alien control means certain death too often

I find that when I have a guy in a squad and he gets controlled by aliens it goes like this:

1. set up squad to wait for aliens to come around a corner

2. one dude gets alien controlled

3. he shoots at a squaddie

4. several squaddies shoot back, killing him

Basically there's a 50% chance that alien-controlled dude won't make it to the end of the turn.

How would a soldier tell the difference between someone alien controlled and someone who's just berserking? Why would people instantly start firing on their friends once the realize they are alien-controlled?

As a commander I should be able to give an order that alien-controlled soldiers can only be dispatched with non-lethal means.

The whole thing strains suspension of disbelief too much.

The only way to successful counter any psy-attacks is by putting my weapons on the ground, all of them and in any singel turn.

The first task in the following round is always to pick my weapon up again, do my actions and put it on the ground again. The good thing is that a weaponless unit can't go beserk and still has full TU. It's annoying but not nearly as annoying as when I lose half my team to friendly fire whenever I fight against enemies with such powers.

As the alien has interlinked its nervous system with the mind controlled soldier, wouldn't it get stunned as well?

Honestly I see that as a one way street, the aliens that can take direct control have most likely been doing it for a long time, and would have in all likelihood (if for no other reason than to build a resistance to it) have killed/maimed/stunned the beings under their control to the point where they either know the exact moment to relinquish control to not have it backlash, or have developed the mental barriers required to prevent said psychic backlash. The first would seem more sadistic, as it leaves the victim recovering control just in time to watch whatever is about to kill him.

Dropping weapons takes no TU, picking it up again only 12. That are 4 less than when I put it from my backpack. And it also takes not all that much time to execute if you're using the hotkeys.

Still kind of annoying but when a guy with a Carabine unloads 3 rounds into a teammate for 3-4 turns in row do you understand that it is worth the effort.

I haven't gotten far enough to encounter mind control, do the aliens target individuals with low bravery or something? In X-Com I always prized soldiers with super low Psionic defence. I would always bring them on missions where there would be psionic aliens and give them nothing. They would always get mind controlled and do nothing while my assault teams moved on. ;)

Saw that in an LP someone did for the first X-COM. Not sure if it was deliberate but there was one guy part way through that panicked and threw down his weapon, then got Mind Controlled for 9 straight turns and had wandered aimlessly around the outside of the UFO. Afterwards when he opened the guy's stats page he had a 0 psi-resist. The next mission he sent the guy with an empty Heavy Plasma. (He was telling a story based on the events that happened in game and was modding the people posting in the associated thread into the different troopers, so it is possible he edited the trooper after the fact to set his psi-resist to 0, but I doubt that was planned before that mission).