Rank progression question

How do you get your whole squad up to Commander? Currently I only have 6 in Nov '79.

Okay, I'm being flippant. I take it rank progression is currently (and will remain at release) something like a basic 10 "stars" = rank one, 25 stars = rank 2, 50 stars = ranks 3, etc. If so, I assume the only way to avoid having an entire squad of Commanders will be to massively increase the number of stars required?

From gameconfig.xml:

<soldierRanks>

<!-- Soldiers increase their ranking when they have a certain number of rank points. A rank point is gained each time an AP, strength, accuracy, reflexes or bravery progress is done. -->

<Private--------rankPoints="0" />

<Corporal-------rankPoints="3" />

<Sergeant------rankPoints="9" />

<Lieutenant-----rankPoints="16" />

<Captain--------rankPoints="30" />

<Major----------rankPoints="45" />

<Commander----rankPoints="75" />

<Colonel--------rankPoints="100" />

</soldierRanks>

Chris has said a few times that he doesn't see a need to change it so it will likely stay as it is.

That is a pity, as my troop ranks tend to get top heavy.

I did like the fact that almost everyone of your troops panic in UFO: Enemy Unknown when your Commander went down.

I am not a fan of (the new) X-Com: Enemy Unknown ranking system, where all of your end game troops are of the highest rank.

(well at least in a game that you have a chance of winning).

I would really like to see them add in the "rookie" rank and bump up all the other ranks a notch :)

to lengthen the time in the lower ranks as I tent to find myself using Lt's to draw fire, something that is best left to the privates :P

Edited by TehRoach

I've seen a few threads that talk about not liking the way the ranks work in Xenonauts, but it seems (to me at least) that there's a fairly simple and obvious solution: just rename the ranks. I agree that it's ludicrous to have a squad of majors and colonels deploying to deal with an alien scout ship (not to mention the incredible speed with which Xenonaut operatives become more brass than a bedstand). To fix this, I plan on renaming the ranks in strings.xml (by the way, thanks very much, Gauddlike, for recommending Notepad++) to end lower, probably somewhere around Sergeant, maybe Lieutenant or Captain. Since it's not inconceivable for a squad of special forces soldiers to be all NCOs or lower Officers, the whole thing works fine.

EDIT: Here's the rank progression I used (taken from www.forces.ca)

Private (Recruit) / Pte ®

Private / Pte

Corporal /Cpl

Master Corporal / MCpl

Sergeant / Sgt

Warrant Officer / WO

Master Warrant Officer / MWO

Chief Warrant Officer / CWO

Edited by MortuusSum
added rank progression

I also prefer that approach.

I went for non military ranks instead though.

Their military rank is awarded by their own military, the Xenonauts progression just reflects their seniority and experience within the organisation.

If nothing else it is a good excuse to bring back the rank of Rookie!

Rank's in Xenunauts don't really indicate rank - as in job role, but experience level. I'd rather have them be something more descriptive (Recruit, Rookie, Soldier, Veteran, etc..), or just eliminate that title all together, and have rank be an independent, player controlled function. You can already tell experience by how much they've improved, stat wise.

It's too late to change it for release, but maybe a patch later?

I'd limit rank for soldier's to Lieutenant, or Captain, and allow the player to promote. Maybe something simple like Private, Sargent, Lieutenant. Basically, you have have 1 Lieutenant for every 10 or 12 soldier's, 2 Sargent's, and the rest are privates - trying to simulate a realistic squad structure.

Rank give's a higher moral bonus when in the vicinity of soldier's, but also a higher panic when wounded or killed.

The player can choose who to promote to what ranks. I'd require all rank positions to be filled.

Promoting a soldier gives a bonus to bravery, demoting a HIGHER penalty to bravery (so you end up worse off) to simulate effect on moral.

Edited by Muskrat