V22 Experimental 4 Released!

Grenades were just fine for me in the last version but are now causing crashes, I am getting no animation when throwing while crouched, no visible smoke but the effect of blocking shots still appears, total loss of the target cursor and then a consistent CTD if i try to load that save.

Think there may be an issue with grenades when crouching.

Save here: http://www.filedropper.com/2_14

edit - Just to follow up on this, if you make the solider stand before throwing then everything works fine.

Edited by Hairyscreech

Found an issue with the current build; I had an Andron simply freeze up on me and do nothing. Most of the enemies in the mission were behaving normally, but this one Andron was stuck in place and just refused to do anything at all. It had a clear line-of-sight to two of my soldiers and could have attempted to move to flank, but instead it just stood there in the open doing nothing. On the alien's turn the camera would keep switching to the Andron several times, as if he was thinking about doing something but couldn't quite decide what to do and just gave up.

Will have to see if this is an issue just with Androns or all aliens, possibly this has something to do with the "passive" AI change.

It could be so that he spawned on some impassable tile. We got that a few times for the latest build. Maybe it was a small obstacle blocked by the alien, or an erroneous tile.

I've had a Caesan spawn on water before, but he was still able to fire at me at least. This is the opposite; he was right out in the open in the middle of a road with nothing obviously blocking him, yet he didn't fire at me at all except for reaction fire.

Just a question and suggestion for developers:

Is the game being tested by some independent people who are not fans of the original series like most of the denizens of this forum are?

Because that's what will start happening after release by reviewers who may really start hacking brutally at some (seemingly) small issues we don't even recognize or handwave because of the fun we get we have been playing this game even with its experimental-beta bugs and crashes. I personally only notice some issues after they're pointed out in a bug thread, that I just lived with until then.

Remember, we paid for an unfinished and buggy game, we are too positively biased, so our testing exposure value is probably rather low. Independent and non-biased testing might really help.

Thought I'd point out as I didn't notice such a subject coming up on the forum, and i really wish success for this title.

Caaygun - no, but there's not much we can do about it. But these forums have had a hundred thousand posts on them in the last two years, most of them feedback, suggestions or bug reports, so I think we'll at least have been warned about the major issues in advance.

Doomsday - that's intentional. They can't shoot as accurately as a precision rifle.

So basically when your guy has 100 accuracy the sniper rifle becomes useless.

So now it's bassicly

Rifle vs Sniper

- Rifle bigger magazine.

- Same distance.

- Lighter.

- Rifle almost does the exact same damage as sniper.

Ore it could be the MAG weapons.

Also near the end save near the end save. Enemy turn won't end on Andron Supply ships.

Also why are there base mission where 1/4 of the aliens have plasma cannons.

And my game freezes on the aliens turn when facing a Ceasan battleship.

Is there anything to counter those PSI attacks they are getting too annoying.

Also shield guys aren't animated when flying.

Edited by Doomsdayman

No, sniper rifles have higher damage

<Ammo name="ammo.ballistic.rifle" type="kinetic" damage="30" mitigation="0">

<Ammo name="ammo.ballistic.sniper" type="kinetic" damage="35" mitigation="10" isHypervelocity="0">

<Ammo name="ammo.MAG.MAGclip" type="kinetic" damage="105" mitigation="0">

<Ammo name="ammo.MAG.MAGclip" type="kinetic" damage="120" mitigation="35" isHypervelocity="0">

Though it is very close damage in basic weapons - Sniper Rifles have higher damage + mitigation which makes some part of armour weaker. For example MAG Sniper will deal on average 120 damage to Jackal armor since the Jackal Armour value is 35 so it will be like if soldier wasn't wearing Armour.

Doomsdayman, not really. If a solider claws his way up to 100 accuracy, then the base to-hit for a precision rifle verses an assault rifle is

• Snap. Precision: 65%, Assault: 45%
  • Normal. Precision: 100%, Assault: 80%
  • Aim. Precision: 100%, Assault: 100%.

. In both cases, with full TUs a solider can fire 3 snap, 2 normal, 1 aimed or 1 normal and 1 snap. In addition, the assault rifle can fire 1 aimed and 1 normal, or 1 normal and 2 snap.

So basically when your guy has 100 accuracy the sniper rifle becomes useless.

So now it's bassicly

Rifle vs Sniper

- Rifle bigger magazine.

- Same distance.

- Lighter.

- Rifle almost does the exact same damage as sniper.

You're missing armour penetration (which the sniper weapons have a lot of) although that's largely only relevant for Androns. Sniper weapons also don't have damage drop-off beyond maximum effective range (if I've understood the "no damage scaling" variable correctly, of course!).

It's also worth bearing in mind that 100 aim is only 'wasted' at the higher aim levels. A 100 aim soldier will still hit better with snap/normal shots using a sniper weapon than a rifle weapon.

This said, I'd not be unhappy for rifle weapons to get a range nerf compared with sniper weapons. Both weapons overlap a little on the long-range niche at the moment.

EDIT: many ninjas.

My first post though i have been through the game a couple of times.

I'd like to post the following bugs with version 22...please excuse if they have been mentioned already.

-Singularity Torpedo has no singularity core cost when building

-Sheild bearing, sentinal suit wearing, flying troops face one direction regardles of thier movement.

- No GFX to show weapon when a Predator suit wearing troop equips an alien Plasma Cannon.

- Not getting Alenium loot report for completing alien base attack by command centre capture.

- Lock-up loop when a heavy weapon weilding troop does reaction fire, even if they have no weapon or ammo.

-Civilian NPCs still entering Battleship craft via teleporters.

Also about Psychic Attacks... well they just seem far too often and effective without LoS. My workaround was to place the troops weapon in backpack after firing every turn which is tedious. Now i won't do bases or battleships because there are no psychic defence items, and you can never stop the mind controlling until you reach the last room.

I have actually raised an whole new 8 man team picked only with Bravery 62+ starting stats to see if by Commander rank they may have enough Bravery to withstand the mind controlling. It's a bit harsh at the moment.

I really wish we could get a version that isn't sooooo buggy. I haven't been able to complete a mission in days. Odd things here and there are fine, but the game just keeps freezing and locking up so much it's hard to make any progress to even be able to comment on any balance issue.

I haven't been able to complete a mission in days.

Really? I encountered one bug that messed with my game, seemingly triggered by the now-well-known crouching-grenade-throw, but other than that I've had no problems. Completing missions like clockwork. There has to be some logical explanation why you're having such a hard time. Have you played around with the files? Downloaded mods? Using a save from an earlier version? There must be some reason why that's happening to you, and not me...

Just playing the game as is. I ran into a bug that caused it to freeze on a mission with a landing craft. I tried a few different times and it always froze. I can't progress in the game unless I take the landing craft, so I've been airstriking everything else. Well guess what, now I'm stuck on the landing craft again! Until I capture the landing craft and research the tech from it there's not much point in playing.

I'm almost to landing ships (prob the next wave) so I haven't had a chance to run across that. Sure hope I don't. Did you post a report of the bug for the devs?

Edit: I just saw the other thread where you and another guy were having the same landing ship problem. Great.

Edited by dpelectric