Unpacked Game Tiles - Required for Mapping!

Chris

The release version of the game has all the tiles locked away inside archive files in order to reduce the file count of the game down to something more reasonable (there's 80,000 tiles in all).

There are programs available that will let you open those files to get at the tiles inside, but it's far easier if we just provide a zip archive containing all of the tiles. This is hosted on our site and can be found here: http://www.xenonauts.com/devfiles/unpacked_tiles.zip

Just unzip the tiles into the /assets/tiles/ directory of your game and you're all set to start mapping!

• 4 weeks later...

I've been using the above download for mapping purposes, but I've just noticed that there's some tilesets (e.g. Town and Alien Base) for which there don't seem to be any images or spectres included in the relevant folders. All the folders are there, but they're empty.

Ah, wasn't aware of that.

Mostly that's not actually a problem, since you only need the spectres to be able to use them in the map editors. So it only matters if you want to reuse assets in different tilesets (and I guess you could extract images manually from the atlases to deal with that).

This isn't to say that a full download wouldn't be useful, though.

• 7 months later...

So.... I must have done something wrong.... o.O

level viewer.jpg

I thought it wasn't working at all because when I used the level viewer on a map I was building it was totally blank. Then I tried loading a standard map from the game in the same tileset I was working on and noticed that some things WERE showing up. Then I picked this map at random for the screenshot.

I was making a desert map and had set down the 10x10 concrete ground items. None of those showed up. I loaded a different desert map. The sand didn't show up. I loaded this industrial map. I don't even know what isn't showing up on this one.

Any idea where I went wrong?

level viewer.jpg

577e7d34dd158_levelviewer.jpg.5024a038a6

Possibly a stupid question given the thread but: did you download and install the mapping tiles?

Assuming you did, I don't know. It's most likely going to be an installation error (i.e. you've extracted the files to the wrong place) I think, but it's hard to tell without knowing what exactly you've done.