Let's Talk About: Squad Formation

Hey, guys!

I am new to Xenonauts, but I really like it. I am curious about what roles you use (or create), and how you equip each role. Can we trade some experiences?

Speaking of myself: I cut off the Rifleman role and put assault rifles at the hands of the Assault role. The two or three stronger men among them additionally carry shotguns for close quarters. This guys are the core of my squads, doing well within medium and short ranges; they carry a good amount of granades too. Besides, I have one Shield with pistol, shield and granades, one Heavy Weapon (named just Heavy) most for supression fire, but sometimes useful to burst over alien packs and get some kills too, one Rocketeer (name just Rocket) to open ways and get groups, and finally two Scouts (named Recon) with the biggest TUs, no armor, carrying sniper rifles.

What about you, guys?

Edited by Alexandre Lange

My standard team is three Riflemen, 3 Assaults w/ shotguns, 1 sniper and 1 heavy with MG. Assaults tend to be loaded down with grenades and will carry a cattle prod in their backpack once I've researched them (I did sometimes have them carry shields and pistols as well but I think later builds will be invalidating that tactic). Riflemen carry a few grenades and medkits; heavy and sniper carry C4 and medkits.

Generally I run 3 two man teams (1 Rifle and 1 Assault in each), with the sniper and MG following up at a safe distance to provide support.

Riflemans aren't that bad in their role as average guys. They are more mobile than lmg guys but can use supressing fire even over greater distance and be fairly accurate just as snipers with singel shots.

In the beginning I usually go with 2 assault, 2 sniper, 1 lmg, 1 shield, 2 rifle.

Assault units are always the mvp but lose imo a bit of their value in the lategame and it's dangerous to use them against units than can fire back when hit once. You will encoutner units in the mid game that are sometimes able to take 3 directs shots from a plasma assult rifle, fire back and kill your guy. You also won't be able to supress these units most of the time.

Shield guys become pretty much useless later on imo. The shield can't take that much damage and it's safer anyway to use a plasma charge to open gates and you can use flyers to scout relativly risk free.

Machine gun guys are the mvp of the super late game when you have the access to the best amors in the game. They will become more mobil and are able to kill pretty much anything as long as they don't suck at shooting ;)

Snipers and rilfemans are the whole game through useful imo. Snipers are probably not all that necessary in the lategame but riflemans can mentain their role as average useful units. Still I probably have more machine gun guys than snipers and riflemans together at the at end of the game :D

My preferred tactic is a very up close and personal one.

Two assaults and two shields (all with high TU's), all loaded with grenades with the shields carrying one shield in each hand (they drop one at the start of the mission and switch to pistols, that way they have back ups available) and usually with two zap rods and two bricks of C4 thrown into the mix.

Then two rifle men, typically chosen due to high health and reflexes with two medkits each and a few smoke grenades. They are positioned at the side doors of the dropship for a quick scout of the LZ.

Finally I take a heavy because suppression is always useful, and then either a rocketeer or a sniper, depending on where the mission is taking place. These two usually carry any other miscellaneous stuff I may need, unless its a rocketeer.

Riflemans aren't that bad in their role as average guys. They are more mobile than lmg guys but can use supressing fire even over greater distance and be fairly accurate just as snipers with singel shots.

Assault units are always the mvp but lose imo a bit of their value in the lategame and it's dangerous to use them against units than can fire back when hit once. You will encoutner units in the mid game that are sometimes able to take 3 directs shots from a plasma assult rifle, fire back and kill your guy. You also won't be able to supress these units most of the time.

I totally agree: rifles are the way to go, that's why my Assault guys ARE riflemen: they use assault rifles instead of shotguns; I just don't like the name Rifleman. In other words: I think that worth nothing to have a whole role with shotgun as primary weapon as it is useless until you reach short range (sometimes a bad idea). So I use riflemen, give to some of them shotgun as secundary weapon, name the role Assault and use this one for both original Rifleman and Assault roles.

Question: Anyone do use vehicles? Sometimes I think that it is better for a shield+scout role then men, but it get no experience/ranks, so...

Mmh I personally think that assault rifles / shotguns are probably THE best weapons in the early- and midgame. They need only a few TU to fire and deal huge damage. You have to support them with supressing fire and grenades, they than can run in and fire 2-3 shots in singel round which is also often enough to kill more than a singel target. They alternative often have enough TU to run in fire, kill and retreat. In the beginning when you chose the roles for your soldiers is the most importent stat for these soldiers consequently TUs.

Regarding vehicles, never used in the early game when you only have 8 spots in your dropship. They can be handy but they never my first choice when I also could use 2 well trained soldiers.

I think that worth nothing to have a whole role with shotgun as primary weapon as it is useless until you reach short range (sometimes a bad idea).

It's worth noting that shotguns have a good reaction modifier, so even if those soldiers can't shoot, they can still be useful for scouting as they're less likely to get fired on.

I use my shotgun guys as scouts; the reaction modifier on the shutgun means they stand a better chance of not getting reaction fire. In my two man teams, Assault always moves first, while Rifle hangs back to provide support; if it's clear then I move the Rifle up.

I've been experimenting with the following setup:

2x Shields with stun batons and/or backup weapon

The backup weapon allows these guys and gals to be usefull even if their shields get destroyed. Of course it's usualy unfeasible to have both an armor and a backup weapon. Shields tend to lose their usefulness after a while, so I may swap these to shotgun-equivalent armed soldiers after I get good enough armor. I use them for scouting and breaching. They can also act as mobile cover of sorts for other soldiers.

