Cheesers Anonymous

"Hi everybody, my name is Jethro. I'm a cheeser". [standing at the podium, nervous but determined]

"Hi Jethro!". [The small audience nods and murmurs understandingly]

"I never meant to become a cheeser, but I had a troubled childhood, my wife ran off with the milkman, and I got laid off at the docks. Xenonauts was the only place that would give me a second chance".

"Amen brother". [More nods and sympathetic murmurs]

"So, I started hunting aliens. For any of you out there that have never hunted aliens before, let me tell you, it's a dangerous job. Watching reapers eat your friend's faces sure ain't no picnic. And a lot of the other guys were using stun grenades, too. It's not like I was the only one." [Holds his palms out in a supplicating gesture]

"Gassing was just so easy, and a lot better than being a shock jock. I seen what shockin' could do to those boys. Runnin' right up to those aliens with nothing but a stick in your hands. Have nightmares for weeks! Hell of a lot easier to just stand back and chuck some gassers 'til they keeled over. Sure, I knew I was supposed to be using my baton, but...but I just couldn't help myself...and before I knew it, there I was, a cheeser" [Hangs his head]

"That's ok brother! We been there too! Tell it like it is!"

[Looks up again, encouraged] "But now, now I've seen the light. My gassing days are over. Pastor Chris has shown me the evil of my ways, and with his guidance I will never reach for one o' those purple cannisters again. From this day forward, it's a shock baton on all alien officers and leaders for me!"

[The audience erupts in applause, and Jethro puffs his chest out proudly. Slow fade to the Xenonauts logo]

I'll take the opportunity, while a Dev is following the thread, to restate my desire that the aliens especially in the command room need more than gas resistance. Namely they need the capability to move around, not unintelligently, but preferably to take better positions and cover.

Also, aliens in general need the capability to open doors when the other side is blocked by xenonauts, so as to prevent the exploit that came to be colloqually named 'Door Spamming'.

Thanks for reading, and hopefully considering...

The leaders in the bridge/command room not being susceptible to grenades shouldn't bother me too much, I don't really bother with the gas grenades and focus with stun batons early game, and later game I just add a single electropulse grenade to each trooper. My only complaint on the stun topic would be that the weapon melee strike should stun a target not kill it, allowing you to capture a live alien before stun weapons (and possibly alien bio) are researched. Getting hit in the head with the stock of a rifle or shotgun shouldn't straight up kill you unless it was a lucky (or unlucky depending on point of view) hit. Would give you one hell of a headache and a probably concussion though.

Personally I never used gas much anyway, I would just spam electroshock grenades. Opinion seems to be mixed on them, but I love electroshock nades. I see them as a sort of "all-purpose" grenade. They stun, they suppress, they damage robotic enemies, but don't do either as well as a dedicated flashbang or gas grenade. But I don't care. It means in a pinch, anyone can chip in with the stunning/suppressing without me having to worry about which soldiers have flashbangs and which have gas.

The only problem I have with this strategy is Sebillians, who are incredibly stun/suppress resistant at the best of times.

The leaders in the bridge/command room not being susceptible to grenades shouldn't bother me too much, I don't really bother with the gas grenades and focus with stun batons early game, and later game I just add a single electropulse grenade to each trooper. My only complaint on the stun topic would be that the weapon melee strike should stun a target not kill it, allowing you to capture a live alien before stun weapons (and possibly alien bio) are researched. Getting hit in the head with the stock of a rifle or shotgun shouldn't straight up kill you unless it was a lucky (or unlucky depending on point of view) hit. Would give you one hell of a headache and a probably concussion though.
Really? You haven't heard of a bayonet?

I've heard of a bayonet (and I did specify the stock of the weapon), however based on the weapon descriptions and the images used in game, there is no indication that a bayonet is attached/used. The bayonet would explain the Assault Rifle, and you could argue the shotgun, and maybe the Sniper rifle depending on the model being used. The only dedicated machine gun that I know of that had a bayonet mount was the Type 99 used by the Imperial Japanese Army during WWII. And I've never heard of a pistol that has a bayonet mount. Now it is possible that I just haven't heard about it, but the 9mm Berretta that is shown in game does not have one.

Same reason I would send some private up to stab the alien with a knife. It's a right of passage, succeed and you have entered the ranks of the badass. And because nothing is as insulting to the high tech alien race that has mastered FTL travel, advanced metallurgy, plasma weaponry, than being killed by a 9 inch piece of metal, except maybe getting killed by a sharp stick...

fun and balance > realism.

also why would you make some poor pvt run up and try to smack an alien with his gun... Thats what the baton is for :)

Considering how inaccurate inexperienced Xenonauts tend to be it may be a more reliable way to take the aliens down. I never tried it myself so I have no idea what kind of damage meleeing it with a gun even does. I like taking down Ceasan with the stun batons if they are in melee range. It's reliable and I feel very satisfied when I take down the aliens with essentialy riot police gear. The mental image of Xenonauts with their UN sky blue coveralls, riot shields and stun batons giving some helpless flashbang-dazed Caesan redshirts a throughout beating is rather amusing.

I've heard of a bayonet (and I did specify the stock of the weapon), however based on the weapon descriptions and the images used in game, there is no indication that a bayonet is attached/used. The bayonet would explain the Assault Rifle, and you could argue the shotgun, and maybe the Sniper rifle depending on the model being used. The only dedicated machine gun that I know of that had a bayonet mount was the Type 99 used by the Imperial Japanese Army during WWII. And I've never heard of a pistol that has a bayonet mount. Now it is possible that I just haven't heard about it, but the 9mm Berretta that is shown in game does not have one.
My overall point is that I'm sure the Xenonauts have lethal weapons on them besides and including those that can be attached to their main weapons. Usually hand to hand combat is meant to be fatal. I doubt you're going to do much damage to an eight foot lizard by trying to hit it on the head with your rifle stock nor would you even attempt it. I don't know any "real life" soldier or policemen that doesn't carry more than one deadly weapon when they're expecting a fight.