Do different map packs work together?

thixotrop

Now as I am playing with V21 I intend to use the community maps and suddenly I have some silly questions.

1) How to install?

Only unzip/unrar into this here: Steam\SteamApps\common\Xenonauts\assets\maps ?

Or is more to do?

2) Which map packs are running with current V21 stable?

3) Do map packs from different creators (Skitso, flashman, Ol'Stinky and others...) can be used together?

(And is it possible to recognize who made what map during gaming?)

There should be absolutely no issues with using map packs from different authors. The only time that'd happen is if two mapmakers use the same name for submaps, which is very unlikely.

The community map pack and Stinky pack 2 work with v21 but don't follow the official guidelines. For example, the light scout maps will be bigger than the official maps (60x60 versus 50x50).

Skitso's maps work with v21 and are good. Download them.

You might pick up on map making styles, but there's no way to display the current map name ingame, sadly. Grumble grumble mutter mutter.

The maps themselves should end up in ...\Xenonauts\assets\maps\[tileset name]. So farm maps will be in ...\Xenonauts\assets\maps\farm\. With mine you point the .zip to your Xenonauts folder, wherever that might be (NOT the one in mydocs where saves are kept, but the one in, say, your Steam folder). With others, like Skitso's, you might extract into Xenonauts\assets\. It'll say in their OP.

Edited by Ol' Stinky

I am using both Stinky's and Skitso's maps - they both did terrific job! No problems seen so far on Stable 21, I can wholeheartedly recommend installing them and enjoying new challenges.

Wonder whether GH could include them in the official set and perhaps compensate somehow authors for their hard work? It is quite late in the process, but the added maps really make huge difference in case player wants to do given type of UFO more than a couple of times. The game would stand a bit lower in my ranking if not for the community map packs that add good amount of replayability. Only a couple of these maps could use additional polish.

Thanks, glad you like my maps! :) Chris has mentioned he'll probably check the community maps before launch and might include best in the game. I'm completely ok with that, of course, without any compensation. Being credited would be more than enough.

Edited by Skitso

Since now I am using multiple map packs, how can I tell the name of a map? Of course I could just make screenshot and ask who recognises those doors standing in the middle of nowhere :). Actually I liked them, somehow they felt a bit like Neil Gaiman had a contribution there.

Sadly, there's no way to bring up the name of the current map. All you can do is post the screenshot, and then I'll look at it and try to work out if it's mine or not.

"Doors standing in the middle of nowhere" is something that makes me nervous, though. Do you know what UFO you were after, and whether it was a Caesan/Sebillian/Andron UFO?

Thanks for answers.

I will test then at the weekend. I really would like to know if a map is from a certain author.

From the current in-game maps I really like the industrial / train / city maps. They are so crowded and look resonable to me. I haven't seen terror maps, but i am eager to go there.

If you run the Xenonauts debugger, somewhere among the tons of output that it produces there should be a line reading something like "Trying to load the map "desert/desert_small_compound_lightscout"...The map is loaded."

Oh, cool. Right then. What that means to anyone reading this: if you provide a save game with the map problem, it'd help the mapmaker find out where the issue is. Saved games are in My Documents\Xenonauts\, not the Steam directory, and they'll be .sav files.

You might pick up on map making styles' date=' but there's no way to display the current map name ingame, sadly. Grumble grumble mutter mutter.

Just installed Stinky pack 2 annd all of Skitso's and will start to play in a minute, but I had an idea how you can "leave your mark" on the map.

For each map type create a special tile with your initials or logo that will be placed at one corner of the map or near the dropship at the edge of the map. Don't use extreme colors.

A much better way would be to have your initial/logo as a grafitti/poster/whatever on a wall somewhere, but I think that would be toug to read and may be too tiny.

But now: "Game on, Garth":)

Have played now with some map packs and I have to say I like them a lot.

Skitso, the desert map flea market is really good. Also that the ufo entrance was very near a house wall. Quite some difference with that small space there.

In general I think the aliens spawn much closer to the landing ship, so the action is starting right after landing.

One thing that was also new to me, but I don't know if it was one of Skitso's or Stinky's maps, was an arctic crash site with the ufo clamped to NW edge and a large water area in the middle. Also nice map by the way, the snow looks not as homogenous as before.

It was a night mission and one chemlight was thrown into the water...or onto the water.

That looked really strange:

light on water.jpg

Is that normal behaviour?

If yes it might be better to kill the light instantly when landing on the water, even better delete the sprite, so that it is submerged.

light on water.jpg

577e7cd0c0c7a_lightonwater.thumb.jpg.c98

Edited by thixotrop

That's one of mine. (:

I don't think there's a way for me to stop flares being thrown where they're not wanted, sadly. You can chuck a flare pretty much anywhere. Here's a screenshot where I throw a flare into the abyss. Those black tiles are areas where I haven't put any ground down at all, but I can still throw a flare on them.

BFL2A7W.png

If I were you, I'd repost this in the general issues work thread. Claim the glory for yourself, thixotrop!

Edited by Ol' Stinky

Maybe the water is actually frozen and they are just sitting on the ice?

Definitely not frozen. Such blue ice is only possible with lots of chemicals in it, like in toilet water of airliner jets. And I don't think the arctic places are used as deposits for that :)

If I were you, I'd repost this in the general issues work thread. Claim the glory for yourself, thixotrop!

Actually I think that is a minor issue. I just wanted to know if this is normal or "your doing".

But I will post this in general thread just to let the devs know avbout it.

Edited by thixotrop