2x Riflemen with medikits and lots of grenades

Rifles are really flexible weapons, medikits are good to have, as are grenades.

2x Riflemen with Rocket Launcher

It might be unfeasible to haul both armor and rockets unless the soldier is very strong. But I've been so traumatized by Androns that I don't want to be ever caught without weapons that can kill them. Once I get at least lasers the Rockets became a bit less usefull.

2x Machine guns with smoke grenades

MGs are plain awesome. MG carries make good smoke haulers because if the need rises they can redeploy and pop a smoke.

I normally run 2 LMG, 2 sniper (with medpacks), 3 rifle dudes (plus medpacks), 1 shield guy. Everyone gets any excess carrying capacity filled with a mix of grenades. Shield guy gets a stun stick when researched, and his loadout swaps to a rocket launcher on terror missions.

I follow the Canadian Squad formation. A squad built around two machines gunners, which can be split into two four man teams. These can be further split up into four two man teams. Alpha, Beta, Charlie, and Delta. Two of the eight individuals are the 'Combat Pioneers'. Men who specialize in demolition and 'breaching' enemy fortifications. They are my replacement for the Assault class. They carry two packs of C4, two of every type of grenade, an assault rifle, and one med pack. In alternative scenarios, such as Terror Missions, I would have of them replace their assault rifle and C4 with a rocket launcher/rockets. The rest of the squad is armed with assault rifles, one grenade, and one smoke grenade.

The team has worked rather well so far. (Though I admittedly have not gotten far enough to test out whether or not the rocket addition would be a good idea.) Real world tactics working out for the win!

Edited by Emperor_Zoron
Forgot the comma.

Hey, guys!

As I found not much difference between rifles and sniper rifles concerning accuracy at distance, and as the rifles have some supression power with burst fire, my current formation has no Recon/Sniper. It is now two squads of four men each: 1 Shield (pistol, stun baton and granades), 2 Assault (rifle, shotgun/rocket as secundary, granades and medkit) and 1 Heavy (machinegun, smoke granades and medkit). Works well!

Come on, people, continue to share your experiences! Squad formation play a big role in this game, it is great to have the opportunity to know alternative ways to think and play. I am sure there are great tacticians here (maybe even some real military ones)!

Edited by Alexandre Lange

Landed or crashed UFOs:

2 sniper, 1-2 heavy (depend on UFO size), 1 rocketeer (the only weapon that survived from the beginning), 1 shield/pistol and rest filled with rifles and carbine. More carbine with large UFO.

Everybody has grenades. Early game: more smoke, flashbang and stun. Androns appear: most stun replaced by electroshock.

All rifles and sniper have also medikit. All carbines have also stun batton. All rifles have also C4 (unless they are fresh and have less TU).

Alien base:

Only 1 sniper and more carbine than rifles. Rest the same.

Early game: Other soldiers carry additional rockets for rocketeer.

Terror mission:

As for landed UFOs, but maybe a third sniper. Less carbines, more rifles.

In V19 and V20 I have build some hunters for terror missions but they were made out of wet cardboard and were destroyed nearly instantly. Exploded on shots that a soldier in Jackal or Wolf armor would survive unwounded.

Now with V21 I have build a hover tank with mag gun...exploded on first terror mission from a single hit of an Andron fired battle rifle. Yeah, nothing has changed. :( Cardboard in a different colour. Will never build them again. Waste of money, alloys, production time and room in transport.

Never use two shields due to lack of firepower, although the shield guy gets very accurate with the pistol. :)

In the beginning I usually go with 2 assault, 2 sniper, 1 lmg, 1 shield, 2 rifle.

Same, and depending on strength I'll have riflemen carry a shotgun and assault carry an assault rifle in their backpacks for versatility.

I don't use vehicles for my primary squad, but they can provide some nice cushion room for my secondary one.

I'm surprised no one has brought a squad plus a vehicle in this discussion.

I planned on getting the larger drop ship first. THEN I could bring a vehicle with the squad. That way, I would not be working with fewer men than usual.

I use them for terror missions especially since they don't have to worry about Reapers.

I see... This had not occurred to me. In that case, I'll be sure to bring a vehicle when I go on a terror mission.

I planned on getting the larger drop ship first. THEN I could bring a vehicle with the squad. That way, I would not be working with fewer men than usual.

I see... This had not occurred to me. In that case, I'll be sure to bring a vehicle when I go on a terror mission.

They also aren't affected by alien psionics. The only downside is that you don't have enough shots and they are very expensive. I think more ammo is definitely in order to get the balance right. One pointer, you need to treat them the same as soldier. Use cover, leave enough TUs to retreat, etc...because they can still be destroyed fairly easily. I'm very careful with mine.

I'm surprised no one has brought a squad plus a vehicle in this discussion.

I'm a filthy tanker.

I roll with one rocket-turretted hunter, and six supporting troops. The tank (I use that term loosely, as it's not a tank, but I treat it as one) leads the way, doing the bulk of the killing until it's time to breach. The soldiers pick off any stragglers that escape my rocket tank of doom. I use 2 heavy weapons troops, equipped with the LMG and a shotgun in their satchels. The other four fine folk carry assault rifles, and also pack a one-shot rocket launcher with a side serving of c4. Although I will probably swap the secondary weapons around, as four shotguns is far better for breaching.

Yeah, I add a vehicle when I get the Shrike (generally a Scimitar as I have those researched by then).

And then I spent the next couple of missions giggling whenever I fire the Pulse Laser. I always forget how fun that gun is.