[V21 Stable HF 20/03/2014] Valkyrie Loadout Balance

I just recently got the Valkyrie unlocked and built in a test save, dorking around with some other mechanics as opposed to having this on stream. I've uploaded two screenshots below to illustrate my point.

I feel the Valkyrie's loadout is set up incorrectly. On the dropship management page, I suggest an extra "row" be added.

With the current layout it has available and its "capacity" via the personnel management it is possible for the below mixes before being unable to add any additional soldiers to the Valkyrie. Only two of the squad compositions can be considered viable.

1. 16 person squad
  2. 14 person squad 1 vehicle
  3. 6 person squad 2 vehicles

If we had an additional row on the Valkyrie this would allow for a 12 person squad with 2 vehicles.

This would make it the only dropship capable of deploying 2 vehicles with the remaining "capacity" filled with soldiers without any empty capacity. I feel that this would not imbalance the Valkyrie considering that the Valkyrie is incapable of Aborting missions.

In my previous playthrough of the game, I completed the game without building a Valkyrie due to insufficient alenium. Seeing what it is capable of, and the whole "deployment" no-aborting nature of it is a serious downside for all missions excluding the End Game mission where you're already at a no-abort portion of the game. For all other mission types, I think I'd prefer utilizing the Shrike over it despite the speed differences. This would allow me the opportunity to build additional Marauder units, and with the base maintenance costs holding onto each type of dropship isn't a good idea. (Especially considering how UFO waves can wind up with six+ UFOs on the map on NORMAL).

Just wanted to get some discussion on this as I didn't see anything recent about it. :)

2014-03-23_00002.jpg

2014-03-23_00003.jpg

2014-03-23_00002.jpg

2014-03-23_00003.jpg

2014-03-23_00002.thumb.jpg.00bd3bb23a6a1

2014-03-23_00003.thumb.jpg.b5301ba74c9ad

Edited by Ziggarius
grammar fix

Oh, I see what you mean. Hmm. I'm not sure we want to encourage two-vehicle playstyles, as vehicles already pack a decent punch for their crew capacity. But if we do allow the Valkyrie to do it, we would indeed have to add more space. However 4 extra soldiers and drop-ability is a nice enough bonus already.

TBH though, I thought you could abort missions in the Valkyrie using the normal methods? You just retreat your guys back into the space where they originally dropped then abort?

Was the first thing I tried testing, and it does not allow it to work. The abort menu shows that I'd lose the entire squad of soldiers.

Tested it both by moving them off of it and then back onto the drop pods, and not moving the soldiers off of the drop pods.

If that is a bug, I'll gladly post it and rescind this suggestion as a 14 squad and a vehicle (or 16 squad) would be sufficient with abort capabilities. :)

Quick Edit: Though I do think it would be a fun risk-reward dropship to allow a two vehicle setup if it meant you can't abort. Though it might catch a few people off-guard if there was no warning in regards to it. Just some food for thought I suppose.

Edited by Ziggarius