Aircraft Weapon Questions

jay_b11175

Hey all,

I've been doing some fiddling with the Aircraft weapon load-out. I noticed that you can get up to 4 hardpoints for heavy or light missiles, but I think I remember reading somewhere that the game only supports a maximum of 2 cannon mounts (with no missiles). From what I remember, this is because of the control icons that show up during air combat (to turn a specific weapon on/off).

Is this true? If so, is there any way to add a half-scale version of the cannon icons (just like the missiles have a full scale and half scale image) so that the aircraft can support up to 4 hardpoints be it cannons or missiles in any combination? If I were to add more than two cannons, would they function normally and I would just loose the ability to toggle them on/off, or would it be a conflict and CTD?

If anyone can give me some answers it would be much appreciated.

You can change cannons to light or heavy missile hardpoints and it will resize the icons accordingly.

The only issue is that UFOs which can dodge are programmed not to dodge against weapons mounted in the cannon hardpoints, but they will dodge weapons mounted in the light and heavy missile slots. I don't know if you care about that, but I wanted to point out that there'd be some collateral implications of the change if you do it.

Don't know about anything else, though. Never tried.

@ kabill, don't think you're picking up what I'm putting down, if you catch my drift... So, anyway, I tried it, and it looks like you can add any combination of Aircraft weapons to the aircraft in question (for example, I added an extra cannon to the Marauder for proof of concept to give me a 2 heavy missile/2 cannon craft). The drawback is, as I suspected, the pictures for the cannons in the air combat screen still take up 2 slots apiece. This means that although I have two cannons and two heavy missiles, I can no longer control when my missiles are fired :\