New movement path tiles

Gauddlike

This is just a replacement of the current square tiles that show the movement path of your soldiers with round ones to match the selection cursors.

Also just added the same to the bullet path tiles.

Made this for my own gratification as I think it is an improvement over the current vanilla ones.

Just extract to assets/tiles if you want to try it out.

*edit* Also added a star version for some variety.

Dotty.jpg

Dots.zip

Stars.zip

Starry.jpg

Dotty.jpg

Dots.zip

Stars.zip

Starry.jpg

Dotty.jpg.c2b6149403d25f625f773f31f7d1c3

Dots.zip

Stars.zip

Starry.jpg.f5f01f25349a89bed9c1dc65107ce

Edited by Gauddlike

It looks a bit too much like the unit selection cursor if the centre has nothing there.

I just dropped the circle over the top of the old tiles and trimmed the edges.

I will try making the inner more transparent at some point though and see how it looks.

I think making the underlying tile a little more visible might be nice.

Edited by Gauddlike

Oh, I meant removing the inner black circle, not the entire innards. Yeah, making it a bit more transparent could be nice.

Hmm hadn't considered that.

I was just duplicating the current selection cursor look but shading the inside to give a bigger visual difference.

I will have a look at it though.

My only real concern is that vehicles still use the same icon which looks a bit messy.

How about this?

dotty2.jpg

Round markers are a good base because they stand out well from the generally square landscape.

Better than the stars, which are also "square".

However, colour differences alone are not easy to see for everyone so a small change in shape or outlines would be useful.

I imagine that the center area of such a marker would be semi-transparent. Maybe 50% but that would have to be tried ingame..

For the red one I'd use a radial gradient on the alpha channel so that the outside remains clearly visible.

dotty2.jpg

dotty2.jpg.20acc5bb5d280986ff58af1902406

The only reason I tried the star was because of the odd spacing of the circles.

The gap on the diagonal path compared to the straight sections irritated me a little.

To have the diagonals come closer together you need something in the top and bottom corners as well as the left and right corners, hence the stars.

I would have preferred to have a directional indicator that changed angle to show the path heading, as bullets change angle to follow the projectile path but it doesn't look to be possible.

I tried the red circle the way you mention it while making the stars but it didn't look right.

They just look like a blob.

I think I have them somewhere to take a shot of.

Changing the general shape or outline looks a bit odd as well as the path loses its consistency.

I dislike the progression as you suggest it there because it doesn't make much sense to go from one border to two borders then to no border.

Personally I would have two borders on green, one on orange and none on red if I was to do that so there was more of a link between the tiles.

The original circles already have more than 50% transparency but you can't really tell on the industrial tiles as the ground tiles don't have much of a texture to show through.

blobs.jpg

blobs.jpg

blobs.jpg.4b985ce8878fedb1128c9352f8fbb2