Weirdest moments

So, have you had any particulary weird experiences so far?

The weirdest thing that happened to me was during a very early mission. It was one of those very small scouts I had downed. I sent my team to intercept. Two turns later the mission abruptly ends without me having even spotted any of the aliens. Then I realize that there must have been only a single alien on the whole level and that it got shot by local forces.

I can only imagine the groaning inside the Charlie on the way back to the base. All those hours cramped inside it on the way to the crashsite and then the locals just handle it themselves.

I had one where the 2 members of the local forces killed 5 or 6, with two aliens hiding in the UFO. It was a scout, and my team was dropped at the farthest possible point from the UFO. The team was essentially sent from the Central US to Siberia to deal with a UFO that was shot down, and when they get there find out that two crazy Russians with 12 gauges had the situation well under control.

Give that man a medal!

I would if I could.

It was rather amusing to see a turbo duo of moroccan local forces not only survive the Andron onslaught but to actually kill one. I bet they got some tales to tell to their grandchildren someday. Presuming I don't screw up in the long run.

If your going to die anyway, the blaze of glory is a good way to go. Especially when the enemy is that formidable. And now a few words for the deceased.

"He knew what was at stake. He died valiantly defending the citizens his foe wanted to slaughter. We shall honor him in death as he lived his life, full of courage, and lacking in fear. Expendable soldier number four, we shall not forget you." - General

"Who was he again?" - Private

"He was that guy that threw himself on the grenade right?" - Corporal

"No that was number two, number four was hit by one of those Xenonaut asshole's stray machinegun fire." - Sergeant

"No that was three, I don't even know who this guy was." - Lieutenant

If your going to die anyway, the blaze of glory is a good way to go. Especially when the enemy is that formidable. And now a few words for the deceased.

"He knew what was at stake. He died valiantly defending the citizens his foe wanted to slaughter. We shall honor him in death as he lived his life, full of courage, and lacking in fear. Expendable soldier number four, we shall not forget you." - General

"Who was he again?" - Private

"He was that guy that threw himself on the grenade right?" - Corporal

"No that was number two, number four was hit by one of those Xenonaut asshole's stray machinegun fire." - Sergeant

"No that was three, I don't even know who this guy was." - Lieutenant

"Command! I require more meat for the grinder! And make sure they aren't all cowards this time!"

-Commissar Pancakes

I really like the local forces, it is definitely a nice touch and adds to the living fell of the game, I will often stand one of my men with a Shield between the local forces and an alien (as long as they are not in grenade range) as many times the local forces have returned the favor and acted as a bullet/grenade sponge or even helped me clear a UFO.

• 2 weeks later...
I always thought that Military training in Russia went something along the lines of "here is a hand full of bullets, now go find your own gun" the ones that survive tend to be very good.

Your thinking of WW1 where a great deal of them DID fight with pointy sticks and just took someone elses gun when they died :D