2 Questions if I could

1. When and how are rosters for soldiers to hire updated? At the beginning of each month? I was struggling with only being able to select from a list of pathetic candidates, and then a slate of new ones suddenly became available...

2. How is the potential for a funding region to be lost calculated? I had an alien base appear in N Africa right about the beginning of October, and I deliberately let it sit there until the 30th, figuring it would be ok so long as I got to it before the end-of-the-month review (and to give myself a little more time to build a few more suits of armor). I successfully assaulted it, and then watched in chagrin as N Africa bailed anyhow?

so number one i have not the slightest clue sorry. i do know that when you hire one they get replaced on the roster with another. out side of that i never noticed. if i had to guess i would say its monthly with your funding.

number two i at least think i understand better. so if you notice when a UFO is floating around you get little pop ups on the map that say things like freak storm, ufo sighted, abduction, and other such nonsense. well each event reduces your standing with the area its done over. this includes water so letting ufos sit out at sea still hurts. in the case of ufos if you shoot them down more before they get to many events off your going to be at a net gain. with bases i am going to take the wild guess that they also have missions/events they just dont pop up so the longer it sits there the more damage it does.

terror sights are the odd man out in my mind here if you let one go its a massive hit but if you let it land and beat it i understand it to be a massive gain in rep. however if you shoot it down before any thing happens its just like any other ufo. the same can be said about bases in that if you attack one its a pretty big rep gain but a ship has to land and build it. if your lucky you can snipe it before it leaves right after it builds the base.

As quiescat says, funding modifiers are applied whenever a funding-affecting event happens. The monthly report simply shows you the overall change for that month; it isn't strictly speaking when the changes are applied.

The issue you had with the alien base (I think) is that an alien base does funding damage for every day (or whatever) it exists. As such, if you want to minimise their effects you need to hit them quickly.

1. When and how are rosters for soldiers to hire updated? At the beginning of each month? I was struggling with only being able to select from a list of pathetic candidates, and then a slate of new ones suddenly became available...

2. How is the potential for a funding region to be lost calculated? I had an alien base appear in N Africa right about the beginning of October, and I deliberately let it sit there until the 30th, figuring it would be ok so long as I got to it before the end-of-the-month review (and to give myself a little more time to build a few more suits of armor). I successfully assaulted it, and then watched in chagrin as N Africa bailed anyhow?

Answer to question one: every start of month and on every hiring.When you hire somebody it instantly adds another soldier to the list. A possible tactic to get some good rookies is to save and the order up all available and check if the new ones are any good and reload if you don't like the result.

The game is supposed to have a pool that is refreshed every month.

When you hire someone they are replaced by someone from that pool until it is exhausted.

If you fire anyone then they are supposed to go back into the pool to prevent people hiring and firing loads of troops to cherry pick the best.

Thank you everybody for the answers.

Yes, I knew that when you hired one soldier, another one then became available. But I went to hire some and suddenly had a whole new slate of (much better) candidates available, and suspected the list was refreshed at the start of a month. Thanks for the confirmation

My mistake with the base was assuming that so long as I destroyed it before the end-of-month review, things would be gravy. I didn't realize, as quiescat and kabill point out, that its presence was applying continual damage to NA's morale. Even if I would've known this, I probably still would've waited until I was strong enough to assault it without committing suicide, in the hopes that the bonus for wiping the base out was greater than the negative influence it had generated to date. Obviously, it wasn't.

This leads me to a follow-up question, if anybody knows the answer. I came here from extensive XCom:EW playing, and that game features a "doom tracker" that lets you know quite succinctly how many funding nations you can lose before it's game over. How many can you lose in Xenonauts? I assume there is no fixed number, but if you lose 2 or 3 or 4 should you fold up your tent, as your financial needs will eventually become unsupportable? Can ground assault income alone keep you going?

My mistake with the base was assuming that so long as I destroyed it before the end-of-month review, things would be gravy. I didn't realize, as quiescat and kabill point out, that its presence was applying continual damage to NA's morale. Even if I would've known this, I probably still would've waited until I was strong enough to assault it without committing suicide, in the hopes that the bonus for wiping the base out was greater than the negative influence it had generated to date. Obviously, it wasn't.

This leads me to a follow-up question, if anybody knows the answer. I came here from extensive XCom:EW playing, and that game features a "doom tracker" that lets you know quite succinctly how many funding nations you can lose before it's game over. How many can you lose in Xenonauts? I assume there is no fixed number, but if you lose 2 or 3 or 4 should you fold up your tent, as your financial needs will eventually become unsupportable? Can ground assault income alone keep you going?

Actually, I don't think destroying bases gives you any bonus (other than taking away the ongoing penalty). Never occurred to me to check, though.

In terms of losing, the number of blocs you can lose before losing the game depends on difficulty. I think it's something like 8 for easy, 6 for normal, 4 for veteran and 3 for insane (these might not be exactly right, but it's close enough I think). I'm not sure there's any way to know this without looking in the game files, though.

Actually, I don't think destroying bases gives you any bonus (other than taking away the ongoing penalty). Never occurred to me to check, though.

In terms of losing, the number of blocs you can lose before losing the game depends on difficulty. I think it's something like 8 for easy, 6 for normal, 4 for veteran and 3 for insane (these might not be exactly right, but it's close enough I think). I'm not sure there's any way to know this without looking in the game files, though.

Well, if you don't get any bonus for destroying a base, it's no wonder I lost that region lol

Good to know that losing one or two funding blocs won't end things (though I'm sure it hampers your finances). Still wish there was a way to recover them, though. I think a heavily-armed squad should be able to go in and "persuade" the regional governments to restart their funding :)

Thank you for the helpful information