(Sort of) Random Maps!

kabill

Sorry kabill, i think its no chance.

Just saying that wodden palisade was set next to the corvete entrance. those aliens who can't jump or broke it like androns maybe would become staked, but no real problem, just funny-)

No matter. I might stumble across it if I ever get a chance to have a thorough look through the maps.

kabill, could you teel me about Skitso maps?

doese

- Skitso's Ultimate Megamix Map Pack 2000

- Skitso's Improved Tree Stumps

work with yours correctly so i could use them not inly yours, but both with Tactical Dragons Into darkness mod?

Yeah, they should all work together fine. (But note that you won't see Skitso's Farm or Desert maps very often because of the large number of maps this pack adds in. This may or may not matter to you, but it's worth bearing in mind.)

Make all the maps randomized Kabill!!! PLEASE!! I beg you!!! Im dying of boring with the statics maps!!!

T_T

Or if its too much work for you to do can you at least make a guide or tutorial on how you did it, particularly your manual edits/fixes (outside of obviously bad stuff of course, im talking about changes made to improve play or flow). I expect there was more than just make a bunch of random maps and make sure they work.

And if Solver and others get other tile sets to be added in I dont think youll want to keep doing it for the other 'integral' sets that the community will develop.

I expect there was more than just make a bunch of random maps and make sure they work.

I wouldn't be too sure ;)

I actually thought I had explained my methodology in the OP somewhere, but apparently not. It's definitely a good idea to have a guide, either for people to make their own or for people to develop their own methodologies. In any case, it's actually not that complicated: it's time consuming more than anything.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe, one day. The industrial/terror maps will be the hardest to do, because buildings take a long time to make. Although that said, since there's only so many exterior shapes that buildings can (meaningfully) take, it might be possible to start with a small number of submaps and build up alternative interiors over time.

Writing about maps has made me want to make more maps!

I also happen to have some time over the weekend, possibly enough to make a set of random maps for one of the tilesets.

The two I have my eye on are Arctic and Middle Eastern. Both of them should be manageable in a relatively short space of time, as I should be able to put just about everything in a single submap pool like the desert maps.

Reasons for doing Arctic: there's no extra maps for that tileset yet; it's probably a bit simpler to than Middle Eastern.

Reasons not to do Arctic: it doesn't get used as much as other tilesets.

Reasons to do Middle Eastern: it's gorgeous and my favourite tileset.

Reasons not to do Middle Eastern: it's gorgeous and my favourite tileset, and the more tilesets I do before it the less chance I have of screwing it up.

So, I am at an impasse. I'm therefore looking for opinions: which of the two would you like to see some maps for? You've got until tomorrow morning (British time) to tell me if you have a preference.

Considering the majority of gameplay takes place during winter, shouldn't Arctic be employed a bit more often in GC? :(

Given that the game takes place in both hemispheres ... how do you reach this conclusion?

It starts in Autumn/Spring and moves into Winter/Summer although none of those designations mean a great deal in the tropical regions ... and a lot of places in the world dont get snow during winter in any event.

The point isn't how many places don't get snow, it's how many do which would still expand the Arctic coverage, no matter if the game takes place in 2, 3 or 7 hemispheres.

Well, nowhere in Africa, Australia, South-East Asia, South America, Central America or Southern Europe. Yes, there could be more use of Arctic maps in parts of Northern America, northern Europe and Russia, but if coding in variable map types for any given location would have involved significant work, I can understand why efforts were directed elsewhere.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...