rocket launcher general thought

huhn

the rocket luncher and his problems.

the rocket luncher is the only weapon that get a lot better with really high tu stats (reload and firing in the same turn).

if a rocket kills the enemy, weapon and body is destroy even with an enemy that lives after 2 or more direct hits. i think it is right to punish heavy rocket use but this just looks wrong. maybe change this to weapon take 1-2 explosions before destroyed on the ground or give them hp, and alien bodys only get destroy if hit for higher than ~70 dmg or more then 50 % of there max hp or when dead on the ground.

weapon still get destroyed if the rocket luncher is used a lot but it doesn't harm to kill a really strong alien with it anymore.

new rocket ammo shock rockets there shouldn't be any need for more animations.

the current problem is that stun rockets have lower AOE range than stun grenades. only the fire range is higher but it takes way more tu to use. a shock rocket would make the rocket luncher more intresting. a rocket that can't destroy Weapon and can kill a couple of aliens plus stunning/suppressing.

The overdamage was added to explosives because without it, there's basically no reason to ever not use them. They're supposed to be a tradeoff of more power, but at an opportunity cost if you use it to kill aliens.

i knew but why kill 100 % and dmg 0% that's what makes this feel so unreal and unbalanced, i totally agree that loot should get destroyed by it but not like this!

i think hes asking for a chance to save stuff if the over damage is not very high. so say you shot a seb with 200 hp but you only do 201 damage( number out of my butt ) you have a roll to see if the body and gear made it threw the explosion instead of a auto loss of loot.

so in essence the late game aliens have a pretty good chance to keep dropping loot unless your using rockets like machine gun fire. in my opinion that is already the case but i think Huhn is looking for a finer scale.

side note an electro shot rocket would be sweet, but unless you recolor plasma rockets black or something your going to have to make new art for it.

Edited by quiescat
spelling

I made an electroshock rocket once, it was just a recolor of fusion rockets I think.

I gave up on it because I couldn't find the fine line between being more useful than electroshock grenades, but not so incredibly OP that there was no reason to use other rockets.

I made an electroshock rocket once, it was just a recolor of fusion rockets I think.

I gave up on it because I couldn't find the fine line between being more useful than electroshock grenades, but not so incredibly OP that there was no reason to use other rockets.

i am not a fan of rockets to start with so maybe my judgement is skewed, but why not let it stay the same stats as an electroshock grenade just longer range.

It is a huge range increase and the only real penalty is that it costs more TU to fire.

It has the benefit over current rockets of removing the overdamage risk as well.

Unless it is significantly less likely to take out an enemy it removes one of the major balances of using rockets but doesn't replace it with another balance.

There is an armour piercing rocket sprite that is no longer used so that could easily be repurposed if anyone felt like using it.

• 3 weeks later...

I gave up on using rockets a while ago. The troopers carrying it are slow, they are only of mediocre accuracy so firing close to friendlies is a big risk. You lose the equipment drops from the dead aliens plus destroy any cover you could use in follow-up turns. Combined with the fact that the aliens almost never cluster together enough to make it worth firing (i.e. getting 2 or more kills), it makes it more of a hassle than it is worth. I'd rather have another trooper with a rifle and grenade than a rocket launcher. Honestly it was the same problem in X-COM: UFO Defense. Rocket Launcher had a lot of power, but too many drawbacks to make it worthwhile.

I gave up on using rockets a while ago. The troopers carrying it are slow, they are only of mediocre accuracy so firing close to friendlies is a big risk. You lose the equipment drops from the dead aliens plus destroy any cover you could use in follow-up turns. Combined with the fact that the aliens almost never cluster together enough to make it worth firing (i.e. getting 2 or more kills), it makes it more of a hassle than it is worth. I'd rather have another trooper with a rifle and grenade than a rocket launcher. Honestly it was the same problem in X-COM: UFO Defense. Rocket Launcher had a lot of power, but too many drawbacks to make it worthwhile.

Wait for Sebilian terror missions. It sure felt very assuring to simply nuke every alpha reaper showing up on the map.

Overall all explosives are mainly a way to stop an untennable tactical situation from killing you. I find they work fine for that, including rocket launchers who don't have anything specific to hit to murder it. As said, even very distant aimed shots just had to hit within a few squares of said reapers to kill them. Far safer than having everyone line up to take potshots or get eaten.

Rocket launchers are similar to grenades a specific tool to make a specific kind threat go away. In case of grenades that is if you get swamped aka a lethal threat appears too close for comfort and for rocket launchers the same goes to destroy a threat before it emerges.

Late terror missions can have ~20 elite Androns + 3 heavy drones + snipers. I essentially nuked a street crossing to prevent such a force from flanking me. I sure as hell would use the rocket launcher to reduce the number of enemies before taking chances with individual shots by the rest of the team to thin out the ranks. If you are worried about enemies not clustering together, in such missions they do and you better be ready to waste multiple explosives to ensure whatever you aim at dies quickly.

I ran a Sebilian terror mission the other day, final alien body count was 34: 24 Sebilians, 10 Reapers. Civies must have all spawned near them, poor bastards, cause out of the 7 civilians and 3 local forces, only 1 was left alive (he dove into the Chinook on the second turn). I took them down my way, fall back just far enough they can get close but not attack, then blast away at point blank with the plasma carbine and burst fire. Helps that the sniper was able to tag a few before they got close enough to be a threat too. I was amazed I was able to clear it with an 8 man fire-team and no one on the team died, half the squad had single digit HP at the end though, but you know what they say: Hit Points, Anything more than none means I'm ready for action!

I personally never considered the rocket luncher as necessary or very useful. Even destructive grenades were barely ever used in my playthroughs. I only use flashback, smoke and a lot of stun grenades.

However, the big brother of the rocket luncher, the singularity cannon, is fun. Having problems with a room full of highest tier elite units, fire a shot, problem solved!

Honestly, this is what I use the vehicles for...

Once you unlock the laser cannon upgrade for it, the Hunter becomes a rather mobile and accurate heavy weapons support platform, especially since it can fire up to 9 shots (though that is still an annoyingly low number) without the need to balance carry weight, as well as having a higher TU pool than any of the troopers I bring.

Well, I disagree with the fact that yesterday I had a rocket trooper that was a major not only miss a nearby target, shooting his comrade point blank in the back of the head. An arming distance would certainly be nice! Oh, and the soldier firing the launcher was the only one lost on the mission. He was a little blood spot on the ground. When the mission ended, that bloodspot was listed as recovering for thirty or so days in the infirmary. Oh, logic. Such a wonderful thing.

Well, I disagree with the fact that yesterday I had a rocket trooper that was a major not only miss a nearby target, shooting his comrade point blank in the back of the head. An arming distance would certainly be nice! Oh, and the soldier firing the launcher was the only one lost on the mission. He was a little blood spot on the ground. When the mission ended, that bloodspot was listed as recovering for thirty or so days in the infirmary. Oh, logic. Such a wonderful thing.

"Tis but a flesh wound!" - Rocket Trooper

"A flesh wound?! You're a puddle of goo!" - Rifleman

"It got better!" - Rocket Trooper

Well, you knew it was an XCOM clone, right? Wouldn't be the same kind of game if you couldn't see a Major throw his grenade like a girl killing half a troop of soldiers.

Never allow anything to be between the rocket and the alien, particularly another soldier.

Lesson Learned. The hard way. When I bought this game I thought it was a lot more forgiving than the original XCOM. Moments like that remind me otherwise. Moral of the story: Rockets are a backup, not a primary weapon. Oh, and not even a rocket to the face can kill a Russian.