the game needs autosave

I've reloaded and gone back a few turns about 10 times in one mission in the past hour. I save every turn but even then, my saves might crash when I reload. So that means going back another turn. Or maybe 1 more beyond that. 2 steps forward, one step back. Doesn't help that the game is crashing a lot as well.

Since the save system is apparently bugged and the game is also dealing with bugs, the game should have at least 2 turns of autosave in missions.

It's incredibly frustrating -- especially for a game that is so near to release. It's gonna frustrate new players when it's released if you don't have an autosave feature and they hit this many CTDs when loading a save.

While I agree that the game has a few stability issues as far as loads crashing, I don't really feel that there is a need for an auto-save feature on the combat missions. If it was added, I think it should only be once maybe every 5 or 6 turns, that way on a longer mission (i.e. Battleships, larger bases), you don't have to restart a mission that might have taken you 30-60 minutes up until that point if the game crashes.

Don't forget that you can manually save on combat missions as well.

Yeah, I'm aware of that. But when a turn takes 3 or 4 minutes and I'm getting frequent CTDs/locks _AND_ the autosaves may or may not actually reload... having an automated save feature seems like a nice thing to do.

Clicking save game at the start of each turn doesn't make ground combat take twice as long, don't be silly. It's a pretty minor issue that's easily remedied by the player, in comparison to other issues (bugs, CTD issues, etc). I'm sure everybody would be fine with manual saves if it meant the time taken to implement that went into resolving all known bugs instead.

Saving the game every turn causes a noticeable lag (which Iron Man players will probably be familiar with) as the game saves. It's not something I'd make compulsory.

Fixing the crashes seems the better way of addressing this issue.

Fixing the crashes seems the better way of addressing this issue.

True. But I addressed this in my OP: you're likely not going to fix all the game crashes by release time and releasing a game that has CTDs on load and doesn't have an autosave will frustrate new players. As well as casual players like me.

> Saving the game every turn causes a noticeable lag

Does it? Why not save the game while people are playing the beginning of their turn? Wouldn't be much CPU hit going on there. Surely you can be doing CPU bound things and IO bound things at the same time?

Edited by wcanyon

Clicking save game at the start of each turn doesn't make ground combat take twice as long, don't be silly. It's a pretty minor issue that's easily remedied by the player, in comparison to other issues (bugs, CTD issues, etc). I'm sure everybody would be fine with manual saves if it meant the time taken to implement that went into resolving all known bugs instead.

Specifically I meant Ironman, which saves at the end of your turn, the beginning of your turn, when something interesting happens, and if the day of the week happens to end in "y".

wcanyon has a good point. Unless the game is basically crash free at release you are going to end up with frustrated players and potentially bad reviews. Bad reviews at release are the last thing you want. It should probably save at least two or three previous turns, so the player can fall back 1 - 3 saves if something goes wrong. Also, there is a fair chance that some crash bug will found after release that no one has yet encountered due to a larger number of people playing.

I've actually never noticed a lag the few times I've tried iron man. But, I do have an SSD in my PC so it's very fast writing files out.

Edited by StellarRat

As Chris says, I'd rather the crashes be fixed. I don't experience frequent lock-ups or crashes myself, which logically means it's a "local" problem only experienced by some people. I've got no problem understanding that it must be incredibly frustrating to those people, but still, it's something that should be fixed by release, and either way, as was said, you can just manually save your game whenever you want to.

As Chris says, I'd rather the crashes be fixed. I don't experience frequent lock-ups or crashes myself, which logically means it's a "local" problem only experienced by some people. I've got no problem understanding that it must be incredibly frustrating to those people, but still, it's something that should be fixed by release, and either way, as was said, you can just manually save your game whenever you want to.
I don't think you can manually save your game in Ironman mode. So multiple saves are the ONLY solution unless the software is nearly totally bug free. I don't play ironman, but if I had hacked my way through dozens and dozens of combats to get to the final mission and my save wouldn't load or it crashed everytime due to a bug I'd blow a fuse. That's a keyboard throwing event.