Using percentages for reloading and other actions

Reloading needs the percentage system, because I have had a soldier unable to reload his MG because he didn't have enough APs (yes his APs were that low). Throwing grenades doesn't use the percentage system, right? I don't think the same guy could throw grenades either.

grenades throws are on the % system. so you have a guy who is that loaded down and, or just that weak, with TUs that are that low to make reloading impossible. i think its 30 to reload, and all your troops should start with at least 35. i have to ask how did you ever get him into firing range of an alien to even need to reload, and why did you ever pick this poor SOB.

The grenade throws do indeed use the % system, but the penalties for not having a hand free are static penalties and I think they should stay that way.

Reload costs I'm more flexible on, but I do still want to give soldiers with high TU's some benefit that is not purely increased movement range. 35 TU is the lowest possible starting value for soldiers so everyone should be able to reload a MG unless overloaded.

Reload costs I'm more flexible on, but I do still want to give soldiers with high TU's some benefit that is not purely increased movement range. 35 TU is the lowest possible starting value for soldiers so everyone should be able to reload a MG unless overloaded.

Just a thought, but would it be possible to set reload costs to a set value OR 100% of a unit's TUs if they have a maximum less than the amount required to reload. This would allow heavily overloaded soldiers to still be able to reload, while maintaining an advantage for higher TU soldiers.

(This may be a lot of work for a relatively small problem; just wanted to throw it out there as a suggestion.)

Once my Heavy did run out of ammo. He was wounded and lost some TU, so he could not reload anymore.

I put all grenades, the medikit and other stuff but the gun and ammo pack onto the ground. Next round reloading was possible, and I packed everything back. Voilá.

I don't know if this is intended or a viable option as weight reduces TU.

And yes that soldier, all my soldiers actually, are slightly overloaded.