I hate corners!

I find the rage against corners from someone called Walls amusing :)

That is an engine problem I would guess from looking at the screenshot.

That hedgerow has 100% stopping chance so every part of the tile they cover has to have 100% stopping chance.

Even the very corners that look like they are low enough to fire over are treated in exactly the same way because the game engine cannot see the picture you are basing that judgement on.

It just knows the tile at x43 y21 stops 100% of shots so therefore trying to fire through it will fail 100% of the time.

I find the rage against corners from someone called Walls amusing :)

Lol. Without Walls there would be no corners!

I kind of figured that's what it was - which is why I'm also doubtful it will get remedied. I wish there was a grid you could turn on and off to see exactly where corners/objects lined up. I don't know what exactly could fix it, but it's frustrating to lose guys because of flaws in the graphics/engine.

However, like Legit said - sometimes the enemy can shoot through it and you can't. So what causes that?

I think the door thing may be an engine/cover issue.

What the game is seeing there is the seb is in cover as it is adjacent to the blocking object, its the code that allows you to fire over obstacles that causes that problem.

I guess it stands to reason as the game is simulating the seb leaning out from the corner to shoot and pressing himself against the wall to say hidden from the solider.

The answer to this is grenades.

Fundamentally, the problem seems that (if I observing the functionality correctly) the game breaks each square into 9 sub-squares for the purposes of determining lines-of-sight and then ignores the aim penalty due to the first three (but not the chance to hit a non-crouched teammate, it seems).

The "solution" is to allow an object to have all sub-squares set separately, so that rounded corners could have the 3 or 6 sub-squares on the outer corner marked as 0% cover with the balance at 100%. Though I assume it is too late in the development process to implement such a fix.

In a pinch, the devs might be able to adjust it so that aiming attempts to path from the center of your square to each of the 9 sub-squares on the target's square and create some kind of average.

Too late I think.
This corner thing should be pretty easy to fix. In code you simply check the LOF (or simulate a shot) from alien to Xenonaut and from Xenonaut to alien. If the LOF is blocked for either party you block it for both. True there are twice the calcs, but it does solve the problem at least as far as "fairness" goes. Edited by StellarRat

This corner thing should be pretty easy to fix. In code you simply check the LOF (or simulate a shot) from alien to Xenonaut and from Xenonaut to alien. If the LOF is blocked for either party you block it for both. True there are twice the calcs, but it does solve the problem at least as far as "fairness" goes.

I was referring to the strange unnatural blocking caused by blocking tiles whose sprites are smaller visually. Seems unlikely that it can be fixed easily.

As for corner fairness, I only noticed it while reading and posting on this thread, we just apparently accept it as a rule while playing and don't notice. I'll keep on the lookout for 'unfair' situations. I see now that the situation in my image is actually 'fair', where the alien is 'covered' by the corner by standing 1 tile from it and my soldier is two tiles away so he is blocked. %100 appears unnatural but still it seems fair enginewise. Or maybe not for other situations I can't say.

I wonder if LoF is calculated the same way for alien and XenoN.

The problem I have is that you look to see if you can make a shot before you move. Visually it looks possible, but then you move there and can't because of the odd LOF issues. So what you end up having to do is memorize the eccentricities of the aiming system for various obstacles. This essentially lowers the intuitiveness of the combat system because what I'm looking at on screen isn't an accurate depiction of the level/map.

Actually I can understand your issue with this now.

Playing last night I was getting the green line for a clear shot quite often and when it came time to fire it was hitting the bushes on the farm tile set or the terrain 2 squares in front.

Meaning a little too much having to save scum for unreasonable shot failures.

It is not so bad in the early game with ballistics but as you start to use more powerful explosives it becomes a disaster for no fault of the player.

This I think is one of the highest priority gameplay issues still in the game to get fixed.

Basically, from where I am currently standing, it is the one "issue" most likely to tank review scores. Once you get familiar with it, you can work around it, but for a reviewer dropping only 3-4 hours on the title, this is going to heavily color their opinion.

Agree with Burzmali and Skitso. I didn't even really notice this until seeing this thread, it all became second nature adapting to it, and since its not a crash issue I, like probably so many others, just absent mindedly lived with it.

But a few of the images in this thread are better be not possible to produce, or they inevitably will be in review comments. From what I understand it's an engine issue which is not easily fixable.