Geoscape Balance - V22 Experimental 3

The changes in this build are mostly orientated towards the air combat and the Corsairs in particular, which we felt were underpowered. We're looking to make them a more viable choice while retaining the unique two cannon armament.

- Air combat fuel burn rate halved

- Buffed aircraft cannons to have the same range as the equivalent missiles

- Interceptor cannons now have 80 rounds instead of 60

- Fix: when capturing a landed ufo, continent relations bonus was not given

- Fixed manufacturing occasionally draining resources multiple times for one project

The half fuel burn rate is a lot better, you can actually have a tactical engagement rather than the splash and dash that v19 and earlier required.

The longer combat time allows the leading of UFOs so another can get behind them and has made the cannon more useful as range was an issue on multiple target engagements when fuel was a critical factor.

This may not be the right place to post this, but I'm not sure if it's a bug or a balance issue or I'm just blind.

I clicked on "build new base" and scrolled around the globe some, trying to plan out future placement, but then I couldn't cancel it. I left-clicked and right-clicked on every option and tab in sight, but the game refused to let me NOT build a base. Am I missing something?

This may not be the right place to post this, but I'm not sure if it's a bug or a balance issue or I'm just blind.

I clicked on "build new base" and scrolled around the globe some, trying to plan out future placement, but then I couldn't cancel it. I left-clicked and right-clicked on every option and tab in sight, but the game refused to let me NOT build a base. Am I missing something?

Esc Key? Can't remember if I used that once to cancel a base build

- Air combat fuel burn rate halved
This applies to all aircraft? Wonderful. I hate how you so often don't have much combat time even though you're intercepting a UFO very close to your base. Thumbs up :) !

Also agree with Spike, ground crews should be able to refuel and rearm planes simultaneously. This would also make it easier to know when exactly an interceptor will be ready for launch. If that imbalances things, just make the Repair+Rearm procedure take a little longer.

Would also be interesting if UFOs could react to their surroundings more, for example pick a new target if they feel a given interceptor would be an easier catch than the one they currently chase.

Edited by Safe-Keeper

Apparently, everyone else in the base know how to use the telephones.

Research finished, call the Commander. Manufacturing completed, call the Commander. New building constructed, new aircraft arriving, etc.

Except for:

Refuel, rearm and repair of the aircraft. It seems that the people in the hanger don't know how to contact the commander when they get the aircraft ready. Are they sniffing the aviation fuel?

Refuel, rearm and repair of the aircraft. It seems that the people in the hanger don't know how to contact the commander when they get the aircraft ready. Are they sniffing the aviation fuel?

With a lot of planes, this could actually be quite cumbersome (you're likely to be seeing 9+ messages by the mid-game onwards), especially after a wave had ended.

I'd suggest, then, that if this was implemented it would be useful to make it context sensitive (i.e. only report when there are UFOs within the plane's range, detected or something else similar). So at least you don't get message-spammed when you don't need to be.

I agree that context sensitive would be the proper way to do it, as you don't need to know their status once the swarm is over, but you need to know the readiness situation while the UFO's are still flying overhead.

This doesn't even need to be a pop-up box, it can go in the text box at the bottom of the screen.

I don't know if I should qualify this as a bug or maybe intentional. But for example during combat if there is a popup that says fuel is low turn back and you don't turn back but fight even 1s longer - your plane is destroyed either way. But if he gets away with -5% fuel it will return to base intact. When it doesn't fly away with enough fuel on negative value, he is destroyed during combat. A little inconsistency here I think.

If the popup says I am low on fuel I should either leave the "battlefield" or finish the sortie ASAP without losing the plane.