Condition: Black (Alien Weapons mod)

Max_Caine

Anyway, here's a question. Currently the alien grenade Xenopedia articles are "free" projects - they don't require research time or staff. Should they? The primary reason alien weapons require research time is because they're prequisites for other technologies, whereas these don't do anything - they're just fluff.

If they don't do anything, I'd make them free research projects as this fits with the overall design of Xenonaut's tech tree.

Alternatively, use them as pre-requisite technologies for Xenonauts' own gas/incendiary grenades :)

(I know you didn't want the player to be able to use them, but there's no reason they couldn't result in less effective player versions instead that are balanced for use against aliens.)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi gang, I've been very busy as of recent, but Henry has worked up some sketches for more grenade prototypes. I've been looking over them and I've got my own favourites, but I thought I might share the different designs with you.

Electrical caltrops

CalTraps01copy_zpsedc8b151.jpg

This grenade type is going to be the "permanent landmine" that I mentioned earlier. The caltrops are going to be small electrical field emitters with a tiny alenium generator. Each by themselves will not very potent. However, scatter a load of them over an area and bang! an electrical deathrap waiting anyone stupid enough to walk into it.

Sonic grenades

GrenadesSonic01copy_zps8b0c5159.jpg

This going to be for the Caesans. I've done quite a bit of research into sonic weapons (which ironically enough was most active in the late 60's early 70's). They're goign to produce a perfect mix of ultra and infrasonic sounds which combined cause nausea, double-vision, potential deafness and eventually blackout if subjected to enough.

Explosive kunai

kunai01copy_zps744ecfb5.jpg

Someone mentioned throwing knives which got my imagination racing. I've been experimenting with an accurate, one-shot multi-pellet explosive knife which I think would work quite well. It wouldn't strictly be a grenade type, rather a weapon subtype which preliminary testing indicates would be used once then the primary weapon would be used afterwards.

Hi gang, I've been very busy as of recent, but Henry has worked up some sketches for more grenade prototypes. I've been looking over them and I've got my own favourites, but I thought I might share the different designs with you.

Electrical caltrops

CalTraps01copy_zpsedc8b151.jpg

This grenade type is going to be the "permanent landmine" that I mentioned earlier. The caltrops are going to be small electrical field emitters with a tiny alenium generator. Each by themselves will not very potent. However, scatter a load of them over an area and bang! an electrical deathrap waiting anyone stupid enough to walk into it.

Sonic grenades

GrenadesSonic01copy_zps8b0c5159.jpg

This going to be for the Caesans. I've done quite a bit of research into sonic weapons (which ironically enough was most active in the late 60's early 70's). They're goign to produce a perfect mix of ultra and infrasonic sounds which combined cause nausea, double-vision, potential deafness and eventually blackout if subjected to enough.

Explosive kunai

kunai01copy_zps744ecfb5.jpg

Someone mentioned throwing knives which got my imagination racing. I've been experimenting with an accurate, one-shot multi-pellet explosive knife which I think would work quite well. It wouldn't strictly be a grenade type, rather a weapon subtype which preliminary testing indicates would be used once then the primary weapon would be used afterwards.

Max you'r an artist

The stats and some of the artwork for incendiary weapons are already there if you know where to look. If they were taken out (or as it seems never fully realised), I have to ask myself "why?". I'll have a fiddle at some point, but my first priority is making these race-specific weapons.

Oh my. I find your abundance of imagination disturbing.

Is it wrong that the only thing i can think of now is the "teenage crosdresser ninja sebillians"?

On a serious note, it would be good for an electrical caltrops to emit some humble cold light, though i couldn't find parameters controlling it in the weapons_gc.

Oh my. I find your abundance of imagination disturbing.

Is it wrong that the only thing i can think of now is the "teenage crosdresser ninja sebillians"?

It means our Xen troops are actually clan Foot ninjas?

Good idea for a reskin mod actually.

@Max_Caine These caltrops reminded me of some good shenanigans with proximity grenades in TFTD.

Emitting a cold light would be the domain of the spectre file - you'd have to set up the animation to run through a repeated glow. The question is, who gets the caltrops? Either Harridans or Wraiths will do, as it suits either species and the have a way of getting around it. I'm thinking maybe Harridans, as that would give more of a reason to have Buzzards.

Harridans seems to be better suited. They use high-techy stuff, can engineer things, are able to fly over their fields and can use it to secure sniping positions.

And lighting, i meant that thing that flares do. Increasing surround tile brightness or something.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm happy for others to integrate it into their mods when it's done, and not before, because I'm not keen on a half-done mod integrated into other people's work. Henry's almost done with the Xenopedia art, I've been working and re-working on explosion and smoke designs for the explosions and that's not when I'm blazing through experimental 9 to give some feedback on it to Chris and then in turn I can properly try out TD's XNT.

EDIT: Just to make things clear. The hardest and longest part of this mod are the art/sound assets. From a code perspective, it's incredibly easy to make the grenade types and test them. It's not one half as easy to make the art and sound assets.

Edited by Max_Caine

I'm happy for others to integrate it into their mods when it's done, and not before, because I'm not keen on a half-done mod integrated into other people's work. Henry's almost done with the Xenopedia art, I've been working and re-working on explosion and smoke designs for the explosions and that's not when I'm blazing through experimental 9 to give some feedback on it to Chris and then in turn I can properly try out TD's XNT.

EDIT: Just to make things clear. The hardest and longest part of this mod are the art/sound assets. From a code perspective, it's incredibly easy to make the grenade types and test them. It's not one half as easy to make the art and sound assets.

It is just good to hear that this project has not been abandoned. I really do want to see how this will turn out. You've done such fine work in the past. It will be nice to have some more of your stuff for the game.

Well here's the best of luck to you. I can only imagine your pain. I cannot even begin to think of how you'd do... What you just said.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't got any nibbles for you. I may have to hire someone to do the particle effects. This is so much harder than I thought.

EDIT: I'm pretty sick of trying to get some kind of an original particle effect. I'm going to wholesale steal the existing effects and mercilessly butcher them.