Ground Combat Balance - V22 Experimental 3

This build only has a couple of balance changes. The big one is that combat shields can no longer be carried in the backpack - they are either equipped or have to be dropped on the ground, meaning each soldier can realistically only carry one.

Alien officers / leaders now have to be captured using Stun Batons rather than cheesing them with stun gas, too.

This isn't really the thread to be posting about bugs, but it's more than possible fixing one of the bugs in the changelog also fixed the bug you experienced. Often several different bugs are just symptoms of the same cause!

Remove or reduce the suppression strength of friendly fire. For exmaple I have a soldier standing 3 tiles away from alien and 2 other soldiers burst or sniper fire said alien - there is high possibility that that soldier will get suppressed. I guess that when it is friendly fire the suppression shots shouldn't have 100% effect.

First of all, my game just updated, it was after 22.3, what the fuck? Are my saved games broken yet again?

Second of all, great job on sebilians' regeneration, snipers can't kill them on their own now without resorting to grenades.

Seriously, why? They are tough enough as it is. And regenerating enemies are a lot of fun when they can be your first UFO. I frankly quit the game there.

Edited by Rovlad

Alien officers / leaders now have to be captured using Stun Batons rather than cheesing them with stun gas, too.

Could you elaborate on this? Are they completely immune to stun gas? Or is it something like a baton will deliver a charge equivalent to a great number of grenades?

Preadtors don't feel as protective as they might be. Having taken a look, I noticed that Preds are currently set to an average armour level of 80, which sounds fine in theory but in practice isn't as protective as it might first sound as mid-late game when Preds start appearing you've got a lot more heavy plasma and pcannons which wreck face. Could Preds be upped to 90?

this is very mad psi-formula works, for exmpl in orgignal X-com aliens took under control men with the weak psi-strength(bravery in your case), but there in game my old wolfs with 78 bravery has been taken over control on a level with weak and green rookies with 35 br points, and amazing rate of chance of wolfs been taken is higher then one for green rookies.

Edited by buzzyguy

In most of situation when my spec ops storm the UFO. If aliens have opened the doors (common in the side of Cruiser) i CANT see the internals of UFO and ALIen is UNDER roof, i cant target him or their whilst not put my dearly-got man to front of the door... so sure aline soot me up in this case.

About accuracy. For Example In X-Com 10-20 % accuracy of my soldier doesnt mean that my soldier been staying face to face to alien have a chane to miss 80-90% that means that he have this acc in a line of free distance. So shooting in X-com is more phisically then here due to in very close combat i shoot up my enemy even wiht 10-15 acc. So there acc increasing only on 15 % within 5 tiles and So Very Amazing to watch that a experienced soldier missed in few steps from alien from shotgun or rifle. This is very crazy...

You need to understand that the game is just a turn based abstaction of a real time fire fight.

Firstly, beign few tiles away from a target could mean considerably longer distance in real situation. (units can only see 16 tiles in clear day light for example)

Secondly, Even if it seems the units are just standing there side by side shooting and missing each other, in real situation the fire fight happens in real time so people are in constant move, ducking and dashing. Even if you are close to your target, hitting it isn't necessarily that easy.

I'm sure Chris is still following the discussion on the general thread, but wanted to state here on record that grenade's accuracy should be decreased and deviation be increased.

Also, I wish electroshock grenades were capable of knocking out only robotic enemies (and only suppressing biotic targets, acting as advanced flashbang) considering they do not follow end-of-turn explosion nor over-damage, two major disadvantages of grenade.

Edited by ventuswings
simplification

I am currently sick of how accurate aliens are with Plasma Cannon - no matter how many covers I have - it always hits the spot killing all the soldiers in the blast radius. It doesn't matter is 2 screens of width, am I behind 2-3 45% cover. The only time it misses when the shot goes wide which is very rare.

Edit: damn, was playing v21 instead of 22

Updated from v20, where I usually would beat aliens on 1:2 ratio and had a steady stream of new recruits on missions. It was awesome, although overkill on normal-difficulty.

Current version I started on hard and its a complete wussy. Be it feature or bug, but 90% of downed ufos sport two xenos outside and couple inside. No relation to how badly its damaged.

Its only been couple months but Ive hardly lost any soldiers and every mission is just running down the two outside and stun those in ufo.

Alien accuracy varies but mostly seems fair. Only problem is them showing up in minimal numbers even in hard difficulty and undamaged scout.

Though I understand its only scout and couple months in, but having 8 majors and no difference between missions and no impending sense of danger is killing the mood.

Aliens now being able to blindly fire to smoke is great, it gives alot of cover but wont protect perfectly.

Also stun gas is nice. It seems overpowered, but actually feels very professional way to clear out confined spaces. Although I would love to see tougher aliens fight it off little longer and only suppress when outdoors.

Edited by Mazka

There is one more thing that bugs me. Lets say we have Alien against a wall and an LMG guy behind the wall so we have like A|X (A -alien | - wall, X - our hero). Selecting fire option on alien yields 0% chance of kill so it is ok when the wall is there. But during the 10 rounds burst the wall is destroyed for example at round 5 - the other 5 rounds also will hit the ground instead of flying at the target as they suppose to.