Reaction fire during your turn

I know that in OG UFO reaction fire was everywhere but I think it shouldn't happenen when you shoot in first turn. For example - new mission, all team in "dropship". Alien spotted stright away without moving out from craft - I made a shoot and alien responded with auto shot. 2 mens died :/

Edited by Amiga4ever

That situation was a dreaded sight in OG ;) When it comes to reaction fire I think that OG had better solution. Here after X turn while my soldier moved 1 square and alien had only enough TU's to snap shot, he made his reaction shot despite my soldier having 90% of TU.

In OG it was like IF my Reaction > your current TU, then I can shoot. Here I think it is dice roll

That situation was a dreaded sight in OG ;) When it comes to reaction fire I think that OG had better solution. Here after X turn while my soldier moved 1 square and alien had only enough TU's to snap shot, he made his reaction shot despite my soldier having 90% of TU.

In OG it was like IF my Reaction > your current TU, then I can shoot. Here I think it is dice roll

It used to be a die roll, but it was changed a few builds back to work as in the original game. The problem is that if you have an opponent with full TUs, odds are they will get to take a shot on you without you doing very much at all.

It used to be a die roll, but it was changed a few builds back to work as in the original game. The problem is that if you have an opponent with full TUs, odds are they will get to take a shot on you without you doing very much at all.

that's where lovely smoke grenades come in even if they get shots off they have to aim past a full grenade of smoke to hit any thing

It was the same in the original game. So many times I'd spot an alien in hidden movement which would park itself just outside of vision. I'd take 1 step forward with my soldier in my turn, spot it and think "Got you! Time to crouch for that extra aim and to make myself a smaller target if it shoots back"

*Click*

- Instant reaction fire to the face and a soldier dying in agony.

Haven't unlocked the later landing craft, but at least the Chinook has three exits, so you shouldn't be "pinned" inside your craft unless you pretty much decide to. Be glad it's not the OG and its bottleneck dropships that basically meant you were doomed if you had three Cyberdisks outside of your one exit ; .

Today in Terror Mission with Androns I had like situations where Androns left enough TUs for either snap or normal shot and when my 99 TU soldier poked his head - so he used 3 TUs - instant reaction fire... yeah sure... so do they have like 150 reflex or what.

Be glad it's not the OG and its bottleneck dropships that basically meant you were doomed if you had three Cyberdisks outside of your one exit ; .

That brings back fond memories. I remember landing on a night mission and having the people in front take a step or two out, throw electro-flares, and dive back to "safety". Alien turn, and I hear the distinctive whine of an incoming blaster missile....

I don't believe that aliens will actually reaction fire at all if you can make their accuracy too low by using smoke.

That does mean they might still take a shot when you do get close enough for their accuracy to go back above the threshold.

Tell that to my assaults that love taking potshots at long range against aliens advancing in cover with their carbines...

Blaster launcher into the skyranger was a classic way of wiping a mission.
Yeah, that pretty much sucked. Lost whole teams to that one. There was also a bug where a grenade or demo charge that had a timer set before the GC ended would blow up the next time you went into GC. That was always fun.

So how to survive this situation when sebillians is at the front of your dropship?
I'd rearrange my troops so the LMG and rocket launchers were able to fire out the back as soon as you land. I do believe Chris mentioned the Xenonauts were always supposed to go first in some upcoming release.

But Xenos always go first. I think you are addressing the Valkyrie where after deployment aliens were the first one to move (or so I've heard - never actually went far enough to get one)

And as StellarRat said - I am always assigning LMG as a frontal units so in such cases I suppress the aliens. You could also throw a flashbang if you have strong enough soldier.

So how to survive this situation when sebillians is at the front of your dropship?

I find a little trick long time ago, take one of your soldiers out of the secondary exits of the ship, take cover or seek longer range, shot at aliens or trigger reacrion fire.

That stupids aliens will shot to the soldier in current actions.

Sometimes I put a shield soldier in secondary exit to deal with this situations.

xD

I'd rearrange my troops so the LMG and rocket launchers were able to fire out the back as soon as you land. I do believe Chris mentioned the Xenonauts were always supposed to go first in some upcoming release.

I use a layout where there is 1 machinegun and 2 shields or heavily armored soldiers in the front. Never had any big issues with aliens in front of me. Usualy I'm just happy if some mook decides to check out the Chinook and proceeds to sit in the firing lane of a machine gun. I guess maybe if an Andron spawned in front of a team with nothing but ballistics. I also always have some (hopefully armored) people exit from the sides because I once got shot in the back by a Sebilian who had spawned near one of the side exits.

I use a layout where there is 1 machinegun and 2 shields or heavily armored soldiers in the front. Never had any big issues with aliens in front of me. Usualy I'm just happy if some mook decides to check out the Chinook and proceeds to sit in the firing lane of a machine gun. I guess maybe if an Andron spawned in front of a team with nothing but ballistics. I also always have some (hopefully armored) people exit from the sides because I once got shot in the back by a Sebilian who had spawned near one of the side exits.

This problems usually appears when you are fighting light aricraft without advanced armors. And as you say, shields are very usefull in this situations.

This problems usually appears when you are fighting light aricraft without advanced armors. And as you say, shields are very usefull in this situations.

Yes, unarmored Xenonauts are extremely vulnerable. Which is why I put the machinegun into the front and shoot with it first. If there is an alien in front of the craft I can either supress it or kill it outright. The early aliens are rather vulnerable too after all.

I'm not saying that there are no situations where an alien spawning really close to your transport wouldn't be a problem. It's just that there are ways to deal with it and that managing the soldier location in the transport might pay off.

I imagine that putting a vechile in the front would also help but I haven't really used them.