Chemlight thrown in/on water

Minor issue...

Chemlights that are thrown on water seem to swim. It just looks strange.

It might be better to kill the light instantly when landing on the water

It depends. There are chemlights and chemlights.

Chemoluminiscent light AKA 'Glow stick' works in water as fine as in air and can float (depends on design).

Classic chemical flare - depends on which chemicals they are based on.

Potassium nitrate + sulfur/aluminium/magnesium flares dropped in water will extinguish.

Calcium-based will work (they were designed primarilly for work underwater!).

Sodium-based flare will fire and explode even if you did not ignite it :)

(

) Edited by a_beorning

Ok, maybe this is possible, just wanted to say that it looks strange and like a bug.

If the engine could handle light effects better - traffic lights, street lamps, light in buildings and so on - a flickering or a slow fade in/out of light intensity of the floating chemlight would be cool.

• 2 weeks later...
Science Supply House? You sound like such a NERD!

Fun fact; thermite is really really easy to make, and pretty much nothing will put it out. There was a show in the UK called Braniac where they put Thermite into a big tub of liquid nitrogen to see which would "win" and it burned straight through to the floor.

Fun fact; thermite is really really easy to make, and pretty much nothing will put it out. There was a show in the UK called Braniac where they put Thermite into a big tub of liquid nitrogen to see which would "win" and it burned straight through to the floor.

That sounds like the coolest shit ever! Have you seen that episode of Mythbusters where they light some thermite on top of a big block of ice and the whole thing explodes?

Anarchists cookbook anyone?

What for?

Chemistry schoolbook (at least soviet chemistry schoolbook from 198x), some inventiveness, general idea of safety techniques, readiness to experiment and, last but not least, a bit of luck.

It's enough, "Anarchists cookbook" authors had not much more :)

"Resourceful people could always find the ingredients for homemade explosives - common things such as sugar and bleaches, quite ordinary oils and innocent fertilizers, plastics and solvents and extracts from the dirt beneath a manure pile. The list was virtually endless, growing with each addition to human experience and knowledge." © Frank Herbert, "God Emperor of Dune".

PS. You can also try US Department of Army Technical Manual TM 31-210 "Improvised Munition Handbook" (for official use only).

PPS. Before you try, think at least twice: "what I want to do", "why I want to do it" and "what results I will get, including side-effects".

And - just to be sure - check "who wants me to do it and what he/she/they really want to acquire".

Edited by a_beorning

And also 'can I live with the consequences if I do it'.

Even a successful test of a homemade firework just for fun could land you in serious trouble these days.

Very much so, especially in the UK.

Russia (and other places) on the other hand are a touch more liberal about that kind of thing.

Very much so, especially in the UK.

Russia (and other places) on the other hand are a touch more liberal about that kind of thing.

Russia was a touch more liberal (when it was part of USSR).

In my school years, unauthorized children experiments with explosives assumed as "hooliganism" (at least when no damage dealt and nobody wounded). Administrative violation. Really unpleasent conversation with parents, possibly money penalty.

Now it is "illicit manufacturing and/or trafficking of weapon and explosives" with suspicion of "terrorism". Criminal act with penal responsbility.