V22 Experimental 5 Released! (Rolled Back)

Firstly, if you do not know how to access the experimental branch on Steam, please read the instructions (and warnings!) in this thread. This update may work with saved games from previous V22 experimental versions, but will not recognise saved games from before that. If you experience issues when loading a saved game from previous versions, please mention that if making a bug report!

This release has the usual spread of bug fixes, general improvements and balance adjustments; however the main purpose of this experimental build is to test a form of sprite compression we are now using where all individual sprites from each tileset are gathered into large "atlas" images and which should drastically reduce loading times. This is quite a big change, so though we have tested it locally we do expect to see some teething problems. The following tilesets are now using texture atlases: arctic, desert, farm, industrial, middleeast, soviettown, town

Here's the changes:

Fixes:

- Fixed Nissen Hut roof tiles not displaying

- Made top of Shrike impassable but not blocking LOS

- Fixed issues with some Desert/Farm/Storeroom buildings not correctly displaying their props

- Tooltips appear slightly faster

- Bug fixed: when throwing a grenade with a crouched unit, the grenade wasn't thrown but the TUs were decreased

- Now the alien LOS is reset at the start of both the human and the alien turns (prevents aliens "seeing" areas they were in last turn)

- Fixed TU's displaying wrong values when they had an increase in ground combat

- Fixed terror missions causing crash if city name was translated in strings.xml

- Building frame now is showed over every base tile, rather than just on top-left of existing buildings

- Fixed trees being missing on industrial and soviet town maps

Additions:

- Implemented new "texture atlas" system for tiles

-- This takes the individual sprites for tilesets and bakes them into larger image files

-- This should lead to dramatically faster loading speeds

- Implemented crushable corn fields in several farm maps

- "Xenonauts Lost" on debrief screen changed to "Xenonaut Casualties" (because they may still survive)

Balance:

- Autoresolve strength now is modified by airplane's health, ammo percentage and fuel level (if <15%)

- Changed values in AI for smoke; slight aversion instead of attraction

- All stats now cap out at 100 instead of 99

- TU gain has been slowed down a bit; you now need to spend 250 TU to get a TU increase on a soldier (up from 150)

- Removed the 25% stopping chance penalty for crouched units

- Jackal armour weight reduced from 16kg to 10kg

If you encounter any bugs please post them in the bugs forum, and make sure you mark them as being from the experimental build!

Balance comments can be made in the following threads:

Ground Combat: http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/9548-Ground-Combat-Balance-V22-Experimental-2

Geoscape: http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/9547-Geoscape-Balance-V22-Experimental-2

PSI is OP. Just had the first round of the Ceasan battleship that froze before every time. I got like 7 PSI attacks and 3 of my guys where taken over. And that's on easy difficulty.

I really hope there comes something to counter PSI because it's so annoying right now. Bravery barley levels up. I had a alien base later to day 4 guys where taken over and none of them leveled up in bravery.

It's sometimes hard to tell when you try to click behind a tree ore something.

Edited by Doomsdayman

So i encountered the terror mission and got to there and after loading and units focus allowed all map was black! All tiles works units moves is possible alien attacks work but without any textures seems your optimisation bumpted into some troubles. Previous version was 22. Fix as soon as possible, because it thing kill my NATIONS founding due to impossible of success of terror mission))

i believe Mind Control was and still is Squad-Sight and not LoS. As long as your unit is within its affective range and a ally alien sees you, you can be mindcontrolled.

Yeap, and i was pleased when read that its required LOS rather SS. Now aliens are very powerfull with their 'network' sight and this ability on hands)) i remembed that in original X-Com psi-alien could take me under minde contorl without any ally squad sight of vision.. was terrible. BUT! X-COM psi formula was very balanced and my psi-bravery men was minde stable for this ability ohterwise this game formula.

Or take me please the realy stuff to resist and reduce this ability because increasing bravery is just spend a time without profit.

Edited by buzzyguy

So i encountered the terror mission and got to there and after loading and units focus allowed all map was black! All tiles works units moves is possible alien attacks work but without any textures seems your optimisation bumpted into some troubles. Previous version was 22. Fix as soon as possible, because it thing kill my NATIONS founding due to impossible of success of terror mission))

I have exactly the same, terror missions are 100% no go.

Won't that hinder slow people ? Maybe it can be a progressive increase?

I concur with this sentiment of basing TUs upon a static value. Why not make it either 4x or 5x what the soldier's base TU value is to get the next TU. So, at 50 Time Units, it takes either 200 or 250 TUs spent. This would mean spending all of your TUs for a soldier every turn would have the same rate of growth, rather than the growth speed going faster as a soldier gains more TUs.

I concur with this sentiment of basing TUs upon a static value. Why not make it either 4x or 5x what the soldier's base TU value is to get the next TU. So, at 50 Time Units, it takes either 200 or 250 TUs spent. This would mean spending all of your TUs for a soldier every turn would have the same rate of growth, rather than the growth speed going faster as a soldier gains more TUs.

I like this idea. Otherwise its going to be a sort of "exponential" thing where fast soldiers get faster quicker and slow soldiers struggle.

The other idea is to come up with some kind of curve where higher TUs take longer than lower. Either way, a flat static value that doesn't take into account a soldier's base TUs is going to make slow soldiers struggle. The other nice thing about basing it off of their base TUs, is those that "overweigh" their soldiers too heavily will be slowing down their soldier's TU growth.

The grenades issue was driving me nuts! Thanks!

There is a slight issue with reloading after missions.

I get soldiers with the same amount of bullets (or charges) after missions.

I'd expect soldiers in base (or even when they are back on the plain) to reload their weapons.

Am I the only one to experience this? Or is this on purpose?

The grenades issue was driving me nuts! Thanks!

There is a slight issue with reloading after missions.

I get soldiers with the same amount of bullets (or charges) after missions.

I'd expect soldiers in base (or even when they are back on the plain) to reload their weapons.

Am I the only one to experience this? Or is this on purpose?

I think this is/was a known issue. I wonder if it got broken or it was never fixed.