stage to increase the appeal of vehicles as I'd always prefer soldiers to deal the final shot and once you hit the UFO it's effectively done.

There are a couple of potential highlights mentioned in the thread such as granting soldiers ability to shoot from behind the vehicle and implementing experience but those would potentially raise balance issues even if coding them in was possible at this stage. I'd say increasing the ammo by say 25-50% and/or throwing in a little more HP would be the simplest way to go.

I'd say increasing the ammo by say 25-50% and/or throwing in a little more HP would be the simplest way to go.
Where have I heard that before? :Dhttp://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/9858-Armored-Vehicles?p=109130&viewfull=1#post109130 Anyway, I'm glad someone else agrees with the general idea. Edited by StellarRat

I played quite much in Iron man mode, and should mention, that HUGE part of my missions, simple hunter car with missiles was more than enough. I mean, I really don't see any balance problem with them, as power they bring is quite more than enough.

I, personally, don't prefer them to be fully scouts, choosing paths, where they can serve as shield for my troops (this is the biggest reason, why I bring them. As well, Because of space they use, I decided to remove one shield unit (I always used 2), and, actually, am quite happy with result. One shield unit is enough, while vehicle provide cover is more than enough.), sometimes I use their guns as direct obstacle destruction. It seriously boost tactical approaches I can handle to take off aliens, or just move from new paths.

From my point of view, expendable vehicles are very great, especially in iron man mode. Though, I would really like to have at least 'bit of some kind of stat boost, or achievement gain for them. Just for, well, personal attachment feel. I still can't decommission my first hunter car, as It served me so well. But in stats screen, it doesn't tell anything 'bout that. I know, from balance point of view, stats gain for expendables aren't good, but improving some performance from technologies we gather should be nice. Like, let's say, we boosted total power gain, and engine power for vehicles raised a bit (10TU). Or, alien computer tech is achieved, which enhanced a bit vehicle aiming. And so on. I don't think, that it is bad idea, as it is direct enhanced through gains from earning technologies.

Personally I don't use them on ground missions. In earlier builds I tried them, but found that I only used them as scouts and cover destroyers. For which they were fine, but they don't really meet my needs because:

1) It's more important for me to level up my troopers and since vehicles don't level, they actually steal experience if you use them to kill stuff

2) They can't be used effectively for breaching UFOs...more troopers is better

Possibly in later game when you've got bigger drop ships...maybe they're OK. Just depends on how bad the mission is and how many grunts you've had to hire because of veterans being lost.

So what I'm left with as far as them being useful is this: Base Defense. In case of an alien attack, they make great scouts and can serve to block infiltrator movement.

None of that is really a game issue, but more so a playing style/decision.

Personally I don't use them on ground missions. In earlier builds I tried them, but found that I only used them as scouts and cover destroyers. For which they were fine, but they don't really meet my needs because...
You might be forgetting that they have superior vision range and are invulnerable to Reapers and psionics plus I've actually be able to use them quite effectively to take the first level of any larger ship and they can get to most places inside a base too.

I'm not forgetting all that...I just haven't gotten that far in my play through yet. Later they may be very worthwhile, especially when I've got my teams all leveled up and am carrying larger numbers of crew.

Attacking an alien base with them would be good. That's basically the same as having your own base attacked.

And in the OG I do remember one mission where I beat the mission soleley because I had flying plasma weapon tanks. Everyone else was either dead or under alien psionic control :eek: