Base Names

For my current play through: Guardian, Sentinel, Warden, Protector, Defender. Thought the names were fitting for a group that was supposed to protect humanity. In the past I've also named bases after different types of weapons (Katana, Claymore, Sabre, Scimitar, Halberd), though I am using that naming scheme for my interceptor squadrons (different squadron name for each base and fighter class)

My current bases are themed around firearm inventors/designers/etc. For example, there's Kalashnikov base in Russia. My interceptors I named after various melee weaponry. Condors are all Broadswords, Foxtrots are Stilletos, and Corsairs are Morningstars. Don't have any names for my ground vehicles (yet).

Try using different swords for the fighters: Condor is Broadsword, Foxtrot is Falchion, Corsair is Rapier, Marauder is Claymore; and bludgeon type weapons for the ground vehicles: Hunter is Shestopyor (that is a Russian style mace), Scimitar tank is Warhammer, and the Hover tank is Morningstar. I don't use these specifically, just a suggestion. Other weapon themed names include:

Stiletto, Rapier, Hammer, Guisarme, Dirk, Brandistock, Kopis, Bec-de-corbin, Espada-Ropera, Maine-Gauche, Shuriken, Shestopyor, Falcata, Partisan, Spetum, Tomahawk, Shamshir, Tulwar, Kukri, Katana, Wakizashi, Scimitar, Flail, Ninja-To, Tonfa, Spear, Sabre, Longsword, Glaive, Falchion, Zweihänder, Tanto, Gladius, Francisca, Bardiche, Chokutō, Pilum, Tabar-Zin, Spatha, Estoc, Pike, Morningstar, Kastane, Ransuer, Kopesh, Nodachi, Chakram, Claymore, Naginata, Broadsword, Harpoon, Katzbalger, Longbow, Trident, Javelin, Halberd, Lance, Svärdstav, Battle Axe

Many of those are different names for weapons that are fundamentally very similar (good for different unit types that fill the same roles)

Trip-Fighter with Guisarme and enlarge person potions all day erry day.

EDIT: Also, I was struggling for a good sword name for the corsairs, since they're such a brawler compared to the earlier planes. I do like the distinction of edged vs blunt for air/ground vehicles though.

Trip-Fighter with Guisarme and enlarge person potions all day erry day.

My friend is running a Pathfinder game in which shit has gotten ridiculous. The party spellcaster cast Enlarge Person and Permanence on the paladin, who now runs around the battlefield with an 8-foot longsword, chopping dudes up.

I may have dabbled a little in AD&D; ah the old THAC0, took me forever to figure out how that work. Honestly the whole THAC0 system was needlessly overcomplicated in that regard. Also did renfaire for quite a few years, one of the people in the guild I was with had a bec-de-corbin. Personally I like 3.5; 4e is an abomination and shall never more be spoken of.

Also for the record, I did not make that list up on the spot, I used the same naming structure for different human ships in Sword of the Stars and keep a spreadsheet on hand for easy reference.

Some more names that would probably work better for bases than units, but hey, who am I to judge? You've also got you legendary weapons: Excalibur, Gungnir, Gae Bolg, Mjolnir, etc.

And this is quickly getting very far off topic! (Not that I would complain too much.)

Last campaign I had, one of the players broke the game by going "I'm gonna buy and free some aasimar slaves from the evil empire!" One was a 12 year old girl who, in my infinite wisdom, decided needed stats. STR 7, DEX 14, CON 6, INT 17, WIS 17, CHA 16, that is after the -1 I gave in all stats for still being a child, straight 3d6 down the board.... the player was a wizard.... who took her on as his apprentice. She became the most feared member of the party... seriously, she tried to identify artifact at one point, which backlashed a confusion (which I was like, ok DC 14, she's and 8th level wizard, she's got this... I rolled a 1, what the Hell?!) on her in the middle of an army camp. As soon as the cleric figured it out the first thing that went through their minds was not whether or not they would be able to stop her (she only have about 17 HP), but how many people where going to die before they did. Took the 5 man party (a warforged fighter, Human Warpriest, Human Monk, Half-elf ranger, and human rogue) 3 full combat rounds to grapple, pin, and tie her up so she couldn't do anything. Think about that for a second.... A robot, battlepriest, and martial artist had trouble stopping a twelve year old.

Edited by Dirk Ralthar

Haha, Sounds about right. I've been told that Pathfinder is essentially just a straight upgrade from 3.5e, but I haven't gotten my group to try it yet. My current group's been jumping between 3.5e, Call of Cthulhu, and Numenera for a while. Always nice to run into another tabletop fan. :D

Haha, Sounds about right. I've been told that Pathfinder is essentially just a straight upgrade from 3.5e, but I haven't gotten my group to try it yet. My current group's been jumping between 3.5e, Call of Cthulhu, and Numenera for a while. Always nice to run into another tabletop fan. :D

Pathfinder's a lot of fun. I don't really get a chance to play it much, though. Been playing mostly D20 Modern lately, with a sprinkling of 4E and Star Wars Saga Edition. A while back my group tried out the open beta for the next edition that WOTC is doing.

Well, I try to name my bases after a region-appropriate last name, with Air Force Base appended to the end, as all of my current bases maintain interceptors. For example: the two bases I currently maintain are Kowalski AFB in Russia, and Davidson AFB in Cuba. I'm planning to build a third base in Indochina soon, as I've had four alien bases there... I think that the aliens like it. Maybe the sunshine? Anyways, I don't normally rename my soldiers or vehicles. I like having their stories built throughout the game, and Foxtrot 1, Charlie 1, etc. works just fine for me.

I go by the Greek alphabet for my bases. Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, etc. I had no idea you could rename the interceptors and drop ships though! I'll give that a try the next time I do a game.

Also giant paladins are nothing compared to what I've got in a PF game that I am currently playing in. I've got a mutant, flying, electrical squid as a cohort. His name is Billy. He is the best cheerleader and loot gatherer we could ever ask for! He also is good for grappling the occasional foe into submission.

Also giant paladins are nothing compared to what I've got in a PF game that I am currently playing in. I've got a mutant, flying, electrical squid as a cohort. His name is Billy. He is the best cheerleader and loot gatherer we could ever ask for! He also is good for grappling the occasional foe into submission.

Amazing.