V22 Experimental 4 Released!

The instructions for accessing Experimental builds can be found in this thread. Please also read the warnings in that thread!

You've got me for the build release today, just like old times! This build contains some new features and a bunch of new fixes, but theoretically does not break saves from the previous build (not tested that extensively).

CHANGELOG:

Additions:

- Tooltips updated for all weapons to reflect new weapon stats and roles

- Combat shields now take overdamage, so any excess damage once a shield is destroyed is applied to the soldier that was holding it

- Final mission artwork now complete

- Cleaned up the tiles directory and copied all “shared” props into the correct directories, ready for the super turbo-speed loading time boost (due in a couple of days)

Bugfixes:

- Fixed a crash tied to reaction fire

- The ground has been enlarged so combat shields can now be dropped

- Line of sight issue within UFOs has been fixed which allowed players to see through walls / floors when they first opened the main door of the UFO.

- Fixed the roof sprites on various buildings so they should now correctly hide the interiors without hiding the roof

- AI units set to Passive scripts should be less aggressive, reducing the “alien zerg rush” tactics from the previous few builds

- AI units in the Command room should no longer be completely stationary in all circumstances

General Fixes:

- Enlarged UFO clickboxes on Geoscape

- Singularity Cannon inventory image no longer stretched / warped

- Armour selection dropdown now scales with screen height.

- Xenopedia updates for accuracy

- Removed "purchase cost" line from Xenopedia aircraft entries

- Insane description no longer states compulsory Iron Man

- Arctic nissen hut doors fixed to be passable when open / damaged

- Updated background colour of vehicle tiles on Vehicle Equip screen

- Updated vehicle screen arrows

- Assault Rifles default to single shot rather than burst fire mode

Balance:

- Lowered suppression on Light Drones from 100 to 60, upped damage to 15 damage and lowered mitigation to 15 (from 70)

- Non-target units now have a flat 25% Stopping Chance, rather than the strange scaling value before. This means you will no longer end up with a net penalty for increasing accuracy in some situations.

Nice to see the assult rifle and AI updates, those were a couple of my own pet hates.

- Cleaned up the tiles directory and copied all “shared” props into the correct directories, ready for the super turbo-speed loading time boost (due in a couple of days)

Made me chuckle a little that the super turbo-speed boost hasn't quite got here yet, must be running a little slow.

Just me?

OK then...

theoretically does not break saves from the previous build (not tested that extensively)

Just loaded the last GC save from the last build following the good news, guess what? the Chinook is nowhere to be found on the map! Where it once landed was completely walkable by my guys.

Will just restart, as it seems that the new build might cause other such 'side-effect bugs' on saves made in last build, that will make it difficult to identify them being caused by the latest build when reporting.

Edit: Here's how the Autosave from the mission start looks: Hilarious!

Screen28.jpg

Screen28.jpg

Screen28.jpg.e683cd1bcea922e9da8292e2778

Edited by Caaygun

It may only be for that particular GC mission though. Who knows? But yes, if you're going to be diligently reporting bugs then it's best to start over again.

Maybe we'll look at providing some saves from a bit deeper into the game for people to play.

As Chris said - it loaded correctly in next GC.

Maybe we'll look at providing some saves from a bit deeper into the game for people to play.

Would be nice - if next build will destroy saves it would be hard again to start all over. I think most of us can reach laser tech easily and up to Corsairs at least. So a save from plasma era and some Maruaders would be nice.

Yea, if you want more testing of later game, we'll play your or another players saves. Release is getting close and there were still remaining crash issues last build mostly from early game testing alone. I can only go up to plasmas and leaders between builds.

Actually some later game saves would be really good from both a bug testing and a balance testing pov.

In terms of balance it would be good as at the moment we don't really know just how advanced we are supposed to be when various aliens start showing up.

If we have a plasma era "ideal" save then we can exclude the variability of playing style and tech advancement from the GC balance.

Personally i have never managed to get past plasma between builds due to work and other things so plasma era sounds good to me.

Ran into a bug a couple times with this new release. Grenades that were thrown from the quick grenade slot sometimes aren't thrown, but the TUs are still consumed. Both times so far it's happened in the doorway of a Light Scout, once with a flashbang and once with an Alenium grenade. I've had flashbangs work fine in the doorway of a LS before, so it doesn't happen all the time, at I haven't tried throwing a grenade that's in a soldier's hand.

I'm having the problem that the Alien turns take now much longer when assaulting bigger ships like carriers. The duration is increased about 3 times and I have to wait about 3-6 min. It seems to be at worst against Ceasan.

Might just be a personal problem but I guess I inform you anyway :)

Ran into a bug a couple times with this new release. Grenades that were thrown from the quick grenade slot sometimes aren't thrown, but the TUs are still consumed. Both times so far it's happened in the doorway of a Light Scout, once with a flashbang and once with an Alenium grenade. I've had flashbangs work fine in the doorway of a LS before, so it doesn't happen all the time, at I haven't tried throwing a grenade that's in a soldier's hand.

I've reported grenade bug - it's only when you're crouching, at least for me.

Let me bring a quote and an example

- AI units set to Passive scripts should be less aggressive, reducing the “alien zerg rush” tactics from the previous few builds

This says there should be less zerg rush. So yeah it's bad - why? Read on.

Upon entering the Landingship for example, all the aliens from upper floor move down and their passive AI makes 5 out of 7 do nothing except take position and rely only on reaction fire. Which is bad.

I'm guessing that it should be like 3-4 aliens should move down the floor and exchange fire, while others hunker down on the upper floor.

Let me bring a quote and an example

This says there should be less zerg rush. So yeah it's bad - why? Read on.

Upon entering the Landingship for example, all the aliens from upper floor move down and their passive AI makes 5 out of 7 do nothing except take position and rely only on reaction fire. Which is bad.

I'm guessing that it should be like 3-4 aliens should move down the floor and exchange fire, while others hunker down on the upper floor.

That can be easy moddable adding "shoot" precondition to the xml code line in behavior.

I miss read that part silencer, my fault.